Gpfce 0.3

Thanks Notaz for the update to this. This was another emu in need of some fixin'

One thing I would consider adding is a menu. Maybe you could add one like your Picodrive menu? Selector is OK but the fact that every function has to be tied to a button combo is confusing and not too intuitive. Loading ROMs by exiting to the selector needs too many buttons to activate and is awkward. It is hard to memorize what each button and combo is, especially if the emu is not used for awhile. I end up just pressing a bunch of things until I luck out and find the right combo (usually ending up creating a bunch of unwanted save states in the process). Yes I can read the readme, if I happen to have my computer on while playing. If a menu was added you would only need 1 hotkey to get to the menu to load roms create saves etc.

You were thinking about better scaling. Couldn't you use the same algorythm that you used for Picodrive? You only need horizontal for NES too.

Thanks for the great work.

I agree with DaveC about the menu. Selector works, but it's bare bones. The Picodrive menu wasn't anything fancy to look at but it had all the configuration options you'd ever need, they were easy enough to find, and the defaults were sane.

Also, can you change the key combo to get back to the menu/Selector/whatever? Currently, you have to click on the save and load state buttons, which could cause an unhappy accident for someone who's not careful. Both volume buttons together (without the shoulder buttons) seems to work good for DrPocketSNES, maybe that could be used here?

Glad to see someone's picked this up. :)

@naples39

Look here if you want to donate.

@notaz
Impressive work as always. One question with the ARM core: I think it's a 6502 derivate. Is it possible to use the core (Theoretically) for emulating systems like C64 or some MAME machines or is that pure nonsense?

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the update. NES emulation has always been just a tad short of perfect for the GP2X, and though I haven't fully tested yet I'm pretty sure this is as good as I could have hoped for :)

Excellent.

I tried Gradius (U) as my first game, and unfortunately I may have found a bug.

The screen stopped updating yet the emulation contiunued. ie. Sound effects and input continued to function however there was no screen/video update.

slaanesh said:
Excellent.

The screen stopped updating yet the emulation contiunued. ie. Sound effects and input continued to function however there was no screen/video update.
I had the same thing happen the first time I played SMB3. Loaded again and it worked fine.

slaanesh said:
Excellent.

Happened to me too. In SMB1 and Castlevania.

LegendaryMachine said:
What about the color pallets? I can't stand how they whack out half of the time. Elec Man's stage on Rock Man is freaking grey.
I have only optimized it, not fixed any bugs. What you mean here is that emulator is using wrong palette for some games?

SiDCrAzY said:
It works for me, except the roms aren't in alphabetical order anymore, no biggie though.
I haven't touched the selector, don't know why it's acting differently.

sbock said:
@notaz
Impressive work as always. One question with the ARM core: I think it's a 6502 derivate. Is it possible to use the core (Theoretically) for emulating systems like C64 or some MAME machines or is that pure nonsense?
Of course it is, but not without some work. The 6502 in NES was missing BCD mode, and that asm core can't emulate some undocumented operations, which might be needed for those systems to work..

slaanesh said:
Weird, will try to reproduce.

Ok, here is wish-TODO list:
  • Menu (volume middle to enter)
  • USB gamepad support
  • Software scaling
  • FDS support
  • custom palettes
  • try to boost the volume a little, fake stereo
  • Unbreak game genie support
The menu should have:
  • The usual stuff like load_rom/save_state/load_state/reset/exit
  • config of controls
  • Gamma control
  • Sprite limit on/off
  • CPU clock
  • Scaling option
Compatibility issues to look at:
  • [fixed]Gradius 2 (J) - graphics
  • Captain Skyhawk (U) (PRG1) [!] - hang
  • SolarJetman (U) [!] - hang
  • Marble Madness (U) [!] - graphics
  • Prisones of War - graphics, game locks at first boss.
  • Guerilla War - glitches
  • Iron Tank - glitches
  • [fixed]Battletoads and Double Dragon - hang
  • Ikari Warriors-1 - hang
  • Ikari Warriors-3 - graphics
  • [fixed]Snake Rattle`n Roll - hang
  • Saint Seiya - Ougon Densetsu Kanketsu Hen - hang
  • [fixed]Castlevania 3 - hang
  • Rainbow Islands - The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 (J)
  • Dragon Warrior
  • Final Fantasy-1 - darkness appears while walking
  • Flying Warriors - hang
  • Blaster master - graphics
  • Dr. Mario - hang
  • Monopoly - hang/corruptions
  • Bubble bobble 1 - doesn't load
  • Bubble Bobble 2 - works but locks up mid game
  • Cool Spot - doesn't load Grey screen
  • Mega Man 1 - locks up mid game (after picking character)
  • lethal weapon - seems to freeze on load
  • RC Pro-Am - terrible gfx glitches
  • Total Recall - glitches
  • Cobra Triangle - (It has heavy graphic corruptions...)
  • Super Mario Bros 2 - MMC1 hack broken in japanese version
  • Baseball Stars - graphics glitches
  • Bases Loaded II - won't load
  • Paperboy - no controls?
the list goes on..

Still not sure what to do with the menu, would like to give this emu some "personality", but don't have any ideas. Will wait for suggestions, and then fall back to PD style menu, if nothing comes up.

I found another problem with Gradius 2 (J), the graphics are not right. You can see straight away when you start playing after selecting the ship.

I've tried others and they seem to work find and it seems a lot of stuff will work @ 133Mhz full speed 60FPS.

As Borat would say "Nice!"

Oh yes, big thumbs up to a software scaler like the 32-column one used Picodrive! That would be grand! And I'd say very pretty to boot.

notaz said:
Ok, here is wish-TODO list:
  • Menu..
  • USB gamepad support
  • Software scaling
The menu should have:
  • The usual stuff like load_rom/save_state/load_state/reset/exit
  • config of controls
  • Gamma control
  • Sprite limit on/off
  • CPU clock?
  • Scaling option
Still not sure what to do with the menu, would like to give this emu some "personality", but don't have any ideas. Will wait for suggestions, and then fall back to PD style menu, if nothing comes up.

I think the Picodrive menu system would work fine.

I have just one request: PLEASE make a better key combo to get to the menu. I've always disliked playing games in GPFCE because whenever I try to press L+R+Stick Click, I can't press them simultaneously enough and either end up overwriting save states, loading them, or turning turbo on. This caused me to have to start over in Metroid >_> I'd recommend maybe the "middle" volume button like PocketSNES does.

Now, on a more positive note, the performance in this new version is amazing. I used to be running this at 250mhz to make sure everything ran fast, now I'm playing everything at 150! YOU WIN!

Miika said:
slaanesh said:
Excellent.

Happened to me too. In SMB1 and Castlevania.

I am also seeing the grahpic bug, i have seen it on smb3

Got a couple games not working but were working fine in v0.2 and they are...

Captain Skyhawk (U) (PRG1) [!]
SolarJetman (U) [!]

Both these games cant get past the opening copyright notices of the intros.

Marble Madness (U) [!]

This has a few graphical glitches when playing.

Thats all i've found that no one else hasnt already mentioned yet, if i find anymore i'll obviously let you know.

When Gpfce was first released It 's famicom disk system feature was inactive. Could this be made active
anytime soon? :eek:

clean_sandwich said:
it doesnt work for me. what it does is, goes to the rom selection and doesnt display any roms, goes black and turns my brightness on my screen WAAAY up and resets back to the gp2x screen. whats going on?
this is happening to me now.. I have a MK2 with firmware 2.1.1

edit: it seems to be working now that i've reduced the number of roms..

Back