How Many Gp2xs Have Been Sold?

MikeC

Still Fresh
Hi

Does anyone know how many GP2Xs have been sold so far (craigix maybe?). I was wondering how big a userbase we need in order to get big software houses interested and how close we are to it.

On a different note - is GPH or anyone else talking to popcap games? Commercial versions of games like Bejeweled and Zuma would be sweet. They have them on every other platform - even my mobile phone (for zuma). Maybe they would be interested.

Mike

MikeC posted on Jul 31 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
I was wondering how big a userbase we need in order to get big software houses interested and how close we are to it.
That's not going to happen. Ever.
(at least I severely doubt it.)

In any case, I'd be content with small software houses (like Moonpod, Chronic Logic, etc). Heck, I'm content with homebrew from regular enthusiasts, but some good commercial indie releases would rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was wondering the same thing today, cuz id like to see other companys developing things for it.. like an external hardrive or a battery pack.. like the PSP has got/is getting

^^ Yeah im too scared to open things like the gp2x up though.. have you done it?

It would rock if indie game publisher got interested in the gp2x, and I think it's the best market for them too. Especially now, when there are no commercial games yet. I mean, how easy is it to still get popular developing for pc's?

I don't care about popcap, we already have a Zuma clone and soon a bejeweled clone. :)

I think it would be a useful thing to know. Any potential commercial developer (big or small) is going to want to know the size of the userbase. No good putting months of work into the best piece of software ever if noone is going to buy it. You'll end up going bust!

Yes the gp2x has a great homebrew community and there are some nice games out there but if some of the commercial players get onboard then we get the best of both worlds. Its just about the games and I want more :)

oneandoneis2 posted on Jul 31 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
Given that the GP2X is Linux-based, you're more likely to get existing Linux games ported over than GP2X-specific commercial games, IMHO..

I agree - this is the most likely scenario. In fact at the moment its the ONLY scenario we have until payback gets released. Still - doesnt mean we cant dream.

Look what I found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable

A lesser rival is the GamePark 2X (having sold only 30,000 units as of May 2006): a Linux-based homebrew console by GamePark Holdings.

However, I don't see a citation for that state, so I just marked it :D

I too am interested in knowing how many units have been sold, though btw it says as of May 2006, and I believe the MK2 may have sold more copies by the time being.

Also found this:

GP32/2x Distribution Ltd has announced that the GP2X is now available in the UK. It is the successor to the GP32 handheld, which sold over 32,000 units. The console features a 240MHz processor, 64MB of RAM and 64MB of on-board NAND flash memory. It will retail for £124.99 in the UK.

GP32 has sold 32'000 units, maybe GP2X is somewhat near that, maybe not... though I truly feel that the GP2X has a LOT more support from users, forums, dev stuff, etc. so who knows.

A r k posted on Jul 31 2006 at 04:54 PM said:
Look what I found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable

A lesser rival is the GamePark 2X (having sold only 30,000 units as of May 2006): a Linux-based homebrew console by GamePark Holdings.

Cheers Ark - thanks for looking. Of course that info may be completely off base since its the wiki and quite possibly written by a sony fanboy.

Craigix should know. He does sell the things!

Shikaku posted on Jul 31 2006 at 08:21 AM said:
Opened it up? Yes. There are a lot of other people that have sucessfully attached and have accessed hard drives as well.
Of course, also made my own USB and Serial cable :).

oneandoneis2 posted on Jul 31 2006 at 10:33 AM said:
Given that the GP2X is Linux-based, you're more likely to get existing Linux games ported over than GP2X-specific commercial games, IMHO..
GP2X would have a lot more Linux game ports if the screen had a 640x480 resolution (but still 320x240 size).

The 150,000 figure was what Gamepark used to claim, after visiting the factory I asked and the real figure was about 30k.

The GP2X has not yet reached the GP32 total, however the GP32 took 4 years to reach 30k, the GP2X will beat it before the end of the year.

Before the end of the year, that means over 25k at least have been sold already? Or are really cool commercial games (that will convert everyone that doesn't already have a gp2x to buy one) going to be released around Q4?

well i bet come commercial games and the upcoming fullspeed with sound GBA emulator will convince a lot of people to buy one..

Back