Send/receive Sms Via Pandora?

Sploshi

Still Fresh
I've found a site that allows you to send and receive text messages from your phone to your contacts:

http://www.bloove.com/

I've read through it and it sounds like it could work. Unfortunately, my phone is about 7 years old and doesn't support the app you need for the site to connect to your phone.

Could someone try and test this out so we know whether it works? (List of supported phones: https://www.bloove.com/en/site/supported_phones)

I think this could be a really useful feature for Pandora, no need to carry your phone around with you :)

Josh Yaxley said:
I've found a site that allows you to send and receive text messages from your phone to your contacts:

http://www.bloove.com/

I've read through it and it sounds like it could work. Unfortunately, my phone is about 7 years old and doesn't support the app you need for the site to connect to your phone.

Could someone try and test this out so we know whether it works? (List of supported phones: https://www.bloove.com/en/site/supported_phones)

I think this could be a really useful feature for Pandora, no need to carry your phone around with you :)

- Dude!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora isn't a phone though. It doesn't have any ability to send SMS messages (without a USB stick). I don't know how you expect this to work. :blink:

I can't see this working... but there are other sites that let you type an sms and enter a mobile number to send it to. The only problem is you can't receive replies.

I don't think this has anything to do with sending text messages, it just seems to provide a web frontend to managing the messages (and contacts and other things) that are stored on your phone.

Wait, further reading says it allows you to "Send SMS/Initiate calls", which I take to mean that it tells your phone to do that. Since the Pandora can't do that on its own, this program will not make it capable.

Tensuke said:
Google Voice ftw! Too bad it's US only, for those of you who can't use it...

+1 to the GV. Sortof works in canada too, in certain areas and if you've figured out how to back-dial friends in the USA :)

10. How send SMS function is working?Server will send command to the agent, agent on the phone initiates sending the message on your behalf. Most J2ME phones require user confirmation to send SMS.

The phone is connected via wifi, I guess the app needs to be running to grant access. You can apparently access your phones features from the Pandora, including sending a message.

I will give it a bash when I get my Pandora back.

Pleng said:
10. How send SMS function is working?Server will send command to the agent, agent on the phone initiates sending the message on your behalf. Most J2ME phones require user confirmation to send SMS.

The phone is connected via wifi, I guess the app needs to be running to grant access. You can apparently access your phones features from the Pandora, including sending a message.

I will give it a bash when I get my Pandora back.

Yeah this is what I assumed.

Unfortunately my phone is too old to work AND I haven't convinced my parents to let me buy a Pandora yet :p

I can't think why it wouldn't work though if I'm honest because if it doesn't require any special software when using it with a computer (apart from the agent app for your phone) then surely it will function the same without any special software on a Pandora? (i.e. using just an internet browser)

Exactly. I can't actually download it on my phone. Mine is one of those Chinaphone jobbies but uually presents itself as a Sony Erricson W810i. It wasn't automatically detected by the download page in Opera so I tried manually selecting it When I clicked download I got a bizzare 'GPRS not detected' message. That's a new one for me! :p

Hmmm that's annoying :/

We need someone to test it for us :(
Do you have a friend whose phone you could borrow maybe?

If this works I'll probably buy a new phone (the cheapest compatible one of course :p)

Josh Yaxley said:
Do you have a friend

No :p

Seriously, the only friend who would allow me to test something on his phone has an Android phone which, bizarrely isn't supported.

And i don't even have my Pandora back yet :(

I think I had a program like this for my RAZR, it was awesome actually, when you got a text it would pop up on my macbook instead of my phone, and I could type the messages on the computer and send them. It was very very convenient, and I hope that this works because it would be awesome to text on the nice keyboard.

You can do this from pidgin =|

Just add a number ie +15553336666 as a buddy in AIM and IM away.

mawler said:
You can do this from pidgin =|

Just add a number ie +15553336666 as a buddy in AIM and IM away.

this is interesting

but

a) does it cost any money? (it must do?!!) and, more importantly
B) can you receive messages

Either way, it's still not as good as having a dedicated connection to your phone, because Pidgin relies on having a connection to the internet.

Pleng said:
Either way, it's still not as good as having a dedicated connection to your phone, because Pidgin relies on having a connection to the internet.

Hmm... I think Bloove also requires an internet connection because it allows you to access your phone but only via the website I think.

I don't know for sure because I can't test it :(

With Pidgin though I doubt the contact will receive the text from your phone number, it'll probably be whatever e-mail you signed into Pidgin with.

Back