Hip Hop Trivia Thread

Of course I've heard of those artist but did those artists make an impact on the main charts? :ph34r:

And I only know of a rapper who was on Unsolved Mysterys :p

mdinire said:
Of course I've heard of those artist but did those artists make an impact on the main charts? :ph34r:
Haven't you ever heard of Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's The Message? Or the aforementioned Rapper's Delight? I believe each of these sold more than Walk This Way, and if not, close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?

'"Rapper's Delight" hit #36 on the U.S. pop charts, #4 on the U.S. R&B charts, and #3 on the UK singles chart.'

Walk This Way [1986]
* #4 (US Billboard Hot 100)
* #8 (US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks)
* #6 (US Hot Dance Club Play)
* #13 (US Hot Dance Singles Sales)
* #8 (UK Singles Chart)

As for the Message I can't find any info on chart positions but Walk this Way looks like the bigger commercial hit to me, I wasn't born then though :lol:

mdinire said:
Really?

'"Rapper's Delight" hit #36 on the U.S. pop charts, #4 on the U.S. R&B charts, and #3 on the UK singles chart.'

Walk This Way [1986]
* #4 (US Billboard Hot 100)
* #8 (US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks)
* #6 (US Hot Dance Club Play)
* #13 (US Hot Dance Singles Sales)
* #8 (UK Singles Chart)

As for the Message I can't find any info on chart positions but Walk this Way looks like the bigger commercial hit to me, I wasn't born then though :lol:

It could be the best selling rap song of the 80's, it won't make it the song that got rap into the mainstream ;)

Has everybody lost their damn minds? Read the rules - only me and DCGM can ask questions. And if you want to rant on about stuff not relating to the questions, leave this thread go to the discussion cube or something. These conversations only make the thread bigger and harder to search through for people who are actually interested in answering the questions. <_<

daclassicgamingmaster said:
This rapper was once thought to be the "hardest" in the industry....
Man, there's lots of artists who've been jailed or caught with drugs and weapons. This one will be tough, but is it DMX?

I really need to stop talking about him, but he did talk about him being the "hardest" in many of his songs.

It's ok Omars, as long as it's hip hop talk, who cares? We should be happy there are people on this forum who enjoy talking about it.

Anyway, no, not DMX. Here's a hint: People say he's gone soft...

Papoose must have the softest rap name, I mean seriously, papoose?

From WikiP:

• Cradle boards and other child carriers were used by Native American Indians and went by many names, but in the United States and the United Kingdom, the term papoose is used to a child carrier, many of which are similar to those used by Indians. Some are simple slings and others are similar to a rucksack; unlike rucksacks, papooses can be worn on either the front or the back.
  • Papoose is also the name of a small guitar, which has a sound comparable to the mandolin. Its tuning is different from that of a regular guitar - "ADGCEA" compared to a guitar's "EADGBE".
  • Papoose is also the Greek word for grandfather, παππούς.

Which one's he then? ;)

Well that showed me...

The answer's not Fiddy Cent is it?

mdinire said:
Is it Papoose
You got it!

Score: 25/50

DCGM - 7
mdinire - 4
OMars - 4
virusx - 3
Nova - 2
peelie - 2
triksR4rabits - 2
blah - 1

DCGM, whachyu got?

Nas seems to look up to and respect this rapper most. He even made a song about him.

Edit: extra point if you can name the song as well.

Edit 2: I have disambiguated the question. I did this not only to remove its ambiguity, but to use the word "disambiguate".

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Nas seems to look up to and respect this rapper most. He even made a song about him.

Edit: extra point if you can name the song as well.

Edit 2: I have disambiguated the question. I did this not only to remove its ambiguity, but to use the word "disambiguate".
Didn't he make a song called "the message", and the artist who made that song was Grandmaster flash. But I don't remember the lyrics, so I'm not sure if it's about him or not. :unsure:

Back