How Many Gp2xs Have Been Sold?

Draken posted on Jul 31 2006 at 07:25 PM said:
Before the end of the year, that means over 25k at least have been sold already? Or are really cool commercial games (that will convert everyone that doesn't already have a gp2x to buy one) going to be released around Q4?

Wait, what? How do you figure it would only sell 5K by the end of the year, Draken? I'd say it's closer to 20 than 25 thousand sold so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
30,000!
I honestly thought it would be a lot less (not trying to knock the gippex or anything).

yeah, 30k is pretty amazing for such a short time, compared to gp32 at least.
How much did the gizmondo sell? :)

Magnulus posted on Jul 31 2006 at 09:42 PM said:
Draken posted on Jul 31 2006 at 07:25 PM said:
Before the end of the year, that means over 25k at least have been sold already? Or are really cool commercial games (that will convert everyone that doesn't already have a gp2x to buy one) going to be released around Q4?

Wait, what? How do you figure it would only sell 5K by the end of the year, Draken? I'd say it's closer to 20 than 25 thousand sold so far.

Nah, just guessed, I'm not good with these nummers but I would asume 5k is still quite a lot for a few months time.

DaveN posted on Jul 31 2006 at 09:39 PM said:
According to the german wikipedia nearly a million. I thought it was much less..
Bis zur Einstellung der Produktion Anfang 2006 wurden fast eine Million Gizmondos verkauft.

The giz sold around 10,000 units.

DaveN posted on Jul 31 2006 at 02:39 PM said:
According to the german wikipedia nearly a million. I thought it was much less..
I find that very difficult to believe. Consider for example:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/08/business/game.php

"But sales have been lackluster. Six months after Gizmondo was introduced in Britain, Tiger recorded $1.7 million in revenue, equivalent to about 5,000 units sold. U.S. sales figures have not been released."

Note by the way that roughly 15 million PSPs have been sold and even more DS's.

Paradox posted on Jul 31 2006 at 12:37 PM said:
well i bet come commercial games and the upcoming fullspeed with sound GBA emulator will convince a lot of people to buy one..

What is this full speed GBA emu you speak of. I have been looking for a good reason to stop carrying around all those GBA carts.

JaqMs posted on Jul 31 2006 at 10:25 AM said:
oneandoneis2 posted on Jul 31 2006 at 10:33 AM said:
Given that the GP2X is Linux-based, you're more likely to get existing Linux games ported over than GP2X-specific commercial games, IMHO..
GP2X would have a lot more Linux game ports if the screen had a 640x480 resolution (but still 320x240 size).

Hmm... both ratios are the same (320/240 = 4/3 = 640/480), so it depends purely on the pixel size on the screen (such as the difference between GB Micro and GBA or GBA SP, which do have the same res).

320x240 is really enough, 640x480 = too much, better buying of a laptop and play those games there :D

------

Thanks for the data, well it seems that the PSP fanguy maybe wasn't lying that much.

At the current screen size, there's really no point in giving it a 640x480 res. Sure, it'd be useful for text programs and PDF readers and such, but I don't think the games really need anything above 320x240 for a screen that size. Maybe, if there was ever made a clamshell version with a 4,5 inch screen (clamshell so that you didn't have to fit controls as well on the sides of that monster-screen) there could be a point to giving it a 640x480 res. It'd eat batteries something fierce, though, if you quadrupled the size of the screen.

EDIT: And no, I'm not actually requesting a clamshell GP2X design.

Magnulus posted on Aug 2 2006 at 04:18 PM said:
At the current screen size, there's really no point in giving it a 640x480 res. Sure, it'd be useful for text programs and PDF readers and such, but I don't think the games really need anything above 320x240 for a screen that size. Maybe, if there was ever made a clamshell version with a 4,5 inch screen (clamshell so that you didn't have to fit controls as well on the sides of that monster-screen) there could be a point to giving it a 640x480 res. It'd eat batteries something fierce, though, if you quadrupled the size of the screen.

EDIT: And no, I'm not actually requesting a clamshell GP2X design.

Plus the system is *mostly* used for emulation. A higher res screen would not be needed and would just encourage scaling which looks like crap on an LCD. You could do 2X on most stuff which wouldn't be as bad but you you would have to hope devs of emus would give you the option and not automatically do fractional scaling.

I am glad you are not suggesting clamshell as that would make playing vertically oriented MAME games and vertical shooters difficult.

Back