Pyra as a Phone

The community has decided to use a classic LCD screen with dedicated backlight instead of a slimmer OLED screen

To satisfy my curiosity, do you remember some of the arguments against OLED? I know that OLED screens have burn-in problems, at least in the past. Was there anything else? Does a separate backlight ease changing the brightness? Is OLED (still) too expensive?

Without any extra knowledge, and assuming burn-in has been solved or rendered irrelevant for the first 5 years of use, I would prefer OLED simply for the ability to have absolute black while having non-black at the same time.

To satisfy my curiosity, do you remember some of the arguments against OLED? I know that OLED screens have burn-in problems, at least in the past. Was there anything else?
The first that comes to my mind is aging. Being based on organic components means that the brightness will continue to degrade over time (using higher brightness = faster aging, even the temperature has a significant influence, the material has to be shielded from water and even oxygen due to corrosion...), and the subpixel colors tend to age differently, causing color shifts. It's not as bad as it used to be, but they still have a rather short lifetime. The Pandora and the Pyra are devices that are not getting replaced every few years, after all.

AFAIK, burn-in is still heavy in OLED devices. For a phone or TV it doesn't matter very much, as the image changes often and phone screens don't stay on for long.
Plus as said, blue LEDs dim quicker than the other. That's why most screens get a bluer image with the factory settings, so that it stays acceptable for longer.

I find the calls for changes (additional speaker, additional mic, camera, OLED, bottle opener) hilarious at this stage. Does anyone else sigh/giggle a bit when these requests keep coming up?
I get an internal facepalmesque feeling.

I find the calls for changes (additional speaker, additional mic, camera, OLED, bottle opener) hilarious at this stage. Does anyone else sigh/giggle a bit when these requests keep coming up?

I made no such request. I merely asked why OLED was avoided. My suspicion -- that it was avoided because of noticeable degradation over a reasonable working life -- was confirmed, thanks to the people who answered me. One can learn quite a bit about the state of current technology by asking questions like "why was technology X not used in the Pyra?".

Perhaps in 10 year a Pyra successor will have an acceptable OLED screen or a very thin, flat, mult-lens camera (I believe those are in development) or whatever. Maybe OLED will be obsolete by then (though I doubt it).

Well at least the seeds have been planted for concideration when the P3 is designed in 10 - 15 years time.

But by then we will want built in VR. ..

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

Not really. If you start ignoring wishes from customers then you will not be able to adapt your product in the future.

That does not mean such wishes can or will be realized for the Pyra, but the Pandora was the result of a rather extensive wishlist thread.

The main probem is, that all this that all the wishes for additional features costs aditional money.

The Pyra is already expensive enough.
There are many complainings that the current price is to high.
When all the announced wishes would be built in, the Pyra would cost 1000€ to 1500€

There is a point, where we need to be realistic and knew where to stop.

There are at least two additional problems.

1st:
E.D. have to pay everything by himselfe before he is able to sell the pyra.
If the Pyra gets a additional camera which adds 50€ to the prica, E.D. have to pay 50000€ more production costs.

2nd:
We are now in the finishing-phase where the Pyra gets prepared for the production run.
(bug-search, product testing,....)
New features would means additional ONE to TWO YEARS development time, the need of new injection molds for the case,...
Which would add enormous additional costs and would lead to an at least doubled price of the Pyra.

Please stay calm an wait for the initial release of the Pyra.
Thanks to the modular design, new features could be added later.

Back