Mainstream Rap/hip=hop

as far as rap in 2006 I like the Bay Area scene and underground Dirty South rap :ph34r:

The south has too much laid back 'party' type songs. Don't get me wrong, I like some of it but when you listen to a lot of differant artists they mostly sound the same.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it will take me a while getting through them :).

kknd_cf posted on Jul 31 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
God you listen to some shit, try some MF DOOM, most people think his older stuff is better but it's all good I reckon, Ghostface and Nas are ok

Also try Edan and Cannibal Ox (real earth is epic).

for oldskool KMD are great, I don't know much else there.
MF DOOM........ :D I have so many of his songs on my harddrive, but he is kind of an "aquired taste". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
finty posted on Jul 31 2006 at 05:29 PM said:
The south has too much laid back 'party' type songs. Don't get me wrong, I like some of it but when you listen to a lot of differant artists they mostly sound the same.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it will take me a while getting through them :).

Ever heard of Z-Ro and Trae?...... B) ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 31 2006 at 12:52 PM said:
...never heard of him. Recommend some good songs?
Here's some of his new stuff:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Basket Case
Benzi Box
El Chupa Nibre
Mince Meat
No Names
Old School
Perfect Hair
Sofa King
Space Hos
The Mask

He has a lot, just "browse" for it at your "nearest store". :rolleyes:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 31 2006 at 06:21 PM said:
wait he does the theme for ATHF? NICE!

I have to downlo..er..buy some of his stuff.
It's not the theme, he just did a collaboration with Danger Mouse, and decided to make a song to summarize the lives of the ATHF on the album "Danger Doom". Cheers! :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 31 2006 at 09:16 PM said:
good stuff, certainly a nice break from whats current.

thanks guys :)

edit: hesh wedding rap is bloody hilarious.

That was my life story at one point, I kid you not.
I'm telling you man, there is a lot of awesome music out there :) , and even more horrible music. ;)

EDIT: You should also check out "They Reminisce Over You" by Pete Rock and CL Smooth, it's nineties music, I heard off of NBA Street: Volume 2.

OMars posted on Jul 31 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
kknd_cf posted on Jul 31 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
God you listen to some shit, try some MF DOOM, most people think his older stuff is better but it's all good I reckon, Ghostface and Nas are ok

Also try Edan and Cannibal Ox (real earth is epic).

for oldskool KMD are great, I don't know much else there.
MF DOOM........ :D I have so many of his songs on my harddrive, but he is kind of an "aquired taste". ;)
I have all his albums, it's all good. also for some cool chillax listen to special herbs sets.

finty posted on Jul 31 2006 at 12:38 AM said:
Some of the artists I have been listening to:
Ying Yang Twins

"Y'all hoes, get off my duts !"

Yono posted on Jul 30 2006 at 11:25 PM said:
Jurassic 5 are one of my favorites. Of course, I usually listen to DJs (no rapper) like DJ Qbert, DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Shadow, etc.

J5 are fucking great; excellent example of old-shool style hip-hop being performed by modern day mc's. Every member of J5 is solid, and Casual's solo album is awesome (haven't heard any of the other solo one's, but chali 2na's will prob be great).

Speaking of great dj's, shadow is really the man; check out his classic 'endtroducing' and you won't regret it. dj Krush is also amazing; his shit is totally laid back and he usually has these great rhythmic beats. Cut chemist also has some great stuff- he does most of the beats for J5, and you can really hear his skill on his solo tracks (Lesson6: The Lecture on Power in Numbers is a great example of this).

btw, good to see you on the boards again Finty. speaking of hip-hop, bringouthegimp was really up on his shit too; he had a great collection on soulseek. if any of you are looking for some good shit, throw me a pm (I really don't fuck with mainstream though; mostly underground).

Back