Guy Who Wants To Sue Gamepark, Gph, Me & Ed

andyB911 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 07:52 AM said:
I don't know why, but of the whole, somewhat bizarre and sorry saga (and I like Moxies explaination) I found this increadibly funny:

the_gi
2006-09-13 08:01 pm UTC (link)
not readin this, but the GP32 came out in 2001, so by your logic they time traveled to the future to steal your plans, then traveled back and made the device, but if the Koreans were that advance already to be able to time travel then they probably would have already came up with the idea of an open-source hand held that is based around the idea of homebrew, which isn't very original at all. and while you are at the sueing of GPH, also sue the thousand other companies that stole your "ideas" with their PMPs.
(Reply to this) (Thread)

geoffstechno
2006-09-13 08:26 pm UTC (link)
I sent you an explanation offline, if you don't get it send me your email address and I'll send it again.

Geoff.
(Reply to this) (Parent) (Thread)

the_gi
2006-09-13 09:04 pm UTC (link)
what do you mean sent offline? like did you mail it to my house?
(Reply to this) (Parent) (Thread)

:D :D :D :D
the_gi would be me, but what did he mean by offline?

meltbanana posted on Sep 14 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
andyB911 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 12:52 PM said:
the_gi
2006-09-13 09:04 pm UTC (link)
what do you mean sent offline? like did you mail it to my house?

it was dull and miserable this morning on my way to work, and that one quote made my day :lol:
glad I brightened up your day

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I finally found my way here. I wish to defend myself against some of the ridiculous comments I have read through these pages. Really, how any of you can speak to me about copyright law whe you are all clearly ignorant of so many facts is beyond me! Are you all children?

Of course you can copyright an idea, how else could Microsoft produce their sucessful Zen products, and hold off Apple for so long! And then there is the AMD dual chip fiasco. Don't you know anything about the real world?

We came up with our designs in 2004. Don't tell me there was an open source handheld before then. There wasn't. There was an another korean machine, but this was frankly laughable and has nothing to due with the current Korean machine that we are talking about here...

I await sensible and informed replies only.

Thanks

Geoff

We came up with our designs in 2004. Don't tell me there was an open source handheld before then. There wasn't.

Damn, You sure got us ... I guess the GP32, which sold over 30,000 units is NOT open-source after all.

I guess all those emulators & homebrew games available for it shouldn't work (even though they do)

... you're calling us mis-informed? Holy crap.

TelcoLou posted on Sep 14 2006 at 08:44 PM said:
We came up with our designs in 2004. Don't tell me there was an open source handheld before then. There wasn't.

Damn, You sure got us ... I guess the GP32, which sold over 30,000 units is NOT open-source after all.

I guess all those emulators & homebrew games available for it shouldn't work (even though they do)

The GP32 is NOT capable of emulating anything with any degree of success. And how do you load the rom onto the GP32? Where is the floppy support?

Our machine might even have featured a porable floppy, imagine being able to load things from your pockets as you moved through a city?

You missed out when they watered down our visions.

I am NOT misinformed. I know a lot more about the GP32 than you think!

craigix posted on Sep 13 2006 at 06:15 PM said:
OMars posted on Sep 13 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
Let's ask what Craigix thinks.....

Well, i have to say i think south park is funny, but not as funny as family guy.
Yeah, family guy is more sophisticated... B)

Sorry folks, my mistake. I thought it was really him for a second (Damn this lack of caffiene) :lol:

* We now return you to our regularly scheduled weenie roast *

That's not him, well it sure sounds like it...portable floppy disk drive, are you retarded? :huh:

GeoffsTechno posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:37 PM said:
We came up with our designs in 2004. Don't tell me there was an open source handheld before then. There wasn't. There was an another korean machine, but this was frankly laughable and has nothing to due with the current Korean machine that we are talking about here...

Well, it's true that the GP32 isn't an OpenSource device.
But as GamePark realized that the device lives from homebrew software, they released a new Bios (known as the European Firmware) in 2003 together with an official SDK which opened up homebrew officially, without the use of the Freelauncher anymore.
Since then, the idea of the guys that later switched to GPH was, that their handheld works if people can code for it (I talked with them a few times back then).

Then they wanted a successor. GPH wanted to have the next system open, they asked craig and me what we'd think is important for such a system, we helped them with the specs, etc.

They couldn't use the original GPOS, as this was copyrighted by GamePark, not GPH.
So they talked with MagicEyes and got basically a one-chip solution of a computer completely running off Linux (it's a standard board, nothing special, they just built their handheld around it).

Heck, they didn't plan the system as OpenSource system, they had no idea was OpenSource was.
They planned releasing an SDK where people could code for the system, but they never planned to open the source codes... it took us a long time (until February 2006!) to convince them that they NEED to open the source according to the GPL license.

So... how could they have stolen an OpenSource-Handheld businessplan, when they never planned to open the source?

Their original intention was to create the same machine as the GP32, open for homebrew, but upgraded to the latest standards with a higher processor and different cards. And that's what they did.

Last edited:
The GP32 is NOT capable of emulating anything with any degree of success.
Fullspeed Sega Genesis, C64, Atari ST just to name a few. Oh wait those don't count. :rolleyes:

And how do you load the rom onto the GP32? Where is the floppy support?
Floppy disks became extinct and were replaced by flash memory cards :)

Our machine might even have featured a porable floppy, imagine being able to load things from your pockets as you moved through a city?
Well, go ahead and imagine, while others live it.

Two middle fingers up.

- Alex

I wouldn't be surprised if it was ste_167 he seems to love the fluffy afro and beard stuff... right this very moment he is preparing his halloween outfit for next month and it aint George Lucas he is going at I CAN TELL YOU THAT MATIES !

GeoffsTechno posted on Sep 14 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Sep 14 2006 at 08:44 PM said:

The GP32 is NOT capable of emulating anything with any degree of success. And how do you load the rom onto the GP32? Where is the floppy support?

Maybe with one of these?
smart-media128.jpg

Whoopsadaisies

GeoffsTechno posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:48 PM said:

Well, it can quite good emulate C64, GameBoy, NES, Genesis, SMS, Atari ST, ... in fullspeed.
It even plays Doom quite good.

And floppy support? Well... what for? You've got SMC.

BTW: The gp2x also doesn't have floppy support. But it has SD.

Last edited:
GeoffsTechno posted on Sep 14 2006 at 03:57 PM said:
Yes, you are right. I see it now.

Sorry for all the fuss.
All the fuss? You were threating to sue them and put them out of business. ;) But that is perfectly fine nowadays, right guys?

DBH posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
GeoffsTechno posted on Sep 14 2006 at 09:37 PM said:

Is it really you or someone pretending to be you like the numa numa kid :unsure:

I'm not so sure - that guy uses an IP from t-dialin.net, which is part of the Deutsche Telekom AG (Germany), but they also have Laboratories at the Ben-Gurion University in Israel, so it might really be him.

Wouldn't wonder me, I eMailed with him, and he sounded like a nice, capable person which did even puzzle me more.... this is all too weird.

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Sep 14 2006 at 04:03 PM said:
DBH posted on Sep 14 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
GeoffsTechno posted on Sep 14 2006 at 09:37 PM said:

Is it really you or someone pretending to be you like the numa numa kid :unsure:

I'm not so sure - that guy uses an IP from t-dialin.net, which is part of the Deutsche Telekom AG (Germany), but they also have Laboratories at the Ben-Gurion University in Israel, so it might really be him.

Wouldn't wonder me, I eMailed with him, and he sounded like a nice, capable person which did even puzzle me more.... this is all too weird.
Hmm.....is somebody pretending to be him? :huh: I hope so, because this person is far too dumb to be who you described.

Back