Guess What? A Port Of Gpsp (gba) To The Gp2x...

Yes and it would bring a wrath of nintendo upon our community...oh well, screw them xD

Well it is a port of a GBA emu for another handheld, and I haven't really heard about any nintendo wrath concerning that one, right?

Anyways great to hear that this might actually happen (and soon too), but make sure you don't spread your time on too many projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
play GBA on the road
Yes, that would be a dream come true.. :p

Unlike a REAL GBA which you could... play... on... the road!! Whoa! And have 100% compatibility and speed!

I know, I'm just being cheeky.

I'd love to see GBA on GP2X; it would make my PSP mates furious to see it running on our "inferior" machines.

I do have to wonder though, if SNES emulation is difficult, I would have thought that GBA would have been even more difficult?
GBA seems to be a super-set of a SNES - that's why Flubba/Loopy's PocketSNES, PocketNES,etc work so well, right?
If the issue of SNES emulation isn't the CPU, then surely it must be the GFX; all those layers, sprites, transparancy, etc.

Side note: I wonder how notaz is going with SquidgeSNES?

As much as I would like to play GBA on the road, I am still not convinced enough to buy a GP2X, simply because the headphone jack remains on the top of the unit.
Guess where the GBA SP's headphone jack is?
I'm not sure if you were suggesting this or not, but the SP doesn't even have a headphone jack. You have purchase a stupid adaptor (only available online) or get headphones with the SP's proprietary port, which are probably also only online and more expensive than standard headphones. Certainly that's worse than *gasp* having just plug your headphones in the jack on the top! :ph34r:

play GBA on the road
Yes, that would be a dream come true.. :p

Unlike a REAL GBA which you could... play... on... the road!! Whoa! And have 100% compatibility and speed!

I know, I'm just being cheeky.

I'd love to see GBA on GP2X; it would make my PSP mates furious to see it running on our "inferior" machines.

I do have to wonder though, if SNES emulation is difficult, I would have thought that GBA would have been even more difficult?
GBA seems to be a super-set of a SNES - that's why Flubba/Loopy's PocketSNES, PocketNES,etc work so well, right?
If the issue of SNES emulation isn't the CPU, then surely it must be the GFX; all those layers, sprites, transparancy, etc.

Side note: I wonder how notaz is going with SquidgeSNES?

Yeah, and I heard that a real GBA runs the games at FS0 with full sound and no stuttering! It does transparancies too! It even displays the image at a perfect 1:1 with no scaling! It is incredible and it does all of that at only 16 MHz with no overclock!

Anyway I would think it would be harder then SNES. But again Zod' doesn't waste his time coding wimpy emulators such as NES or ColecoVision, those emus are for wussies. He goes straight to the toughest ones like GBA and PSX for the real l337 challenge :p (it is a joke Zod' we all love ya' :) )

Yeah I wonder what happened to Notaz. I think he was afflicted with the SNES curse. Anyone who touches the SNES code goes mad and abandons the scene. You had Squidge, Reesy, and now Notaz touch it and now they have all dissappeared ;)

Yeah, and I heard that a real GBA runs the games at FS0 with full sound and no stuttering! It does transparancies too! It even displays the image at a perfect 1:1 with no scaling! It is incredible and it does all of that at only 16 MHz with no overclock!

Anyway I would think it would be harder then SNES. But again Zod' doesn't waste his time coding wimpy emulators such as NES or ColecoVision, those emus are for wussies. He goes straight to the toughest ones like GBA and PSX for the real l337 challenge :p (it is a joke Zod' we all love ya' :) )

Yeah I wonder what happened to Notaz. I think he was afflicted with the SNES curse. Anyone who touches the SNES code goes mad and abandons the scene. You had Squidge, Reesy, and now Notaz touch it and now they have all dissappeared ;)

Oh noes! The Bermuda Triangle of Emulation!

I heard the GBA has been overclocked before. It was during the whole PocketSNES excitement. I think there's a video somewhere out there of it running a GBA game and it was running a bit faster than normal in areas. I can't remember if it was ever shown to be fake or whatnot, but the person who did it was trying to sell them along with their afterburner kits under some company name.

If I were to avoid being wussy, I would take on what I consider the hardest emulator to make for a handheld...VPinMAME. PinMAME is a pinball machine emulator that controls the logic of the hardware and even the displays. People actually dumped the pinball machines data to be emulated. The V in VPinMAME is the extra cool part, and it stands for Visual. It takes the PinMAME emulation and creates an actual playfield for the pinball machine using skins and the scripting language VBS. You could play so many user created pinball machines and many were very well made and looked great. By it depending on VBS (VisualBasic Scripting) I decided not to touch the project. Even if after that could be figured out, it would still be a difficult project for me to do. It's sad since I really would love to see it on a handheld and get that emulator revived.

Oh and news:
I ran the build of gpSP on the GP2X. I got the menu system figured out and it works very well on the GP2X, but when selecting a game a SDL error seems to occur. I think I know why, and I will get it done tommorow most likely. After it plays a GBA game, I plan on having Exophase take a look at the changes made and see if I'm heading in the right direction. Then I will add the overclocking feature as it's a quick job. From there it's all about getting the dynarec up and going. When that's done I will keep up with updates and offer Exophase assitance with debugging (eg tedious work).

DaveC, close your eyes and scroll down real quick. ;)

In completely unrelated news, work is starting on the psx emulator that is being built from the ground up specifically for handhelds. The initial handhelds will be the PSP (MIPS baseline) and GP2X (ARM baseline).

Ok DaveC you can quit squinting and open your eyes now.

Thanks everyone for the support.

*shudders* VBS. Imagine if it was ported: Viruses on the GP2X! w00t!

I kid. I can't WAIT to see this up and running. Especially the PSX emulator thats not a a port :)

I would LOVE to learn to code emulators. I can code C/C++ pretty well, (done a lot of 3d engine work and the like), but X86 ASM I have NO CLUE, apart from how to write a bootloader (an OS experiment I did. EVerything was in C except for the bootloader/strapper. FUn times :p). ARM ASM? Pfft, I have no clue whatsoever :p

As much as I would like to play GBA on the road, I am still not convinced enough to buy a GP2X, simply because the headphone jack remains on the top of the unit.

I don't see a problem with the headphone jack being on the top of the 2X... the one thing that IS annoying is the power socket is on the right side... >_>

How about the headphone socket rattling around inside the case?

I'm excited about this project too! Good Luck!

If I were to avoid being wussy, I would take on what I consider the hardest emulator to make for a handheld...VPinMAME. PinMAME is a pinball machine emulator that controls the logic of the hardware and even the displays. People actually dumped the pinball machines data to be emulated. The V in VPinMAME is the extra cool part, and it stands for Visual. It takes the PinMAME emulation and creates an actual playfield for the pinball machine using skins and the scripting language VBS. You could play so many user created pinball machines and many were very well made and looked great. By it depending on VBS (VisualBasic Scripting) I decided not to touch the project. Even if after that could be figured out, it would still be a difficult project for me to do. It's sad since I really would love to see it on a handheld and get that emulator revived.

VPinMAME is fantastic! <dreaming> Medieval Madness on the GP2X ... my god!... that would be... </dreaming>

Hope you will have a great time porting Gpsp to the GP2X. Good luck :)

No I am still around. I recently upgraded my PC (went dualcore now), moved to another place of city (living with completely different people now), got some pressure at work, etc etc..

This project sounds very promising, I'm seriously willing to donate half of my paycheck if you guys get this working at a playable speed with sound. ;)
I wish you the best of luck and will try to follow the progress being made, as it's very interesting to read about. :)

EvilDragon: If you have a spare GP2X around, I might know someone that could use it... Won't need a high overclock this time. ;P

Not yet, but I should have one ready in December :)

If we went the route of ditching Linux, could users switch between "firmwares" easily? One with Linux, the other with a custom approach for at very least the ability to run gpSP in the most optimal approach.

You don't need different firmwares.
You can start Robsters Firmware updater from within the standard gp2x menu.
It throws out Linux and runs :) The only flaw is that you need to restart after that and need to code your own drivers, though some are already working.
Try to talk to RobB on IRC. DJWillis might also know something about this.

Last edited:
Another approach may be running a customized linux kernel and initrd or similar - that way you can still use filesystems and threading, but you're free to hack whatever you need to in the MMU code in linux. You could also screw with the 32/32 memory split, and make it 48/16 or whatever works best for your program.

Back