Guess What? A Port Of Gpsp (gba) To The Gp2x...

Yeah I wonder what happened to Notaz. I think he was afflicted with the SNES curse. Anyone who touches the SNES code goes mad and abandons the scene. You had Squidge, Reesy, and now Notaz touch it and now they have all dissappeared ;)
No I am still around. I recently upgraded my PC (went dualcore now), moved to another place of city (living with completely different people now), got some pressure at work, etc etc..

Well it is good to see that you didn't get the "SNES curse" :p

You instead have been afflicted with the virus known as "real life".

Well good luck with everything and thanks for the great work so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been sick for the past two or so days. I'm finally feeling better, and once I get done with a bit of work that I missed, I'll be continuing work on my projects.

Exophase seems to have picked up my slack and did the research needed for getting a virtual address space under the GP2X Linux environment. From what I heard from him, it still seems like we can pursue that route from within Linux. What might be required though, is something like a kernel module and usage of kmalloc to allocate physical memory in certain ranges specificly for use with this emulator's use.

I have made kernel modules before, but never under the GP2X kernel sources. Kernel modules are usually a nuisance, but I can probably get these theories tested out once I get the GP2X kernel sources, whichever ones and wherever they may be.

All of this talk is about making gpSP run in the most optimal manner under the GP2X hardware alongside the dynarec. In short, it's good stuff. :)

EvilDragon: Good to hear about the availability of a GP2X coming up. :)

I'll be sure to update everyone when I get more work put into gpSP in a bit...

I managed to miss this thread; woot, cool stuff.. Exophases GBA emu is very impressive on the PSP.

Did I see that right, that it doesn't use the PSP hardware blitter at all? ITs all rendered in software before the texture-map-blit? *gasp* I had assumed GPSP was using hardware to get such good speeds.

jeff-burntout

You know you're on to something if you can get skeezix to post! :p
Exophase will have to answer that one.

I have some work to do with gpSP to get it up and running a game. With a little debugging it should be fixed.

I should have a PSP next week, should be interesting.

I have some work to do with gpSP to get it up and running a game. With a little debugging it should be fixed.

What do you reckon you'll be doing for PSP? Just the PS1 emu for now? Or other impossible projects :p

I use the term just loosely

A PSP might distract you ;-)

hhe; you missed, during the gp32 and early gp2x days I was posting dozens of times a day and releasing app builds every other day minimum.

This last 6months I'm totally overwhelmed by life and work .. after 4 or 5 years of 60-80 hours of work per week I'm just a wreck and trying to get life back under control so I can be a decent dad when the baby comes in a few months.

I've got a few gp2x and PSP projects to wrap up, but I've spent the last few months putting my wife first, but I'll return to form soon I'm sure :) So much to do, so little time :)

jeff

I may be more quiet the last few months, but I still follow everything pretty closely; retro gets me through the day, though I admit I did spend a few months just playing text adventures .. woot for Guild of Thieves ;) (on my Kronos interp project :)

hhe; you missed, during the gp32 and early gp2x days I was posting dozens of times a day and releasing app builds every other day minimum.

This last 6months I'm totally overwhelmed by life and work .. after 4 or 5 years of 60-80 hours of work per week I'm just a wreck and trying to get life back under control so I can be a decent dad when the baby comes in a few months.

I've got a few gp2x and PSP projects to wrap up, but I've spent the last few months putting my wife first, but I'll return to form soon I'm sure :) So much to do, so little time :)

jeff

I may be more quiet the last few months, but I still follow everything pretty closely; retro gets me through the day, though I admit I did spend a few months just playing text adventures .. woot for Guild of Thieves ;) (on my Kronos interp project :)
How many months up the Hillary is your wife?

Don't get me wrong, the PSP has it's place. The ones I'm mainly interested in are:

The SNES emulator by TYL is good - though it's still not *that* fast. Some games play quite slow.
The CPS1 and CPS2 emulators are pure gold. These play really well fullspeed 60FPS at 266Mhz. This is the main reason I use my PSP.
MAME is not great. Some love went missing during the translation. There are other more modern ports but there's no good news there.
gPSP is brilliant - jaw dropping. This GBA emu is consistently faster than the SNES emulator. I have great hopes for the GP2X version of this. And for once the PSP's screen ratio is a good thing as it matches the GBA's fiarly well on fullscreen.

And for once the PSP's screen ratio is a good thing as it matches the GBA's fiarly well on fullscreen.

It is still fractionally scaled though and not a perfect 2:1.

GBA is 240 x 160. PSP has 272 vertical res. For perfect 2:1 it would need to have a 320 high screen. But whatever it sounds like a great emu. Quite honestly i would rather have a good SNES emu than GBA, that is just me though. I can get a flashcart for a DS and get perfect GBA.

Don't get me wrong, the PSP has it's place. The ones I'm mainly interested in are:

The SNES emulator by TYL is good - though it's still not *that* fast. Some games play quite slow.
The CPS1 and CPS2 emulators are pure gold. These play really well fullspeed 60FPS at 266Mhz. This is the main reason I use my PSP.
MAME is not great. Some love went missing during the translation. There are other more modern ports but there's no good news there.
gPSP is brilliant - jaw dropping. This GBA emu is consistently faster than the SNES emulator. I have great hopes for the GP2X version of this. And for once the PSP's screen ratio is a good thing as it matches the GBA's fiarly well on fullscreen.

also the pspuae is a nice community,

not a bad port, either.

So how about a gp32 port?

Back