How Many Gp2x's Sold? How Much Longer?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by christo930, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Orkie

Orkie Super Duper Mega GP Mania

Don't buy it then, but I don't intend to miss out just because you don't want something.

2. Dzz

Dzz stmia r0!, {r2-r9}

Eh? The second part invalidates your leading point.

it is a website dedicated to a retro-gaming machine.

Maybe you use the machine for "retro gaming" (whatever that means), but that's not all this machine can do. Better to say "it is a website dedicated to an open platform that is used by some for retro-gaming". However, note that by all appearances this new machine will be better at "retro gaming" than the gp2x.

I certainly wouldn't buy a 3d gaming machine from korea or some other non comercial 3d gaming machine when I could just get a psp (used for about $150 or less).

You can get lots of stuff used for cheap prices, I'm not sure why that's relevant. We don't know how much this new console will cost used so we can't make a comparison. But looking at it purely from the perspective of emulation, forget the "3d" that you personally don't care about. It will run more emulators with higher quality than the gp2x. The graphics acceleration will help. Is that clear enough?

If your going to use the internet, why not just play on a pc or an xbox 360 or something?

If your [sic] going to use an emulator, why not just play on a pc or something?

Why is anyone trying to push a new handheld on the market when the existing one is not even near maxed out?

You're just afraid that a more powerful open platform will steal developers from the less powerful open platform you own, so you won't be handed as much free stuff in the future. That's life!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  3. Alex.

Alex. Retired

christo930: The GP2X has a large software library already, and it will grow in size even after the new machine is out. I don't understand why you're so angry and against this new thing. The GP2X is a no-name handheld too, so why didn't you buy an NDS or a GBA instead? Just because something 'no-name' dares approach the specs of big-company devices doesn't mean you should shoot it down. It will, after all, be unique thanks to its openness to code and run whatever software you please on it.

4. rx_shorty

rx_shorty Member

Couldn't agree more.
    It just opens a new toy and some more emulation.
    Think positive and enjoy.

5. predatorramboxxx

predatorramboxxx Member

6. woogal

woogal Certified Guru

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
  7. christo930

christo930 Well-Known Member

I am not angry about it, but I am against putting out a new machine already. The reason I didn't buy an NDS is that I'm not interested in 3d games and the GBA isn't a good platform for emulation. I am willing to buy a no-name korean game system because I love the idea of retrogames in my pocket. I also like the idea of being able to play games from different systems all in one system and have that system in my pocket. But for mainstream current games, I don't have to do that, I can just buy a modern commercial handheld. The lure of the GP32 and GP2X is the emulation and the homebrewn games.

Chris

8. sam fisher

sam fisher Well-Known Member

9. christo930

10. woogal

woogal Certified Guru

11. christo930

12. sam fisher

13. Dunny

Dunny Exophase ApprovedĀ® Forum Troll

I think that the point has value - by announcing a new "successor" to the GP2x, the lifespan of the 2x has been given an end-date. Does anyone seriously think that any of the significant developers we have now will continue to dev for the 2x? Of course not. Even though the new machine is not yet available for general use, many devs will likely look at their 2x in a very different light, and not a favourable one at that.

I've had mine for a good 6 months, and at the end of its life, I've just got Outrun on MAME. NeoGeo has finally become playable at sane clockspeeds, as has CPS2. Some excellent homebrew has been brought forth by the recent competition. SNES almost became playable, but looks like it never will be now. Amiga, ditto.

On the bright side, my DS will still be going strong a year or two from now. And will continue to be supported even when its successor comes out, if support for the GBA is anything to go by...

I must confess, I am a little excited by the new machine, but I'll certainly not be buying one until the inevitable "stupid mistakes" have been ironed out, maybe second revision.

D.

14. icurafu

icurafu The Hallucinogenic Elf

Better safe then sorry I guess.

I'll be pre-ording as soon as I can and it is possible. Showing my support for the group behind this console.

15. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Well, the ones on eBay were mostly old First Editions and MK1 by craig. ;)

I didn't have decreasing sales lately. I actually did sell four systems today (and I'm mostly only selling to Germany).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  16. Alex.

Alex. Retired

You can't compare commercial support to hobbyist support. One's evil and the other one's not, guess which one's which ;)

17. Dunny

Dunny Exophase ApprovedĀ® Forum Troll

18. invinciblegod

invinciblegod Member

I wonder what will happen to GPH if this new console is from them? Will they go the way of GP? The market for hombrew linux portables is extremely small and has almost no room for competition! Unless they are the company providing this new handheld, they will probably rapidly decline into obscurity (just like GP). Unlike the commercial market where new commercial games can support the handheld, the linux handhelds must rely on hardware sales. So when a new handheld is released, the old ones will probably just die out.

19. sam fisher

It's already been said by the makers of the new console that it's nothing to do with GPH, why must you bring up theories based on impossibly altercations in the timeline?

20. invinciblegod

invinciblegod Member

I must have missed the part where they said GPH have nothing to do with it. Regardless, my original post has a very grave typo in it. I meant if the new handheld is NOT from GPH (which it isnt). Oops.