How Many Gp2x's Sold? How Much Longer?

Don't buy it then, but I don't intend to miss out just because you don't want something.

christo930 said:
I don't understand this line of thinking from a retrogaming website. While GP32X is not a retrogaming website
Eh? The second part invalidates your leading point.

it is a website dedicated to a retro-gaming machine.

Maybe you use the machine for "retro gaming" (whatever that means), but that's not all this machine can do. Better to say "it is a website dedicated to an open platform that is used by some for retro-gaming". However, note that by all appearances this new machine will be better at "retro gaming" than the gp2x.

I certainly wouldn't buy a 3d gaming machine from korea or some other non comercial 3d gaming machine when I could just get a psp (used for about $150 or less).

You can get lots of stuff used for cheap prices, I'm not sure why that's relevant. We don't know how much this new console will cost used so we can't make a comparison. But looking at it purely from the perspective of emulation, forget the "3d" that you personally don't care about. It will run more emulators with higher quality than the gp2x. The graphics acceleration will help. Is that clear enough?

If your going to use the internet, why not just play on a pc or an xbox 360 or something?

If your [sic] going to use an emulator, why not just play on a pc or something?

Why is anyone trying to push a new handheld on the market when the existing one is not even near maxed out?

You're just afraid that a more powerful open platform will steal developers from the less powerful open platform you own, so you won't be handed as much free stuff in the future. That's life!

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930: The GP2X has a large software library already, and it will grow in size even after the new machine is out. I don't understand why you're so angry and against this new thing. The GP2X is a no-name handheld too, so why didn't you buy an NDS or a GBA instead? Just because something 'no-name' dares approach the specs of big-company devices doesn't mean you should shoot it down. It will, after all, be unique thanks to its openness to code and run whatever software you please on it.

Alex. said:
christo930: The GP2X has a large software library already, and it will grow in size even after the new machine is out. I don't understand why you're so angry and against this new thing. The GP2X is a no-name handheld too, so why didn't you buy an NDS or a GBA instead? Just because something 'no-name' dares approach the specs of big-company devices doesn't mean you should shoot it down. It will, after all, be unique thanks to its openness to code and run whatever software you please on it.
Couldn't agree more.
It just opens a new toy and some more emulation.
Think positive and enjoy.

christo930 said:
Unfathomable Depths said:
RockOut said:
I love all of the classic open source games, etc. but wouldn't quake 3 support with wifi be a bit better?
Anyone else missing Telco?

I don't understand this line of thinking from a retrogaming website. While GP32X is not a retrogaming website it is a website dedicated to a retro-gaming machine. I certainly wouldn't buy a 3d gaming machine from korea or some other non comercial 3d gaming machine when I could just get a psp (used for about $150 or less). Isn't quake 3 available for NDS or PSP? Why buy a no name korean machine to play Quake 3? How many of your friends are going to own one so you can use the wi-fi support? If your going to use the internet, why not just play on a pc or an xbox 360 or something? Why is anyone trying to push a new handheld on the market when the existing one is not even near maxed out? Is anyone deluded into thinking that nothing more can be accomplished with this machine? At minimum, Picodrive proves that you can use the second processor for sound support and speed up the emulation a lot. And that's minimum. I don't know about the other people here, but I don't have 2-300 dollars or pounds or whatever to dump on a new machine every year or 2. I just got my GP2X, but even if I had got it a year ago, I wouldn't be willing to invest in a new machine for at least 2 years.

Chris

quake 3 on the psp yeah right you must be dreaming. Quake 3 only on windows ce for dell axims. For internet the psp browser is good but you have to choose each letter suing a analog stick :[ To me this is like a pda but with gaming controls kinda of like the zodiac. Personally iam buying a pda and think it is better of then this system for right now becuase they got a full speed psx emu and Quake 3 and etc.

christo930 said:
...retro-gaming machine.
For you maybe. Personally I've never used an emulator on the gp2x, and I can count the number of emulated games I've played on the gp32 on the fingers of one hand.

Alex. said:
I am not angry about it, but I am against putting out a new machine already. The reason I didn't buy an NDS is that I'm not interested in 3d games and the GBA isn't a good platform for emulation. I am willing to buy a no-name korean game system because I love the idea of retrogames in my pocket. I also like the idea of being able to play games from different systems all in one system and have that system in my pocket. But for mainstream current games, I don't have to do that, I can just buy a modern commercial handheld. The lure of the GP32 and GP2X is the emulation and the homebrewn games.

Chris

woogal said:
christo930 said:
...retro-gaming machine.
For you maybe. Personally I've never used an emulator on the gp2x, and I can count the number of emulated games I've played on the gp32 on the fingers of one hand.

I never play emulators on the GP2x either, only homebrew games. Now, about homebrew games, Lacuna port?

Will there be a Lacuna port on the next console?

Dzz said:
christo930 said:
I don't understand this line of thinking from a retrogaming website. While GP32X is not a retrogaming website
Eh? The second part invalidates your leading point.

it is a website dedicated to a retro-gaming machine.

Maybe you use the machine for "retro gaming" (whatever that means), but that's not all this machine can do. Better to say "it is a website dedicated to an open platform that is used by some for retro-gaming". However, note that by all appearances this new machine will be better at "retro gaming" than the gp2x.

I certainly wouldn't buy a 3d gaming machine from korea or some other non comercial 3d gaming machine when I could just get a psp (used for about $150 or less).

You can get lots of stuff used for cheap prices, I'm not sure why that's relevant. We don't know how much this new console will cost used so we can't make a comparison. But looking at it purely from the perspective of emulation, forget the "3d" that you personally don't care about. It will run more emulators with higher quality than the gp2x. The graphics acceleration will help. Is that clear enough?

If your going to use the internet, why not just play on a pc or an xbox 360 or something?

If your [sic] going to use an emulator, why not just play on a pc or something?

Why is anyone trying to push a new handheld on the market when the existing one is not even near maxed out?

You're just afraid that a more powerful open platform will steal developers from the less powerful open platform you own, so you won't be handed as much free stuff in the future. That's life!

Nearly 100% of the software available for the GP32 or GP2X is either emulation of older systems or simple home brewn games (simple doesn't mean bad). So like I said, the website is not about retrogaming, but 2 machines that are used almost exclusively for retro-gaming.

My point about the used psp is that if you want 3d games there are mainstream systems that handle 3d games just fine. No need for a new system for that. Thats not to say that new systems should never be developed, but I think a system with killer 3d graphics does not appeal to retrogamers.

Pc's don't fit in my pocket, if they did I would use them. Pointing out minor spelling mistakes is really useful I'm glad you did it.

You're right, I don't want developers who are supporting retrogaming to move on to more mainstream gaming. I don't expect the GP2X to be supported forever but I think 4 years is reasonable. And I don't like the fact that the system is being hyped up right now, drawing interest away from something that is here and now vs something that may or may not appear.

Chris

sam fisher said:
I never play emulators on the GP2x either, only homebrew games. Now, about homebrew games, Lacuna port?

Lacuna will appear again, but probably not on the gp2x. The controls never felt right to me, and instead of complaining about the joystick like many people chose to do I decided it's better to work within the limitations of the device and not try and fight against it.

One idea I'm playing around with at the moment is seeing how it would work on the wii now that Opera have released details about reading the roll of the remote with javascript. Could be cool, or it could be crap. If it's crap I'll never release it, if it's cool expect to see it in a browser near you in a few months.

woogal said:
christo930 said:
...retro-gaming machine.
Most of the home brewn stuff is far more similar to retrogames than anything mainstream. There are exceptions and they may be what you primarily use the systems for, but going by what I read in the forums, most people like the older style games and the emulation.

Chris

woogal said:
sam fisher said:

Lacuna will appear again, but probably not on the gp2x. The controls never felt right to me, and instead of complaining about the joystick like many people chose to do I decided it's better to work within the limitations of the device and not try and fight against it.

One idea I'm playing around with at the moment is seeing how it would work on the wii now that Opera have released details about reading the roll of the remote with javascript. Could be cool, or it could be crap. If it's crap I'll never release it, if it's cool expect to see it in a browser near you in a few months.

Cool, I still use my GP32's solely for lacuna :D

I think that the point has value - by announcing a new "successor" to the GP2x, the lifespan of the 2x has been given an end-date. Does anyone seriously think that any of the significant developers we have now will continue to dev for the 2x? Of course not. Even though the new machine is not yet available for general use, many devs will likely look at their 2x in a very different light, and not a favourable one at that.

I've had mine for a good 6 months, and at the end of its life, I've just got Outrun on MAME. NeoGeo has finally become playable at sane clockspeeds, as has CPS2. Some excellent homebrew has been brought forth by the recent competition. SNES almost became playable, but looks like it never will be now. Amiga, ditto.

On the bright side, my DS will still be going strong a year or two from now. And will continue to be supported even when its successor comes out, if support for the GBA is anything to go by...

I must confess, I am a little excited by the new machine, but I'll certainly not be buying one until the inevitable "stupid mistakes" have been ironed out, maybe second revision.

D.

predatorramboxxx said:
ahh salewise it's basically already dead. I don't think very many gp2xs have been sold from retailers these past months. I know a lot are sold on ebay.
Well, the ones on eBay were mostly old First Editions and MK1 by craig. ;)

I didn't have decreasing sales lately. I actually did sell four systems today (and I'm mostly only selling to Germany).

Last edited:
Dunny said:
On the bright side, my DS will still be going strong a year or two from now. And will continue to be supported even when its successor comes out, if support for the GBA is anything to go by...
You can't compare commercial support to hobbyist support. One's evil and the other one's not, guess which one's which ;)

Alex. said:
Dunny said:
You can't compare commercial support to hobbyist support. One's evil and the other one's not, guess which one's which ;)

You make a valid point, I must admit.

However, something just struck me - Lemmings DS. Seriously high quality homebrew there, and the homebrew scene on the DS is really only just getting started. I believe that because there's a "commercial" support for the machine, homebrew will continue to be created for a good few years to come. And like the 2x, it will improve massively.

For me, the main reason I got the 2x was because of Craig. I know (of) him of old, from when he wrote speccy remakes of JSW, and so trusted his review of the 2x - which is what convinced me to buy one. In the UK, he's probably the main reason anyone bought a 2x. Similarly, Evildragon seems to be craig's counterpart in Germany (perhaps in Europe). Not sure about the other fella though. To my mind, these guys are the "commercial" support, or face, of the 2x - and they've quite publically withdrawn that support in favour of a new machine. I am confidently predicting the rapid decline of homebrew on the 2x from the first launch (if not sooner) onwards primarily because of this.

The people who spread the word, who hounded the press, who got the 2x out there have abandoned it. That's certainly how it looks from here. As I said, the DS will continue to be supported by the homebrew community simply because of the commercial backing it has - it remains a popular machine. Although the 2x is nowhere near as popular, I think that the same principle applies.

Just when I'd got a nearly playable Outrun too :(

D.

I wonder what will happen to GPH if this new console is from them? Will they go the way of GP? The market for hombrew linux portables is extremely small and has almost no room for competition! Unless they are the company providing this new handheld, they will probably rapidly decline into obscurity (just like GP). Unlike the commercial market where new commercial games can support the handheld, the linux handhelds must rely on hardware sales. So when a new handheld is released, the old ones will probably just die out.

invinciblegod said:
I wonder what will happen to GPH if this new console is from them? Will they go the way of GP? The market for hombrew linux portables is extremely small and has almost no room for competition! Unless they are the company providing this new handheld, they will probably rapidly decline into obscurity (just like GP). Unlike the commercial market where new commercial games can support the handheld, the linux handhelds must rely on hardware sales. So when a new handheld is released, the old ones will probably just die out.
It's already been said by the makers of the new console that it's nothing to do with GPH, why must you bring up theories based on impossibly altercations in the timeline?

I must have missed the part where they said GPH have nothing to do with it. Regardless, my original post has a very grave typo in it. I meant if the new handheld is NOT from GPH (which it isnt). Oops.

Back