GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

My keyboard has stopped working :/
Do the 10 keys to the right work still?
My main keyboard went out for a day while the side keys worked fine and many restarts did nothing and the next day it acted like nothing had happened and was perfectly fine.
Also has happened to a couple other people so you might be the same.

Tweezers won't work, I've been using some dentist picks and even those barely fit,
I would have done something similar, I just didn't want to recommend something that might damage the contacts.

need to find my tiny drillbits and give those a whirl.
I get it. ;)

Gonna assume acetone would do the trick but it'd also work well on the plastic as well so that's out.
That is one of the things I meant by "or something", however, like shoving something in the connector and scraping, the results might be too destructive. I wish I had more helpful suggestions.

Fuuuuun times, if its not one thing it's another.
As long as you are having fun with it they did their job. :p

Do the 10 keys to the right work still?
My main keyboard went out for a day while the side keys worked fine and many restarts did nothing and the next day it acted like nothing had happened and was perfectly fine.
Also has happened to a couple other people so you might be the same.
yes they work fine
Edit: and this morning the keyboard works.

Last edited:
  • Working with Visual Studio is somewhat of a challenge if your used to code on a 24" 1920x1200 screen

I'm a bit behind on this thread. Which version of VS are you using? does it run okay?
I saw you said it was company issued. How is it as a work device?

Do any of you have any idea what the red stuff is they slathered over all the connectors?
wtl1LhVh.jpg

Because the sticks were just flopping around and being a pain I decided to remove them which was apparently a mistake.
I cannot get the ribbon cable to go back into the connector because it is so full of the stuff.
Without knowing what the stuff is I'm hesitant to try anything.
They just had to slather this on the connectors....
I'm going to guess that the red stuff is probably a hot glue variety. It doesn't show up very well in this video teardown (), zoom in at the 4:41 mark. It looks like there might be some small red blotches there holding things in place. The guy that did the teardown noticed that he after he removed the speaker, the latch holding the keyboard connector was unusable for him. That may have been due to him breaking the latch and not to some glue holding it in place though. If you have good eyes and a steady hand, I think that you (or someone) can remove the glue and re-seat things if need be.

I'll ask some more questions online, to try to ascertain what type of glue it is. Good luck. I'm still trying to get my (ordered) GPD Win delivered. Ordered 6 months ago from DragonBox. I've sent ED emails and still nothing. Count yourself lucky.

I'm a bit behind on this thread. Which version of VS are you using? does it run okay?
I saw you said it was company issued. How is it as a work device?
I can only rummage around in my memory (as my GPD-Win is still in the domain of the evil dragon), but I remember it running ok-ish: it takes a while to start (even with no extensions installed) and as long as the projects weren't very big it was ok to work and compile - just for fun I tried to compile my companies biggest application, and it took ages to load (as the solution has 20+ projects with lots of code files) and I stopped the compile process after ~8h. It looks like it isn't a good idea to use extension if they already are slowing VS down on a desktop - I tried ReSharper (as I am used to having it at work) and it really dragged VS down on the WIN.
I installed the, back then, latest Community Edition as installing my companies VS2015Pro would have caused licensing issues of some sort. I can't remember the details, I think I remember the guy from the company that manages our licensing saying something about "MS SPLA" conditions being violated.
How it fares as a work device isn't very clear yet. Long story short: my company is trying to save money currently, thus our bonus payments were cancelled, but my (sub)boss wants to keep us happy (so we do not leave the company as several others already did). In order to do that he utilizes something he still has control of, the IT-budget.
So I got the device,but I am not allowed to use it (as others in the company may find that unfair) as I intended: to accompany me when I am doing support or maintenance work, were moving around with a laptop is just impractical: usually I just need a browser to have access to our knowledge database, our telephone appliance, to configure switches or access some third party software portal.
But during the little use it actually got in the company, it was great for me to have it to take notes,look something up or changing some configurations while sitting under a table or being cramped between to network racks.
Occasionally I need Outlook, but I haven't tested that yet > We use Citrix to "distribute" our applications to desktops/thinclients/laptops, so I probably won't be able to adjust Outlook much to the smaller screen/lower resolution of the WIN, as that would give me headaches when I sitting in front of my 24" display. And I don't know whether Outlook 2010 cares about Windows 10 scaling mechanisms or not.

I'll ask some more questions online, to try to ascertain what type of glue it is. Good luck. I'm still trying to get my (ordered) GPD Win delivered. Ordered 6 months ago from DragonBox. I've sent ED emails and still nothing. Count yourself lucky.
Don't worry, I am pretty sure ED will work things out: the thing with ED is, you need to be patient. Not because he is lazy, but he juggles three jobs at the same time

I'm still trying to get my (ordered) GPD Win delivered. Ordered 6 months ago from DragonBox. I've sent ED emails and still nothing. Count yourself lucky.

Maybe check your emails or spam folder, because I replied to your mail from a few days ago together with a shipping option.

BTW: It doesn't have anything to do with luck that he received his order.
Everyone who completed the order had the unit shipped the same day.
You didn't finish it, so of course it hasn't been shipped yet.

The fastest way to get responds with anything shop related (usually within 1 - 2 days) is by using the shops contact form, btw.
Email is a lot slower, as I'm being flooded there.

I'm wishing I got mine from ED rather than Indiegogo right now. It would have cost me a little more but when things go wrong I could send it to ED rather than fix it myself.
[doublepost=1481730912,1481727892][/doublepost]
I was able to configure snes9x (which doesn't like switching devices on the fly) I am not able to walk diagonally.
There's actually a setting for the diagonals in the control settings that needs to be assigned to the diagonals of the dpad. Don't ask me why I don't know but it needs to be done to make the diagonals work with the Win.

I'm wishing I got mine from ED rather than Indiegogo right now. It would have cost me a little more but when things go wrong I could send it to ED rather than fix it myself.
[doublepost=1481730912,1481727892][/doublepost]
There's actually a setting for the diagonals in the control settings that needs to be assigned to the diagonals of the dpad. Don't ask me why I don't know but it needs to be done to make the diagonals work with the Win.
Could you give me a hint on how I can assign them ? I saw the possibility to do that in the control configuration dialog, but I could not figure out how to assign that, as just pushing the DPAD simultaneously in two directions accomplished nothing.

Pushing the DPAD in two directions simultaneously is how I did it but it took multiple attempts as it would often register as one of the directions rather than diagonals. Also I did it in Xinput mode so can't tell you if it works in Direct Input mode.

Pushing the DPAD in two directions simultaneously is how I did it but it took multiple attempts as it would often register as one of the directions rather than diagonals. Also I did it in Xinput mode so can't tell you if it works in Direct Input mode.
Maybe it was the input mode, I tried pushing the DPAD in two directions simultaneously but it never registered. Will try that, when ED sends me the replacement, sometime next year

Well my display driver started crashing today :/

which hopefully has all the corrections needed so this does not happen to me

So... how happy are you WIN owners with the unit?
I was thinking about getting my daughter a small computer and the WIN was an option but after reading up I get the impression there's a lot of problems but people don't want to whine about them.
I might be better off getting her a Netbook maybe?

Very dependent on use case.

GPD-WIN
  • Very small
  • GPU/CPU that have been chosen with games in mind (this isn't to say you can't get reasonable Notebooks, but at the same time a lot of cheap Notebooks are designed for office/internet browsing instead of games)
  • Proper gaming controls (dual stick, DPAD, buttons, double triggers)
  • Proper community (helps for getting tips of squeeing performance, tricks for productivity, etc.)
  • Decent battery life
Notebook
  • Better keyboard, if she is going to do much in the way of typing (i.e. composing documents, long emails, etc.) then the keyboard on the GPD-WIN isn't particularly great. It is very much a 'thumb typing' keyboard, it takes a little while to get used to, and then works pretty well. After using it for sometime, I personally find the Pandora keyboard better (although I wouldn't like to use either for typing huge amounts of text).
  • Better mouse, if she is going to be doing anything which requires lots of mouse action, then even the crappy nubs/touchpads on notebooks will likely be more useful than the GPD-WIN
  • More options/customisation when buying
  • Potential upgradability
  • Potentially better build quality and less likely to have faults
For me personally, if someone gave me the chance to swap my GPD-WIN for a Notebook I'd simply laugh. A notebook would be pretty much useless to me, where as my GPD-WIN gets weekly use.

So I can order the "repair kit" but my hands aren't steady enough to install it myself. Really wishing I got mine from ED rather than Indiegogo right now.

So... how happy are you WIN owners with the unit?
I was thinking about getting my daughter a small computer and the WIN was an option but after reading up I get the impression there's a lot of problems but people don't want to whine about them.
I might be better off getting her a Netbook maybe?

I'm quite happy with my unit, don't have any issue so far. I hope I won't suddenly get the display driver failure other users seems to have.

It's clearly not perfect, you have to manually adapt the fan to the situation, you have to switch the joystick mode before starting a game (and to know whether to use direct input or XBox mode), the triggers button could be better and the keyboard is only good for short text inputs (naming stuff in the games, key shortcut or typing URLs is fine, typing longer text while holding the device would be pretty painful).

The choice between this and a netbook will depend on the expected usage, but if you go for the GPD Win it would be a good idea to wait for later batches that would hopefully fix the problem found with the first batches.

Control polling rate has been fixed and now all works perfect. Was an easy update.

P.S: Got a complete new/unused GPD Win (2nd batch from december) to sell in Germany. Interested? PM me. Paypal possible.

Last edited:
Back