How is the Pyra supply chain holding up during the pandemic?

monty

Self contained question in the headline really. One for ED if he sees it.

I know from my own business that PCB manufacture is especially hit hard. Other components are flowing but with big backlogs of orders.

Given the advanced state of the Pyra manufacturing and stock, what effect will the current pandemic have on your business?

To be clear I am asking this as someone concerned with the business itself surviving, not with so much of a concern for delays to customers getting their Pyras, which is hardly the most important thing right now.

I want to know the answer too because I am concerned with the customers (i.e. me) receiving their Pyra.

Also, is ED's business doing bad? I hope not. It's one of my favourite businesses.

Monty,

First, of all, if you want news, look at what E.D. already posted: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/members/evildragon.1/#latest-activity

Feb 23, 2020
The only thing missing for the first 550 units are the heat-sinks (they come from China, but there are plenty of sources so it won't be an issue), heat silicone mat (coming from Germany), packaging, sticker and manual (all from Germany), the heatpipe-strips (plenty in stock at Mouser).... and that's it.
GC already has the parts for the CPU boards and display boards and all the non-common stuf for the next 500,

Some general information:
  • Chinese industry, outside of Wuhan, is just fine. They just get less orders, depending on the branch; except for masks and other high-demand medical supplies.
  • Webshops are doing ok, it's brick and mortar shops that took a plunge. But when people are restless and panicked, they tend to buy less entertainment things.
  • E.D. Also edits hockey matches... my guess is that those matches are cancelled.
  • The PCB's are in, all that is required is those things mentioned by E.D. Which is relatively fast because it's within Germany. However, due to measures taken by Germany, the production is affected a bit (less active personnel).
  • Software-wise we are not there yet, but that will take half a year or so to iron out the bugs (like powersaving when on standby). But it's just one apt-get install away.
After those 500 are sold, and E.D. gets more money in from the full payment (as we only did downpayments), then there is money again for the next batch. And let's hope that by then it is summer and the virus goes back to dormant mode.
For the second batch I am a bit more careful, as we buy in small quantities, and there, with the backlogs, I think vendors will choose big orders first, to get money back into their business... so we might get pushed down the waiting queue more than that were are now.

The stars say: Around June: https://whenisthenexteclipse.com/2020-vision-the-six-lunar-and-solar-eclipses-of-2020/

And you will hear of delays and rumors of delays. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the delivery date is not yet. For hardware will rise against hardware, and software against software, and there will be famines, pestilences and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains. ...
From the book of the Dragon, chapter 12:4

Last edited:
Thank you FBnil and ED. I had missed the update you mentioned. I tend to just look at the original posts on the Official News board, the last of which was January.

Back