Mainstream Rap/hip=hop

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
Many people poke fun of the rap genre, and rightly so, but in recent months I have been sucked in. Any other fans here?

Some of the artists I have been listening to:
The Game
Ying Yang Twins
KRS One
Jay Z
Chamillionaire
B.I.G

I've also been listening to 50 Cent and G-Unit but quickly tired of them, a lot of good material but too many 'album fillers'.

Also, anyone know of a good Hip Hop news site?

Edit: Just for the record, rap divided by hip does not equal hop.

listen to some pac, he has a voice to be heard. Too bad he died, he was a great artist.

I love dmx, his anger and passion is always a good listen, and of course, LUDACRIS. The man is a fucking comedian.

edit: kanye is good, Nas is a poet, and of course, mobb deep. Download Shook Ones part II to get the general feel for them. That's the song that pretty much put them on the map.

I actually saw Mobb Deep live at a G-Unit concert. Their recent stuff is quite good but I tried listening to some of their older stuff and couldn't really get into it. I will get the track though :).

As for TuPac, I don't really like his style, could never listen to any of his stuff for too long without getting bored.

I also love the Rap, regular listener to Vanilla Ice, PJ & Duncan, Adam & the Ants.... the awesome list goes on.

finty posted on Jul 30 2006 at 07:54 PM said:
I actually saw Mobb Deep live at a G-Unit concert. Their recent stuff is quite good but I tried listening to some of their older stuff and couldn't really get into it. I will get the track though :).

As for TuPac, I don't really like his style, could never listen to any of his stuff for too long without getting bored.
you like more hard stuff? Like pac and 50 cent are like polar opposites in terms of lyrics. Go download:

rough riders anthem (i prefer the remix but you may like the original)
Stop being greedy
get at me dog
damien
look thru my eyes

^ all from It's dark and hell is hot (DMX's 1st album, which went like diamond or something it was so popular :eek:)

edit: you like twista?

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of that list I have heard Get at me Dog, very good track. A lot of my mates have also reccomended DMX, think I'll grab that album now.

Never heard anything by Twista, I'm pretty new to the scene.

Downloaded Shook Ones Part II, amazing track. I think I can remember them peforming it.

EDIT: I also listen to a lot of N.W.A and their members solo tracks.

craigix posted on Jul 31 2006 at 01:00 AM said:
I also love the Rap, regular listener to Vanilla Ice, PJ & Duncan, Adam & the Ants.... the awesome list goes on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you checked out the Wham Rap? That really tells it how it is.

finty posted on Jul 30 2006 at 08:14 PM said:
Out of that list I have heard Get at me Dog, very good track. A lot of my mates have also reccomended DMX, think I'll grab that album now.

Downloaded Shook Ones Part II, amazing track. I think I can remember them peforming it.

cool :)

try "higher". It's a colaboration between ludacris and twista, and it's an insanely fast track. It's really very good.

Also try Adrenaline Rush (twista) if you decide you like the fast stuff, and also a song he did with kanye called Overnight Celebrity.

ps: buying its dark and hell is hot is a wise idea. It was some of his first stuff I heard, and after downloading a good 85% of the songs and actually liking them, I wished I had bought it. It's really solid and there arent any of those damn filler songs.

I may well buy it, but it's 1.30am here and I want to hear it now :).

I usually download albums and then if I really like them look for a special edition, or bonus features version in the shops.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 30 2006 at 07:26 PM said:
finty posted on Jul 30 2006 at 08:14 PM said:

cool :)

try "higher". It's a colaboration between ludacris and twista, and it's an insanely fast track. It's really very good.

Also try Adrenaline Rush (twista) if you decide you like the fast stuff, and also a song he did with kanye called Overnight Celebrity.

ps: buying its dark and hell is hot is a wise idea. It was some of his first stuff I heard, and after downloading a good 85% of the songs and actually liking them, I wished I had bought it. It's really solid and there arent any of those damn filler songs.
Overnight Celebrity is my favorite song.......ever!!! :D I love Junior M.A.F.I.A. too, you should dl "get money" and "playa's anthem". Be sure to get Kanye's "Diamonds are forever" and "Brand new" as well. I rather like Missy Elliot as well, get "pass the dutch", "gossip folks" and "lose control". Get some Nappy Roots as well - "round the globe" and "po folks" are good. As for DMX, you should get "get it on the floor". Get Twista's "hit the floor" and "slow jamz". Also get some of Goodie Mob's songs - "dirty south", "black ice", and "any given sunday".

Peace! :ph34r:

Try the new Ghostface Killah album, Fishscale. Ghost is great, and so is Wu-Tang in general. you should definately check out some Wu albums, esp the solo ones.

mainstream rap is shitty.. almost all the artists mentioned in this thread are crap hip-pop artists <_<

You have to go 10 years in the past to find good rap or to go to the underground scene.. :ph34r:

The late 80's early 90's i loved all the rap/hip hop. Big Daddy Kane, Digital Underground, NWA, Public Enemy, Ice T, Ice Cube etc.

I loved the music back then but i didnt dress like 'gangsta' like some idiots do. Its like Ali G, i find that hilarious and i cant believe some idiots accused him of being racist. Ali G is taking the mick out of white guys who live in Surrey (A very rich part of England) who are very middle class pretending theyre 'from the streets' and have it so bad etc.

I dont like much rap/hip hop now as i personally cant relate to it at all. But the worst thing is to see some idiot driving round town in his crappy old Vauxhall Nova hes tried to soup up blasting out rap music as he constantly goes round and round town doing laps in it every evening !

music_cool2.gif

God you listen to some shit, try some MF DOOM, most people think his older stuff is better but it's all good I reckon, Ghostface and Nas are ok

Also try Edan and Cannibal Ox (real earth is epic).

for oldskool KMD are great, I don't know much else there.

Back