How Many Gp2x's Sold? How Much Longer?

skeezix said:
i) The new device will also be linux based, so if people are coding to Linux and not to the metal, then that stuff will port right over fairly easily

Actually, one feature I'd *really* like to see on the new machine is the option for the bootloader to boot from an SD card instead of always booting straight into Linux.

Of course Linux is great for things that need USB, ports of Linux media players, etc etc. But it'd be really nice to have a mode that allows it to be used like a super-GBA. Instant-on, able to write code directly on top of the metal with a nice flat memory map and no operating system in the way... Good for programmers, good for gamers. :)

That'd be *the* killer feature for me! B)

(edit) oops, probably not the right thread for this... :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sales in The Netherlands and Belgium are the same from day one. No decrease here.
Some obvious ups and downs after the Holidays (money do tend to run out) and Christmas (presents),or a review, but that's it.

If the price-gap is big enough between the new console and the gp2x (maybe a price-dropdown from GPH would be wise?),
there's a chance the two will peacefully exist together...

I for one hope this will be the case, as i still think the gp2x is a great handheld.

gp2x.info said:
Sales in The Netherlands and Belgium are the same from day one. No decrease here.
Some obvious ups and downs after the Holidays (money do tend to run out) and Christmas (presents),or a review, but that's it.

If the price-gap is big enough between the new console and the gp2x (maybe a price-dropdown from GPH would be wise?),

I for one hope this will be the case, as i still think the gp2x is a great handheld.
that was the sanest thing i ever read. a pricedrop would indeed have a positive effect on the 2x install base. And the new machine would attract the interest of people who want a more powerful machine. they can coexist catering for different needs

that was the sanest thing i ever read. a pricedrop would indeed have a positive effect on the 2x install base. And the new machine would attract the interest of people who want a more powerful machine. they can coexist catering for different needs

The problem is that GPH never listens to us. I can't drop the price, so it has to be done by GPH.
And i am not sure if it's even possible to lower the price at all, as i have no idea what GPH margins are.

Firefox said:
Actually, one feature I'd *really* like to see on the new machine is the option for the bootloader to boot from an SD card instead of always booting straight into Linux.

Of course Linux is great for things that need USB, ports of Linux media players, etc etc. But it'd be really nice to have a mode that allows it to be used like a super-GBA. Instant-on, able to write code directly on top of the metal with a nice flat memory map and no operating system in the way... Good for programmers, good for gamers. :)

That'd be *the* killer feature for me! B)

I agree! :lol:
And a palm emulator inside the new machine(to support all these litle great programs palmos have(no games))

gp2x.info said:

That would be ideal, but there is nobody paying GamePark licensing fees like those that get paid to Nintendo and Sony. Gamepark needs to make money on each GP2X sold. Now what they could do, is redesign the machine with fewer parts taking advantage of new technology, find a cheaper manufacturer, the major parts should be cheaper than they were 2 years ago as well. They could also make some accessories for the machine and make more money there. There are ways to reduce costs, especially 2-3 years into the the machine's life. Many of the machines major components should now be cheaper and they are making money off of the dock and they could also develop other accessories like a wireless adapter or a rechargable battery pack attaches to the battery compartment and hugs the back of the machine...

Chris

I made the mistake of thinking the PSP was the same as a GP2X because it did homebrew and emulation. I was also stuck at that point in time, with no way to actually buy either the GP32 or GP2X, so I opted for the next "supposedly" best option.

I'll tell you now, it wasn't. PSP Homebrew, the actual programs and such were very nice, but the handheld wasn't at all. See I was the idiot who didn't read up on firmware updates, and how absolutely horrid it would be for certain firmware installations, to allow any sort of homebrew.

The solution in my case, was that I not only needed a modified save file for GTA: LCL, but I also needed to run that game, leave it running for 5 minutes, and then load the file. I had to do this EVERY TIME I wanted to simply play an NES game for 5 minutes on the go. This was beyond annoying, and soon I would sell off my PSP, due to the actual commerical support being a complete letdown, and at the price I paid...It just wasn't living up to any potential at all for me.

Flash forward to this Saturday that just passed. I got a very large sum of money in Paypal, and I'm looking online again. I realize the GP2X is still being sold, alongside all the extras I wanted, and faster then you could blink, I was already paying for a very large bundle.

I don't even have the damn thing yet, but I have tried a few out in the last year, and after playing the "Wind and Water" demo, I was offically sold from that point on, because not only could it emulate things better then I'd seen the supposedly "amazing" PSP run emulation, but it also had an amazing community that while I had only lurked around for about a year or so, never showed me the signs of wear I often see when it comes to these things. It took one indy game demo, and a NeoGeo emulator running, to convince me I needed one of these.

So the point of this longwinded message is that, while the sales will eventually stop, the GP2X won't die until every last person with one stops using it. Someone else said it earlier in this thread, probably better then I did, but I'm just going to agree that just because sales end, doesn't mean a console or handheld ends. I mean look at the Dreamcast. Last time I checked, homebrew and such are still being developed for it...and the DC is how old now?

Even if development stopped overnight on the GP2X, you still have so many games, emulators, and in genernal a software library, that is not going to get "old" anytime soon. Maybe it's because I'm new to all this, but I can't ever see the GP2X dying. I mean it's pretty much the defacto indy development handheld in NY, and those who own it, consider it a godsend because of what it can do NOW. I mean I'm here for what is currently available, not the future.

If the future brings more, great. If not, still great times to be had...and consider what works now, and how well it works, I can't even fathom the GP2X dying. I mean the GP32 is still alive, just not the spotlight star it once was.

P.S.- Palm emulator? Just buy a Zodiac II if you want to play PALM OS games on the go. It's also an interesting homebrew handheld in it's own right.

Armake21 said:
P.S.- Palm emulator? Just buy a Zodiac II if you want to play PALM OS games on the go. It's also an interesting homebrew handheld in it's own right.

I own a zodiac2 yet.

I like palm games.
But I think more like litle palm utilities like checklist.

Or some kind of resident memory palm emulation program that can trigger alarms to the handheld.
I'm not refering to palm os 5.x cobalt. Early palm os versions are enough for me. :)

There are a lot of litle curious palm programs than can be done now by GP2X.Perhaps they exist yet. I don't have a GP2X.
Like:

Torch, moving board, converter, lightning, parking lot.

There are more useful programs like Pdoan. Using the pc to enter the info and copying to GP2X.

Edit:better phrases, same meaning.

woogal said:
Firefox said:

The GP2X has been able to do that for ages with a custom uboot. http://www.artaylor.co.uk/gp2x/dev/u-boot.html

Oh, I know. I meant as part of the official firmware, so it would be reasonable to make games (or other software) written "on the metal" and people would be able to play them without having to reflash their console to do so.

Armake21 said:
If the future brings more, great. If not, still great times to be had...and consider what works now, and how well it works, I can't even fathom the GP2X dying. I mean the GP32 is still alive, just not the spotlight star it once was.
Well when the GP2X ws released the GP32 was dropped by devs like a hot potato. The same thing will likely happen to the GP2X when the "new system" is released. The only way that won't happen is if they totaly screw it up, like give it horrible controls or something like that. Since I doubt that will happen the GP2X will probably be dropped fast unfortunatly. Since the new one is still quite a ways off yet from what has been said, it would still make sense to get a GP2X for now if you don't want to wait a year or so. When the new one comes you can always get it at that time.

There was no way I was going to wait any longer to buy a GP2X, since it's already a shame I missed out on the GP32. This seems like the type of device that I will be using for a LONG time. First for just play, and then perhaps for development, if I can learn the how to do that. I now have a job unlike before, so buying the new one(and hunting down a GP32) isn't a much of a problem anymore.

This topic is very similar to one on the Tapland forum, in which many people question how long it will be before the Zodiac II dies and people move on. This is somewhat interesting, since many will claim the Zod2 was DOA, but for a dedicated community, it'll thrive till the community dies. The thing is still alive, long after the developers of it pulled the plug.

Not the first time this has happened, and certainly not the last. The pros and cons then fall directly on the users who own whatever is now "dead" sales wise.

Considering how long I've been lurking here, and seeing just how much of a community the GP32 and GP2X has to it, I highly doubt it's ever going to really die. Nothing new may come development wise, but I doubt the interest will just drop right away. This isn't even covering the following these two handhelds have built up as of late. Back when I first heard about it, I had no clue what it was. Now I know what it is, and even got to mess around on one, because people I know actually had one. I think the problem was, the GP2X wasn't a commercial bandwagon like other handhelds. Not to tarnish Nintendo or Sony...but I'd rather play the classics then these "3D" games that seem to be all the rage.

I forget who said it here, but I'll agree with the statement that, if I want to play a 3D game, I'll go fire up my Xbox 360 and enjoy some very nice 3D gaming. Sure you have the good 3D handheld games, but the majority aren't that great, and often...it's just 2D gameplay with a 3D coating.

The hell with with that. I like my 2D, my old school, and my sprites. I mean if you look at the most successful handheld games, you'll find the majroity are in fact completely 2D, with most of the crown winners on the GBA. Even on the DS, was Castlevania really that 3D? The core was the same great 2D gameplay of the classics. This is why I think the GP2X will live for a very long time. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but more and more I see people going back in time versus forward, and 2D gaming is coming back, even if many people don't want to admit to this, the proof is pretty much right there, even on the store shelves.

Also worth noting, I'm a guy who still has some very old consoles and hardware, so maybe I'm a tad baised towards older stuff, but I found nothing but joy with these "old farts" of the gaming generations, and in some cases with the Amiga and Commodore 64, computers that while archaic in many modern gamers eyes, still rock like nothing else.

Archon never gets old, and never will. As long as I can play that on my GP2X, the thing is NEVER going to bore me. My point in total being, so long as I have those key games from my youth, I'll be a happy camper.

This is without even mentioning that Cave Story is now on the GP2X. That fact alone, will sell people on owning it, because playing Cave Story when your stuck at work or somewhere trying to kill time? Absolutely perfect for just that...unlike more recent handheld games I've seen, that seem to think they are full out console experiences. I don't need 30+ hours, I just need fun that I can play for 5 minutes or 5 hours without being bored.

Quite a book of a post, but I'm known to post long ones XD Anyway, this is the abridged version of my thoughts on this topic :blink:

Armake21 said:
I forget who said it here, but I'll agree with the statement that, if I want to play a 3D game, I'll go fire up my Xbox 360 and enjoy some very nice 3D gaming. Sure you have the good 3D handheld games, but the majority aren't that great, and often...it's just 2D gameplay with a 3D coating.
It was the guy above you :D .

I stll own 3 GP32`s (though i only use one specific one, Which has been "Pencil Tricked" and clocks to 209mhz (200mhz stable)) and use it way more than i`ll ever use my GP2x. MegaDrive, Nes, SMS, and PCEngine are king on the GP32 (which is all i need at the moment), Ooow, And the stick on the GP32 is sooo much better than the GP2x`s. The GP32 was my first handheld and will ALWAYS have a place in my heart gp32_console :wub: .

Trooper

Armake21 said:
This topic is very similar to one on the Tapland forum, in which many people question how long it will be before the Zodiac II dies and people move on.

The hell with with that. I like my 2D, my old school, and my sprites. I mean if you look at the most successful handheld games, you'll find the majroity are in fact completely 2D, with most of the crown winners on the GBA. ...

Also worth noting, I'm a guy who still has some very old consoles and hardware, so maybe I'm a tad baised towards older stuff, but I found nothing but joy with these "old farts" of the gaming generations, and in some cases with the Amiga and Commodore 64, computers that while archaic in many modern gamers eyes, still rock like nothing else.
Well the nice thing about the GP2X as far as it going away, is when it does you will always be able to get batteries for it :) Unlike the Zodiac with it's custom built in battery that is a real pain to replace that won't be a problem with the GP2X. The stick on the GP2X is not great but if you are used to trying to get the zodiac analog to co-operate in a digital game the GP2X is an improvement there. I modded my GP2X with a d-pad and it is fine now.

Some here also get the idea that I hate 3D. I don't hate 3D, I love it. I can't wait to start laying "Bioshock" on the Xbox 360. I just don't think it translates very well to a small handheld screen. It is not too "immersive" at such a small size. Hand drawn pixel art, a lost art, looks very good on such a screen though.

It is nice to have all of these old systems in one small spot.

trooper said:
Armake21 said:
It was the guy above you :D .

I stll own 3 GP32`s (though i only use one specific one, Which has been "Pencil Tricked" and clocks to 209mhz (200mhz stable)) and use it way more than i`ll ever use my GP2x. MegaDrive, Nes, SMS, and PCEngine are king on the GP32 (which is all i need at the moment), Ooow, And the stick on the GP32 is sooo much better than the GP2x`s. The GP32 was my first handheld and will ALWAYS have a place in my heart gp32_console :wub: .

Trooper

You're killing me XD

Now I want a GP32 even MORE.

Oh well, in time...I'll amass an army of GP2X's, because if I like it enough, I'll buy a bunch and keep them for reasons that when mine finally goes the way of the dinosaurs, pogs, and slap bracelets, I'll have a whole slew to replace it.

I'll figure I'll find a GP32 by the year 2012 though :lol:

Armake21 said:
You're killing me XD

Now I want a GP32 even MORE.

Oh well, in time...I'll amass an army of GP2X's, because if I like it enough, I'll buy a bunch and keep them for reasons that when mine finally goes the way of the dinosaurs, pogs, and slap bracelets, I'll have a whole slew to replace it.

I'll figure I'll find a GP32 by the year 2012 though :lol:
The GP32 is OK but most emus are not as good with the exception of PC-Engine. There is no SegaCD, Neo Geo, CPS2, Amiga, playable GBA, etc. The screen is also incredibly washed out and dim. The stick is better though.

Question: is there even a suggestion as to when the unit will be unleashed? I would presume sometime in 08, but I remain curious.

The main reasons I've put off getting a GP2X are partly because I really don't need a portable game system right now. I work, not very much dead air time to whip out a unit, I can't think of too many other times I would need it aside from the usual waiting now and again in life. That, and the actual power of the unit. If the new one could emulate N64 and PSX titles and could even include a GPS (like I've heard rumors of) and maybe even include net support. I would definitely get it then.

Back