Release Possible do calls & SMS send/receive over inet/bt?

timofonic

GP Mafia
Hello.

Imagine I want to use a cellphone as a slave for Pandora. I would use it more for 3G internet connecting when outside home and receiving SMS messages.

I usually hate the way cellphones handles SMS, I prefer emails and don't understand why sms are still so popular, but I must live with them. I also don't like the keyboards used on them, I prefer something like the Pandora keyboard.

I also would use sending SMS messages and doing voice calls over internet with services like JustVoip, saving considerable amounts of money when calling to non-cellphone phone numbers too. JustVoip uses SIP open protocol, so there's no need to have a Skype client that have a lot more expensive calls to cellphones

I would like to get the most cheaper and smaller cellphone for being all time in my pocket. As I think there aren't SDIO or USB cards out there for this, this could be some kind of all-on-one solution. I could use a bt earphone for doing the calls. The point of this is able to discriminate the calls for calling in the cheapest way, using wifi or 3G for certain calls and even connecting to my own Asterisk (or other VoIP PBX software) server if there's some advantage of calling cheaper with certain VoIP provider or using my phone line.

Another interesting thing could be making Pandora my personal wireless phone in home, I would even be able of receive calls from my phone line from home.

For all this, some kind of small slow resources consuming daemon must run in the Pandora, that would be connected to my VoIP PBX software and cellphone all time when Pandora is power on.

Regards.

I can't answer any of your questions, but I want to tell you a little observation I made. Here in Germany, some mobile service providers inhibit the use of VoIP when you have a data plan. Just be careful when singning a contract :)

gerd said:
I can't answer any of your questions, but I want to tell you a little observation I made. Here in Germany, some mobile service providers inhibit the use of VoIP when you have a data plan. Just be careful when singning a contract :)

There's not problem at all. VoIP providers have SSL options and I can always connect to another machine as proxy :)

Here in Spain our mobile service providers doesn't inhibit VoIP connections, at least the ones I'm interested to use.

timofonic said:
Hello.

Imagine I want to use a cellphone as a slave for Pandora. I would use it more for 3G internet connecting when outside home and receiving SMS messages.

I usually hate the way cellphones handles SMS, I prefer emails and don't understand why sms are still so popular, but I must live with them. I also don't like the keyboards used on them, I prefer something like the Pandora keyboard.

I also would use sending SMS messages and doing voice calls over internet with services like JustVoip, saving considerable amounts of money when calling to non-cellphone phone numbers too. JustVoip uses SIP open protocol, so there's no need to have a Skype client that have a lot more expensive calls to cellphones

I would like to get the most cheaper and smaller cellphone for being all time in my pocket. [...]
Many in the Nokia Internet Tablet community think the same way (although some are in the opposite booth, i.e. they want a phone integrated into the same device).

3G internet connection via BT tethering should not be a problem, this is basically a standard Linux feature and should not need too much work to get working. On the Nokias this works very well indeed. The only issue is in locales where tethering is disallowed or made difficult by the cellphone carriers.

There is also an open source application called 'phonelink' (for maemo, but porting shouldn't be difficult) that can handle SMS. It depends a bit on the phone you own, apparently they have different interfaces to some extent. It uses 'gnokii'.
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/phonelink/
http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Config

As for interfacing with reception of calls and the like, I can't really answer.

I know in the US most carriers have a a part of their website that you can use to send SMS. So hopefully you can use the Pandora's web browser to do that until a solution you like better comes along. I know for sure T-Mobile has such a site, and Verizon did/does. Ymmv.

Back