Gpx2 Unvailed!!

Hanz™ posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:10 PM said:
x68000 posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:07 PM said:
i for one think that this handheld is going to blow so many people away when they see what it is capable of.

And i can't wait to see davec have to eat his own words when he is proved wrong. Will he ever be able to show his face once everyone else is reaping the rewards of the gpx2???
Why do you think it is gonna be so great?
The only thing about it I am interested in is DivX.

I think it will be great because:

1. SD cards open many doors, Mega CD, Super CD, FM Towns Marty, Neo CD
2. Potential Amiga, X68000, CPS2, Gameboy Advance emulation.
3. The possibilty of newer system emulation at a later stage (32x, 3d0)
4. The chance to get existing emulators running smoother (snes, MD, pc engine)
5. True multimedia capabilities with affordable SD card storage. 1gb = £35.
6. Better pad layout for most systems with the 4 action buttons.
7. I also have faith in the comments made by both Craig and GP Holdings regarding not judging the systems capabilities by what we have read so far.

I realise it may be more of a challenge to program for, but the satisfaction levels may be higher for the devvers if they can turn out an excellent emulator because of it. We all can look and laugh at the specs of a gameboy advance, but look at what it has acheived emulation wise and it is quite staggering everything considered. Now if we can use the same philosophy with gpx2 and get behind the handheld from the start, i think that by christmas we could have our hands on one very very desirable handheld console.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't expecting a device that was designed with video playback in mind, the hardware IS designed for this though. This could well limit it's potential as "better than GP32" handheld.

I suppose the thing is that Gamepark Holdings NEED to make profit. If they just released a new handheld with a faster CPU we'd all be happy, but if the GP32 was anything to go by then they wouldn't make the sales targets and coverage that they'd really like to have. By marketing it as a video/music/gaming/entertainment device they reach a much wider audience and thus sales. The trump card they have is being able to scale down and play high(er) resolution video at good framerates, surely a first for any device and something that consumers will want to have, especially given the figures quoted for battery life when doing this.

Just look at the websites main page, "video codecs", "SD card", "USB 2.0", "affordable". All the things you'd want in a video playing device.

As to whether this will attract developers or not, who knows. It's certainly an exiciting prospect having such a setup in a handheld console, but to get the best out of the hardware (make faster emulators - not just with ~80Mhz extra on the main core) it will delay development of software. While porting stuff for the main core might not be so much of a problem, I think a lot of people will find it hard to justify purchasing a GPX2 without there being any emulators readily available right away. The 2nd core will certainly take longer to develop things for (at least to begin with) than a single-core-same-architecture but faster CPU would have. Then again, maybe this is what is needed to attract developer and homebrew interest - a different hardware approach.

^^^ Presuming that there are no emulators ready for "release" at the moment. Which I don't actually know either way.

I guess we'll just have to wait a little while longer and see what happens. I would hope that there will be some commercial games, etc, revealed at some point. That would certainly help with initial sales to consumers/the public/non-GP32 owners.

So How much is it??? Its cheaper than the current GP32, But by how much??

Let me know a price and maybe I will sell my FLU and get one (Like a Direct Swap if the new one is a low price :))

Seems like all of these companies are trying to do too much. I want a PMP to play movies. I want a portable gamer to play games on.

To combine the two is treading on uneven ground.

Each application requires different hardware, and to combine the two puts one or the other at a disadvantage.

I'll buy an Archos for video. Give me a high-quality portable gaming device.

Minimum Requirements: Only can run Corn, but can run UltraHLE but with slow speeds
Pentium 2 200MHZ
32MB RAM
Voodoo 1, TNT,
Any 16 bit PCI sound card
Emulators that work good with this requirements:
Corn, UltraHLE
2nd Minimum Requirements: Can run some roms at full speed with low level emulators
Pentium 2 400MHZ
64MB RAM
Voodoo 2, tnt, Geforce 256
Sound Blaster 64 AWE
Emulators that work good with this requirements:
Corn, UltraHLE, SupraHLE

well what do you think of this?

N64 and PS1 emu are a possibility but the chances of getting the most intensive games to run at full speed are slim. It all depends on how much access there is to the co-processor.

Bleem and N64 were both very functional on a 300mhz system and that was with windows running and with graphical enhancements at 640*480

x68000 posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:33 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:10 PM said:
x68000 posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:07 PM said:
i for one think that this handheld is going to blow so many people away when they see what it is capable of.

And i can't wait to see davec have to eat his own words when he is proved wrong. Will he ever be able to show his face once everyone else is reaping the rewards of the gpx2???
Why do you think it is gonna be so great?
The only thing about it I am interested in is DivX.

7. I also have faith in the comments made by both Craig and GP Holdings regarding not judging the systems capabilities by what we have read so far.

I realise it may be more of a challenge to program for, but the satisfaction levels may be higher for the devvers if they can turn out an excellent emulator because of it. We all can look and laugh at the specs of a gameboy advance, but look at what it has acheived emulation wise and it is quite staggering everything considered. Now if we can use the same philosophy with gpx2 and get behind the handheld from the start, i think that by christmas we could have our hands on one very very desirable handheld console.

Very true, we need to get behind it instead of flaming it every 5 minutes.

trooper posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:03 PM said:
rabbits with hats posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:58 PM said:
carlgeorge posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:56 PM said:
Steve-o at

About $200 at which is what at £110?

I think it's more like £130 to £150

£113.901 GBP according to XE.com

Trooper
damn i wass to slow... :p

Angel posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:24 PM said:
Personally i don't care what happens with this. I'm not buying one with these specs to just have a glorified movie player. And then you buy SD cards that the size needed will cost more than UMD movies and UMD movies will be much better quality.

Well..... UMD's aren't re-writeable. Besides, the gp32 was originally advertised as a media player :p

gba-cube posted on Jul 28 2005 at 09:05 PM said:
Steve-o at

Trooper

Yea but that means importing and risking customs charges... I wanted to know GBAX's price :)

Steve-O posted on Jul 28 2005 at 10:48 PM said:
hope it has no problems with dead pixels etc like PSP had :(
As it likely uses the blu+ screen i doubt it :)

Steve-O posted on Jul 28 2005 at 11:08 PM said:
Steve-o at

Trooper

Yea but that means importing and risking customs charges... I wanted to know GBAX's price :)
well, they sayed below gp32, wich they are currently selling for 99.99gbp.

Steve-O posted on Jul 28 2005 at 10:08 PM said:
Steve-o at

Trooper

me tooooooo

x68000 posted on Jul 28 2005 at 08:33 PM said:

I honnestly also support this project & think it'll be great, but we cannot dream so much.... I would love a FM Towns Marty emulation, but it sounds near impossible to me ... imagine, it's running an intel 386 or 486 (which means needs to emulate x86 architecture) + many co-pro ... Moreover it's usually documented only in japanese & sounds always hard to emulate....

If one day I can run a sort of dos on an emulated x86 of any speed I would already be impress :p

The X68000 sounds more possible.... if one handled around there success to reach at less Amiga 1200 emulation without any troubles ;) which will be really hard! Once again as a Japanese system the docs are hard to get & the beast is complicated by itself....

CPS2 sounds also quite crazy for this generation of handled... surely the next one ;)

the 3D0 & 32X will never appear imo .... the 3DO isn't yet emulated at all afaik, and surely like the Saturn it'll take ages to get a true emulator running at descent speed on big P4 ;op

but except those little dreaming points you're totaly right :)
I would put perfect Amiga / gba as the most advanced emu which will be reach by this generation of handled....

Back