Gpfce 0.3

pferguso said:
Awesome job! I have a suggestion though. Could you make it where we can create our own .gpe that will automatically launch with a specific rom?

This way, we can make individual NES game links directly from Gmenu2x!
You can already do this, the contents of .gpe should be:
./gpfce <romname>
./gpfce -showfps <romname>

Blah said:
The version on the archive is different than the one Notaz posted here. It doesn't work properly.
But it's the same file..

Blah said:
There should be an option to disable the selector. I might hack that in for myself.
Yeah just comment out all selector stuff in drivers/gp2x/gp2x.c . Simply deleting selector binary might also work.

Last edited by a moderator:
this version is based on pretty old 0.81 version of FCE Ultra

This version probably does not support some mappers then. I`m not sure if this can help, but there is man, named CaH4e3. He modified FCEUltra for Win32 to make it support some rare games dumped by himself.
http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/fceultra.html

Anyway, compatibility already almost perfect, so guess it doesn`t needed.

compatibility issues to look at:

Rainbow Islands - The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 (J) - starts without sound then hangs ingame

Rainbow Islands - The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 (U) works
indeed ..but a very "pale" colour-palette

good work notaz :)
sega defeated .. now the little nes
bigthankyou

clean_sandwich said:
it doesnt work for me. what it does is, goes to the rom selection and doesnt display any roms
i've got the same problem. created that roms\nes folder on my SD card, but it doesn't display any roms on the selector screen. anyone help me please - how can i fix it?

and -YES- i've put some roms in that folder ;)

Well, I went away for the weekend and came back to see this thread floating on the first page of "new posts". :D I bought my GP2X initially for the ability to play NES games (and Genesis) on a handheld. You've managed to improve both of these emus for me and I'm grateful :) I haven't had the chance to play with this yet, since I just got back but am looking forward to doing so by the end of the day. Cheers notaz!

Bluntman said:
clean_sandwich said:
it doesnt work for me. what it does is, goes to the rom selection and doesnt display any roms
i've got the same problem. created that roms\nes folder on my SD card, but it doesn't display any roms on the selector screen. anyone help me please - how can i fix it?

What format are they in? Make sure they are zipped in .zip format or are just plain .nes files. I know someone else recently had the problem that his files were in .rar format.

DaveC said:
notaz said:
Still not sure what to do with the menu, would like to give this emu some "personality", but don't have any ideas. Will wait for suggestions, and then fall back to PD style menu, if nothing comes up.
Look at Reesy's PocketSNES menu, it basically the same layout as PD but has a background and graphic at the top. The source is available too. That should be a sufficient enhancement. You could make the background a static picture and allow for users to change the image as well.

just my personal opinion, but i like the picodrive menu way better then the dps menu. that red text on blue background clashes pretty bad imo. and the semi-transparent effect in pd menu is awesome. plus better font on the rom selector. anyway, not like it matters that much.

you da man notaz...

naples39 said:
Bluntman said:
clean_sandwich said:

What format are they in? Make sure they are zipped in .zip format or are just plain .nes files. I know someone else recently had the problem that his files were in .rar format.

Also make sure that the config file has

fileFilter=zip
fileFilter=nes

in there somewhere.

Mine originally said zip, but all of my roms were nes and nothing showed up.

I think this release really cranks up the brightness. On my normal edition GP2X the black border that's supposed to be black is more like dark grey :(. Could you please fix this? 0.2 looked alright to me.

Compatibility: I couldn't get any Dragon Warrior to run. Tried 3 different dumps of the original, + one each for DW2, 3 and 4. Weird...

Regarding menu backgrounds, my favourite is still the more recent PicoDrive where you get a faded paused screen from the game you're playing. Keep up the good work notaz!

Optimistic said:
Bluntman said:

Also make sure that the config file has

fileFilter=zip
fileFilter=nes

in there somewhere.

Mine originally said zip, but all of my roms were nes and nothing showed up.
Thanx Optmistic, I'll try it later. For now, I'm captured at work - can't wait to get home and see if Gargoyles Quest II finally appears on that little screen
yeeeah.gif

Roms that no longer start up, just for information..

Dr. Mario
Monopoly

Glitched/Unplayable.

MULE

Otherwise, I like the release so far, and I enjoyed the news that work is being taken up.
Thank you for your work.

Winterkid said:
Roms that no longer start up, just for information..

Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario (E) works for me.

However, the emulator doesn't seem to care about PAL / NTSC speed.
All PAL games run too fast (they need to be run with 50Hz, seems like they run with 60 like the NTSC games)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
However, the emulator doesn't seem to care about PAL / NTSC speed.
All PAL games run too fast (they need to be run with 50Hz, seems like they run with 60 like the NTSC games)
Ah, so that's the problem! I thought dear old Mario seemed a little bit...hysterical :)

clean_sandwich said:
it doesnt work for me. what it does is, goes to the rom selection and doesnt display any roms, goes black and turns my brightness on my screen WAAAY up and resets back to the gp2x screen. whats going on?

having this problem now, cannot get it to load properly, dont know how to fix it, i have the exact same symptoms : (

edit

ok got it working (i had too many roms in my roms folder (900) removing 800 seemed to fix it)

having some problems with some games (some dont run some lock up)

il list a few ive tried and which dont work right, i have tried 50-60 roms so the compatibility is pretty good (i dont know what version these roms are.)

Bubble bobble 1 : doesn't load
Bubble Bobble 2 : works but locks up mid game
Cool Spot : doesn't load Grey screen
Mega Man 1 : locks up mid game (after picking character)
Robocop versus Terminator : Freezes on title-credits but game carries on

im enjoying tetris and marble madness $$ very cool
lethal weapon : seems to freeze on load

Back