GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

This looks interesting, looks like Intel have been working with others in getting Linux working along side Android on Cherry Trail SOC based devices.

http://liliputing.com/2016/02/intels-android-smartphone-prototype-is-also-a-linux-desktop-pc.html
I love this forum sometimes - We can have dozens of threads created about the same thing, which then need to be merged; and then we also have little gems like this hidden inside a loosely-related thread.

Anyway... I kind of like the sound of the device, but the problem with Android on x86 is that a number of apps do not support the x86 architecture, obviously all the ones just written in Java will, but I know Skype doesn't (or at least didn't), and I imagine most games will use native code, and thus be reliant on ARM

Yeah, I'm glad to see Intel has done this. Hopefully the work is transportable to the WIN so we can get Linux on it.

So GPD have posted a number of shell samples on Indiegogo via some updates.

Here they are :

gpxfmgqkxyp9fdpqv0uv.jpg

vcayc07kbphrqftkqan2.jpg

asih1dvqxxr1qc4gvrja.jpg

nrpihsmpz2lvavavfzo7.jpg

uxufjdjkai7jeqg3nmrw.jpg

utypr9ndlcm9h9jjocck.jpg

gzzo2zcadvds9hlsao7x.jpg

What's so surprising? Everything they need can be sourced locally and all the factories are local.
Those Cheaters! :D
Seriously, I also was thinking how fast these chinese boys can be. Imagine if you could merge their speed with our western quality development. I guess that#s why many western companies have their outpost right in China, so they can interact with the chinese right there.
That was actualy the major fault in the Pandora development: making the Device in China was not the actual problem but not dealing with the chinese through an western company that have their own people there made things complicated. Communication is very important we learned.
I'm sure, the Pyra would be already out and with the desired quality, if ED would have found an experienced partner that are western but manufactures in China.

It's not that incredibly fast.

They're working on the design since November, it's VERY similar to the existing GPD XD, the pieces are very simple and the only thing that's really new (the keyboard) is not designed yet, that's just a block that shows where the keys are, it cannot be pressed.
I'm not even sure they're plastic injection yet, from the pictures it looks like a rapid prototype.

So yeah, those can be made from an existing design within a few days.

I'm also sure it's an 3D print and based on a altered existing design. But the Pyra case is also based on the Pandora design and the greek company needed many months to alter everything into the current Pyra case, making the actual molds not even counting.
At least we have most of the molds now, still not finished but on a good way. I hope they will have all Pyra molds soon finished.

We had 3D prints of the Pyra case many months ago now. Mind you this doesn't look to me like the same sort of 3D printer output - I'm not sure what other types or rapid prototyping there are, of if it was just printed using a different material making it look different to most other 3d printed things I've seen.

I'm also sure it's an 3D print and based on a altered existing design. But the Pyra case is also based on the Pandora design and the greek company needed many months to alter everything into the current Pyra case, making the actual molds not even counting.

No, it isn't. The Pyra case was a complete recreation, we didn't have any of the original design files for that.
It's been designed from scratch, based on Pandoras design.

GPD HAS the original GPD XD design files. Changing measurements or moving some things around (like the cutout for the DPad, the nubs, etc.) can be done within minutes if you have the proper design files.

My wife does CAD, so I know how that works.
You've got some reference points and the CAD software changes everything else itself. You want to make it 2cm wider? Just change the parameter and the CAD software will adopt everything else that relies on that.

So they didn't really have that much work to create the design.
[doublepost=1458663823,1458663761][/doublepost]
We had 3D prints of the Pyra case many months ago now. Mind you this doesn't look to me like the same sort of 3D printer output - I'm not sure what other types or rapid prototyping there are, of if it was just printed using a different material making it look different to most other 3d printed things I've seen.

It looks like the rapid prototyping they usually do for industrial testing.
We had some Pyra cases like that as well. They are more accurate but easily break, so they weren't usable for me.

EDIT:
Here is a picture of them.
They often are white, but you can also use colors.

They look like those, especially if you look at the keyboard.

Attachments

• IMG_20160322_172730.jpg
    IMG_20160322_172730.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Maybe I'm looking at it weirdly but the pyra seems just as different from the pandora as the win looks to the XD, if not much more so.

The idea that the win is just a slight modification of the XD is absurd.

If ED's argument is slight modifications were done to make the XD a win then the pyra is a clone of the Pandora using that logic.

Maybe I'm looking at it weirdly but the pyra seems just as different from the pandora as the win looks to the XD, if not much more so.

The idea that the win is just a slight modification of the XD is absurd.

If ED's argument is slight modifications were done to make the XD a win then the pyra is a clone of the Pandora using that logic.
Except that ED also said that the Pyra case design was rebuilt from scratch. It's one thing to clone the design files and then move things around, it's quite another to recreate a design without them.

-Neelix

No, it isn't. The Pyra case was a complete recreation, we didn't have any of the original design files for that.
It's been designed from scratch, based on Pandoras design.
Really? Hmm, I thought to save costs you used the old case files and altered/tweaked these like you described, cause they are basicly almost identical from the shape. When starting from scratch you could have done some serious re-design of the case, I never liked the shape of the Pandora, for example the weird roundings on the outer lid shell alone make me dizzy. xD

Except that ED also said that the Pyra case design was rebuilt from scratch. It's one thing to clone the design files and then move things around, it's quite another to recreate a design without them.

-Neelix
I understand his argument. I don't feel he's representing the situation accurately.

They are making it physically bigger, slimmer, adding a keyboard, adding ports, different pcb, bigger screen, etc.

The same things as the pyra did. Things that effect the case mold.

Last edited:
I know it's beating a dead horse at this point but I guess some of us were still holding out hope that they might wake up and change things and that's looking less and less likely. This keyboard design may go down as one of the laziest and worst in the history of handhelds. It's very close to the center part of a full sized layout with the function keys shifted down and escape, arrows, and insert crammed in. And a couple other things (pgup/down) on the side. The position of volume and L3/R3 is just pitiful.

And there are changes that are just so obvious.. even keeping the basic layout of the center part, throwing out the right hand side, moving the mouse switch and some buttons (start/select) up and blowing up the keyboard to take up more vertical and horizontal space would be a lot better than this. Still terrible, but a lot better.

They really must have had never had any intention of soliciting user feedback at all.

Back