Have you ever been in a fight (random street fight or physical altercation with a person or animal)?

Have you ever been in a fight? (random Street Fight or physical altercation with a person or animal)

• Total voters

Can I borrow those for a movie script? ^_^

Just joking, I have a good share of those too, including mass gang fights. So much for the human nature.

Should we blame Double Dragon on the arcades? Very few occasions I did start the fight, but there was a reason and I was really young, the rest is just standard outcomes of gang bullying. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I borrow those for a movie script? ^_^

Just joking, I have a good share of those too, including mass gang fights. So much for the human nature.

Should we blame Double Dragon on the arcades? Very few occasions I did start the fight, but there was a reason and I was really young, the rest is just standard outcomes of gang bullying. 
I'm just happy i didn't need to kill anybody... Looking back I easily could have and I wouldn't have lost a bit of a sleep. It was a jungle.. I'm glad i'm out of the cities.. ironically with me moving to the country everybody told me the red necks would try to pick fights bla bla bla... Nope I've received more respect and less bullshit in my little "Red neck" town then back in "civilization"  Honestly after all  of the fighting, violence and dramatic bullshit I prefer the quiet simple life now...

Too many for me in my youth, can't count.
Too many to count on my youth,

also, some fights are quite impossible to just turn away, or doing so makes things even worse.
Same here (and I agree with erico).  Many.  Now I just avoid face to face interactions with humans as much as possible.  I am also not so quick to let things get physical now (although I am always ready for that).  

I am pretty sure I was often the instigator, although I was told early on "it is fine as long as you don't throw the first punch".  I got good at pushing people's buttons and taking a punch!

I had a pretty interesting experience. I learned martial arts for while and got confident enough that I went to a special tournament. It would be held on a resort island compete with some ancient ruins. It seemed like there would be no way I could go, but my Uncle (who is an electrician) sponsored me to go.

When I got there it was not really what i was expecting. The whole thing was being put on by this pretty old looking guy who had a couple screw loose. But there was not turning back now, even if i wanted to, I was basically stuck. It also became apparent pretty quick this weird event had attracted some odd ball competitors too, ill get to this later.

So the rules of the tournament were pretty basic a best 2 out of 3 with single elimination. The matchups were supposed to be random and who ever was left would go onto to fight the house champion. It became apparent after a while the head guy and the champion had something going on.

My first matchup was against a woman who seemed pretty talented and flexible. She tried to have me throw the match since she said needed to go further to investigate illegal activity. I came this far I wasnt just going to flop over.  Well i was able to come up on top and get the next round, didnt see her around after that. It was too bad she was cute.

Now there were other matches and lets say there seems to be some bending of the rules, some of which scared me a bit. Basically some matches were uses weapons or gimmicks to intimidate. Like this one guy tried to bull whip his opponent. One guy some how got snowballs (maybe closer to packed ice) in. One lunatic even tried to pull a knife.

Next round was against some inflated ego manic, acted like everyone should know him. I thought about it later and though I remembered him from some made for tv movie or something.

Well he couldnt back up his talk with his technique and I won the round again. The real wierd thing was at the end of my second round the old guy (acting all weird) striaght up and yells finish him.

Didnt really know what that was about and i went on my way to get ready for the next go, I was getting near to the finals.

Well I was in for a surprise the next round, my wacked out uncle somehow entered the tournament. but he isnt quite the fighter he used to be at his age. But it was all good in the end and i think we bonded at the end.

So now i made to the final round and it was against the wack job with the whip. He also had this real tacky yellow uniform. Well I knew he was going to pull that whip trick so as soon as he threw that thing (if you can believe he yelled 'get over here') around i ducked and gave me the biggest upper cut. The idiot flew off his feet knocked clean out. Couldnt even make it to the second round.

I couldnt believe i won this crazy thing, but now I got to have go at that behemoth of man, if he was a man. He was pretty slow and so I used my quick evasive abilities and wore him down. He got a couple grabs in and tossed me about (it was like he had 4 arms), but it wasnt enough. I floored him with a flying kick id been working on as my trump card.

The old man was over the edge with this and went into a fury. I wouldnt normally fight some one so old but the geezer ran down into the arena and attacked me. So I defended well enough against the first round of attacks and then I countered and knocked the old guy out. Everyone seemed pretty shocked at the whole thing.

Well I had enough weirdness and I tol my uncle lets get of here before someone gets upset about the old guy getting knocked out. On the way back my uncle tells me the tournament will be held again next year and theres bound to be more competitors to test my skill against. At this point I dont think I can take experiencing something like that again.
This is hillarious. :D And thanks for sharing.  I guess because of this you quitted your martial arts and went to learn programming :)

Fights these days are dangerous not like they used to be.  I don't mind one on one fist fight, but these days you have no idea what your street opponent might pull out when he's losing the fight.  So, these days I try not to ignore as fast as possible.

also, some fights are quite impossible to just turn away, or doing so makes things even worse.
Same here (and I agree with erico).  Many.  Now I just avoid face to face interactions with humans as much as possible.  I am also not so quick to let things get physical now (although I am always ready for that).  

I am pretty sure I was often the instigator, although I was told early on "it is fine as long as you don't throw the first punch".  I got good at pushing people's buttons and taking a punch!
I'd never want to fight you... :ph34r:  You're just as crazy as I am, and that scares me. :blink:

I'd never want to fight you... :ph34r:  You're just as crazy as I am, and that scares me. :blink:
My words could have also come from my other half, as she "didn't start" fights just as I didn't (and for the same reason), but was in many even when young.  At some point the rule of hitting first went away, and I have seen her pounce on a few people.  Oh, and she doesn't "fight like a girl".  Her older brothers taught her to fight when she was pretty young.  I think the biggest difference between the two of us is she knows how to fight, and once it starts I don't care about getting hurt or dead, I just try to get my opponent to that point first (I do have various training, but I don't recall applying much of it in casual fights like these).  

I almost always lose in fights with spiders, as I have a habit of dropping everything and running away screaming.  Now I will probably dream of getting killed by spiders tonight...

I have wrestled with my dogs since I was little.  Does that count as a fight?

Not in many years. In my youth I ended up in several fights, sometimes against more than one person.

I never did start any fights or pick on anyone. If someone picked on me or got fresh with me I would stand up to them.

I didnt back down and this lead to fights.

On occasion i was in a fight because someone attacked a friend of mine.

Stupudity of youth. You couldnt convince me to fight nowadays if you tried.
I just noticed this post.  Some of this is true for me too.  Some of my fights were in response to people harassing/bullying others.  I feel, then and now, that it would be better that whatever happens should happen to me rather than someone who doesn't know what to do and just wants to be left alone.  At least a couple times my actions prevented future incidents between other people.

Don't misunderstand this as me trying to be a hero.  I used to like fighting, and defending others gave me a justifiable excuse (plus the reason I started fighting was because of  severe bullying, often physical, at a very young age, and I eventually got tired of it).

I never liked fighting but was because of bulling in a lot of them. My last fight was against someone who bullied me for at least 10 years.. 

It ended with me realizing that if I strangle him a bit longer he would have died, I never knew how I ended up strangling him.. just complete

blank. I also realized in that moment that 7 people where hitting and kicking me, trying to prevent me killing him. I didn´t even feel that.

That was the moment when I realized that I must always try to get away from fights... 

I am quite ashamed of this behavior and really do think that is better not to fight. But...

There are some Kids bullying my autistic son (It comes in the family.. )

There is a group of 4 boys who made a sport out of 3 holding my son and one hitting him (those kids are 7-8 years old... how rotten to the bone can you be at 7-8?)

So my son did at one time duck and a boy holding him got the punch from his friend right in the face.... Now the father went to the school and

tried to manhandle my son... My wife, remembering that, absolutely forbid me to go to this man. Writing this story my rage makes my hands shudder..

I am not a aggressive person but when it comes to family and when a certain point is reached... I am just not sure if I could stop this time.

But fighting is bad and stupid!

Apart from any childish brotherly love fights, and drunken outrages at friends who apologized the next day, there were only two fights I've been in really. One in 4th grade where I was bullied by these three older kids for a couple months, until one day being bothered by one of them in the school hallways on a bad personal day. I never seen any of the three ever again after that.

Second was in 7th grade, and got beat up by a 9th grader and two 10th graders for being foreign. I've only really seen one of them like 3 years later, and guy said he's scared of my now because I had quite a large growth spurt.

if some lousy brat would severly hurt or even just bully one of my kids without them being able to defend themselves (be it they are just too young or disabled in any way) i would absolutely not hestitate to make their parents feel that pain and i dont see why you should.

as a father of two i felt anger rising inside the second i read your post.

In grade school I was always a target of bullies, being intelligent person, wearing glasses and generally being different than others can do that. Running my mouth off also didn't help much.

I haven't been in a fight since school myself, which suits me fine because I have better things to do.

In West Philadelfia born and raised
on the playground is where I spent most of my days
chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
when a couple of guys said "we're up in no good"
started making trouble in my neighbourhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
and said "you're moving with your aunte and uncle in Bel-Air"

Well I never was in a "real" fight expect some friendly clobbering in kids days. However, I've met enough bad persons with bad attitude that would have deserved a serious kick in their ugly faces...

I never liked fighting but was because of bulling in a lot of them. My last fight was against someone who bullied me for at least 10 years.. 

It ended with me realizing that if I strangle him a bit longer he would have died, I never knew how I ended up strangling him.. just complete

blank. I also realized in that moment that 7 people where hitting and kicking me, trying to prevent me killing him. I didn´t even feel that.

That was the moment when I realized that I must always try to get away from fights... 

I am quite ashamed of this behavior and really do think that is better not to fight. But...

There are some Kids bullying my autistic son (It comes in the family.. )

There is a group of 4 boys who made a sport out of 3 holding my son and one hitting him (those kids are 7-8 years old... how rotten to the bone can you be at 7-8?)

So my son did at one time duck and a boy holding him got the punch from his friend right in the face.... Now the father went to the school and

tried to manhandle my son... My wife, remembering that, absolutely forbid me to go to this man. Writing this story my rage makes my hands shudder..

I am not a aggressive person but when it comes to family and when a certain point is reached... I am just not sure if I could stop this time.

But fighting is bad and stupid!
if some lousy brat would severly hurt or even just bully one of my kids without them being able to defend themselves (be it they are just too young or disabled in any way) i would absolutely not hestitate to make their parents feel that pain and i dont see why you should.

Right, he shouldn't be ashamed at all and imho even the victim caused death of obviously completely destructive people who mainly cause terror and pain in the world isn't a bad thing because it would make the world actually a better place.

I'm all for instadeath of true bullies, seriously, too bad that even mild defense is mostly illegal in most cases where I live.

My bullying in school ended after many years in a single second. It was just enough, I took him by his neck, pushed him against the chalkboard, raised him a bit (I was really strong but always too peaceful and just wanted to be left alone, at least outside of my terrible family) and he and his buddies respected me from this moment on, because they don't differentiate between fear and respect, it's exactly the same thing for those dogs.

I wouldn't call this a fight though, it was a sign and he didn't even get the chance to react and was too shocked anyway.

I seldomly feel rage though, everyone who knows me IRL knows me as peace in persona, my feelings about this stuff are quite cold, if someone causes deliberate trouble, he should face grim consequences so that peace is possible again.

I have not enjoyed reading this thread. :(

It brought up all the old stuff, and I am upset to realize just how intense and deep the hatred still is in me. I thought I had moved passed that, but obviously there is a huge suppressed part of me that is consumed with desire to terrify, mutilate, and break anyone that seeks to hurt or dominate over others in any way.

It's completely unconscious of course, because if I gave into it, I would be exactly what I despise.

Life as we know it as a 'be all end all' reality truly SUCKS.

But as a training ground, and school of mirrors it is simply brilliant.

I wish it were as simple as euthanizing all the bullies, but I fear what we are dealing with here is intrinsic human nature.

In a world free of bullies, bullies will rise up to fill the void.

If I had been born rich, with a faster metabolism and less aware parents... I would have turned out downright evil.

I'm actually glad I went through all this, so I could *know* it within me and make conscious choices about how I am.

Otherwise I may have had people locked up in a soundproofed bunker under my house.

I won't go into what I would have done with them... but part of my character is that of an obsessive compulsive extremist.

When I became consciousness of what I was doing, I made an effort to stop fantasizing about torturing people... it was an addictive thought pattern that fed on the rage and hatered. It was actually really hard to stop.

So I am sorry to realize these issues are still within me to deal with. :(

other than picking on disabled people, which i mean cmon, i'm gonna have to disagree with you here. i think that instead of fighting their battles for them, you should teach your kids how to deal with things like this themselves, even if youre teaching them to deal with it in a way which some might not agree with. kids have to grow to overcome this and too many obstacles in life, dont take it away from them. bullying is something one should learn to overcome in middle school, because everyone here knows there are a lot more complications in life later on, and people who never overcome bullying at a young age become mentally broken at a later stage im my experience.

I have not enjoyed reading this thread. :(

It brought up all the old stuff, and I am upset to realize just how intense and deep the hatred still is in me. I thought I had moved passed that, but obviously there is a huge suppressed part of me that is consumed with desire to terrify, mutilate, and break anyone that seeks to hurt or dominate over others in any way...
I had similar, for the biggest gang fights I have been involved had to do with this one guy and me.

I never realized why did so to pick me for such, never did anything bad to him at all.

On the other side, the chap had lots of trouble with a lot of other people and have been expeld a few times from a few schools.

Later, in changed school and guess what? After he cause trouble on the other school, he changes school to my new one too...heck so much for luck.

The fight carried on for ages and affected friends and lots of other people, even as we aged, he never let loose of that and whenever he was in bigger number he would chase me...but never alone.

Well, years passed and I had the same feeling you described, but had a good sense not to pull it up and actually do it.

But one thing remained in my head, as to why the guy would waste time doing such things.

I knew he had a tough life, his father committed suicide when he was young and he had plenty of other personal/family problems already.

About last year. some 20 years after I had any contact with him or the town at all, I dreamed with him and on the dream, we were very good and close friends.

There he was showing me some paths to take on a ground road. I woke up a bit annoyed by such as I haven´t thought about him in ages.

A week later, a friend from the town I used to live told me that he had developed a hardcore type of cancer and struggled in pain and faith for life for about 6 months before he collapsed and died.

Such news struck me really hard and made me really super sad for quite a while, it still does as I type. Maybe in my youth I had no knowledge on how to actually deal with such and just maybe there was something I could do to make the story different. What I have left in my heart is the feeling that we are, somehow, very great friends. I can´t really think of us as arch enemies as we were in reality anymore.

other than picking on disabled people, which i mean cmon, i'm gonna have to disagree with you here. i think that instead of fighting their battles for them, you should teach your kids how to deal with things like this themselves, even if youre teaching them to deal with it in a way which some might not agree with. kids have to grow to overcome this and too many obstacles in life, dont take it away from them. bullying is something one should learn to overcome in middle school, because everyone here knows there are a lot more complications in life later on, and people who never overcome bullying at a young age become mentally broken at a later stage im my experience.
Maybe my experiences were different than those of others.  Bullying in my schools didn't start in middle school.  For me it was present in daycare, and when I started going to school I had kids twice my age that messed with me whenever I got on the bus.  When my brother started school I tried to watch out for him, especially in places where all ages rode the same bus.  This wasn't so uncommon it seems.  As I mentioned I know of another family where the older brothers defended their younger sister (ok, "but she's a girl", however she could probably defend herself against most men now).  Back when I this kid was messing with me in daycare I told adults, and nothing changed.  Fortunately, it wasn't too often.  I tried to avoid this stuff later, however I had no way to avoid it and no other choice but to ride the bus, and it was every day.  Adults wouldn't help, and due to my choices to defend myself after a year or two I was suspended and eventually viewed as a "problem child" since I wasn't willing to take anyone's shit anymore.  I would have appreciated if an adult had prevented it from getting to that point.  I know if my violent side hadn't been brought out early on my life would have been very different.  I had many wonderful opportunities and many times a fight got in the way.  I lost a chance to have college paid for 15 years ago due to a fight (actually a series, but the last one was the last straw since it resulted in something similar to what Holliefant mentioned, although I knew what I was doing every step of the way, and everyone except the other people that were threatened by the guy I was squeezing the life out of just stood there watching).

Bullying is easier now.  Things can be coordinated and communicated instantly and easily, and it is just as bad as it always has been, if not worse (you can reach a wider audience, and going to a new school no longer means you always get a fresh start).  I am pretty sure some suicides support my claim.  Sure, give the kids a chance to figure things out on their own, but be supportive.  If they are asking for help listen to what they say.  Give advice initially, but if it progresses I do think there is a point where getting directly involved is the better choice.  I would rather risk them having difficulty later in life than have them feel helpless and not live long enough to have those difficulties, for whatever reason.

So perhaps you would've been better off if an adult had listened to you, and help you get through it so you don't figure it out with the mindset of a child. That's exactly what I'm trying to preach. I see nothing wrong with informing an older sibling to step in and help you with the situation either. But beating up, or suing the bully's parents gets nothing constructive done imho.

Back