GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Did the controller firmware update as well. It's noticeably better than what it shipped with. Main thing for me was analog page scrolling for web browsing worked, but was shitty, now it's near perfect.

So I got a new unit from ED (well more or less as the there was no protection on the GPD-Logo and the Logo already had some scratches), but did not have that much time to play around with it:
No display driver crashes at all (had some in the beginning with the old unit, but they stopped after a driver update), so I guess some alterations were made to my unit.
Sadly this unit has a warped lower case, as it does not sit flush on a table anymore, thus one edge is slight raised - which I find a tad annoying as I rarely pick it up at work. Still have some strange WiFi issues: It connects to my home network fine but it does not connect to the my companies main WiFi network, but to my companies guest WiFi, although the one configuration is an altered copy of the other (with the working one being more restrictive). My old unit could connect fine to it, other devices (tablets, cellphones, Laptops) can too.
But the biggest gripe is Windows 10, the more I have to use it, the more I dislike it: Connecting to the companies network just fails, without giving the user the slightest hint about why it failed. I (surprisingly) managed to Install Win10 pro with a DELL-OEM key on it, just to discover that getting BitLocker isn't an easy task/probably not possible: poking around with the group policy editor resulted in Windows telling me that this device has no keyboard that is available "pre boot" so I guess its not possible. Windows now comes with bloatware too, and lots of little bugs that are annoying (like Windows telling me I could free up some space every 30 min, although I already did that, privacy settings getting reset after updates, etc.)

Did the controller firmware update as well. It's noticeably better than what it shipped with. Main thing for me was analog page scrolling for web browsing worked, but was shitty, now it's near perfect.
Still hesitant to do this as one guy complained about the nubs behaving differently now, and I do not care that much about the page scrolling

It looks like they "removed" (probably only hid) most of the configuration stuff from the BIOS, is there a way to "unhide" these options ?

It looks like they "removed" (probably only hid) most of the configuration stuff from the BIOS, is there a way to "unhide" these options ?
You should be able to downgrade your BIOS. IIRC, The Phawx should have a video on that.

Still hesitant to do this as one guy complained about the nubs behaving differently now, and I do not care that much about the page scrolling

the controller firmware is different than the bios update, the utility runs within windows. You hold down R3 on powerup IIRC, you lose the ability to use the controller in that mode until you either reset or flash the controller firmware.

For some strange reason some of the bios config stuff in the new bios has a bug or something in it that it's not visible until you reset bios settings to default. But after you do that all options are accessible until you exit so you can change the settings that are "hidden"

Been trying to figure out anything on the large amounts of keyboard issues people are having and got this response.
For the keyboard issue,It should be the reason is lack of voltage of CPU.
It lead to some hardware drive loading incomplete when power on or insert a heavy hard disk.
So the keyboard may suddenly stop working a few second.
This is way over my head so does that sound like a possible reason for a the keyboard issues people are having?
In the revised model they did say they did a minor tweak of the PCB which means no one should ever have issues with graphics driver crashes which I'm wondering if it might not have just been for the graphics driver crashes and if that solves these problems as well.

Just a quick update:

The "major update" GPD announced is actually a new silicon mat for the DPad, a keyboard that has been improved a bit (although, according to Kendy, it doesn't make much difference), and that's it.
The rest is the updated firmware we already have :)

So basically, the big thing is the DPad silicon-mat. And here's the good news:
Anyone who bought a unit at my shop will get the new silicon mat for free, if he wants to.
Just send me a mail with your order number or name (shop@dragonbox.de)

And if you send us your unit, we'll modify it for free (except for shipping costs when living outside of Germany). However, if you're fine with your DPad, there's no need to do that.
I haven't used the new mat yet, so I have no idea if it's really better or not.

I would like to hear what people think of the new keyboard compared to the old one. @EvilDragon would be a good source for that, and anyone else that has/had both.

The keymat can't possibly be a bigger problem than the positioning. Good to see GPD are engaging in some aftercare.
I don't know what "improvements" they made with the keyboard. I figure it is probably to make it cheaper to produce, although it could be to make it function better (I just had to check to make sure it is supposed to be a hardware thing in ED's update). I want it to be an improved layout, like centering it at least.

I don't know what "improvements" they made with the keyboard. I figure it is probably to make it cheaper to produce, although it could be to make it function better (I just had to check to make sure it is supposed to be a hardware thing in ED's update). I want it to be an improved layout, like centering it at least.
The Chinese announcement mentioned a new Guozi film
655b5cf9-1eea-4b90-a6a5-33dd04f36a00.jpeg
Which apparently are the name of these.
So they either changed the little clicky popper thing or judging by google results they stuffed some Chinese movie in the keyboard.
I've been trying to get a new keyboard to compare but I've only got them to commit to sending me new pads for just the cost of shipping so far and with one of their English speaking reps quitting GPD and all English communication falling on their one rep everything is sloooooooow.

The Chinese announcement mentioned a new Guozi film

Which apparently are the name of these.
So they either changed the little clicky popper thing or judging by google results they stuffed some Chinese movie in the keyboard.
I've been trying to get a new keyboard to compare but I've only got them to commit to sending me new pads for just the cost of shipping so far and with one of their English speaking reps quitting GPD and all English communication falling on their one rep everything is sloooooooow.

Which English speaking GPD rep quit? Kendy?

Where was that announced?

Karen.
She always responded quickly and all of a sudden:

She used to be active on the Win subreddit and is no longer there either.

Jeepers, how long was she there for, a month or 2.

You know, at some point , I thought Karen was just another alias for Kendy.

For some strange reason some of the bios config stuff in the new bios has a bug or something in it that it's not visible until you reset bios settings to default. But after you do that all options are accessible until you exit so you can change the settings that are "hidden"
Did not work for me (tried both "normal/general" and user configuration)

So basically, the big thing is the DPad silicon-mat. And here's the good news:
Anyone who bought a unit at my shop will get the new silicon mat for free, if he wants to.
Just send me a mail with your order number or name (shop@dragonbox.de)

And if you send us your unit, we'll modify it for free (except for shipping costs when living outside of Germany). However, if you're fine with your DPad, there's no need to do that.
I haven't used the new mat yet, so I have no idea if it's really better or not.
Do you get paid by GPD to do this, or is this "just" customer-service ?

I doubt they will change that much in a "product polishing" - step"(rather drastic pcb layout and a mold change ).

The not centered keyboard does not bother me that much, the things I really would like have reworked are the postions for [START] and [SELECT] - having them in a block is quite unconvenient in stressing gaming situation (theoretically also for [L3] and [R3] but I never need use them). And I miss a backlit keyboard - due to the formfactor I use the WIN often times in situations where I can't really see the keys - angling the screen to shine some light on it helps but it isn't a good solution at all.

Has anyone had trouble charging their GPD Win? It's holding a charge well, but recharging takes far too long. Today, I've had it plugged in for hours and the charge has risen only 10%. This has been an ongoing issue over the past couple weeks. I'm using the charger that came with the device, and I've tried charging it in multiple outlets. Could a Windows update somehow be responsible? I've had the device since November and this issue only started recently.

Also, does the device have to be on to charge it? If I plug it in when the device is off, it won't charge at all.

Thanks.

Has anyone had trouble charging their GPD Win? It's holding a charge well, but recharging takes far too long. Today, I've had it plugged in for hours and the charge has risen only 10%. This has been an ongoing issue over the past couple weeks. I'm using the charger that came with the device, and I've tried charging it in multiple outlets. Could a Windows update somehow be responsible? I've had the device since November and this issue only started recently.

Also, does the device have to be on to charge it? If I plug it in when the device is off, it won't charge at all.

Thanks.

It takes forever in Windows for me as well with the charger that came with it.

I have tried using the stock charger from a HP tablet which caused the GPD Win BIOS charging screen to print "Fast Charging".

And then the GPD Win does charge really fast but it also get hot, terrifyingly hot. Even when the battery was already at 100%.
I wouldn't leave it plugged into a charger unattended.

The GPD stock charger is 2.5A 5V, IIRC the HP charger I used is 5A 5V / 3A 12V / 3A 15V (USB-C chargers are told by the device what voltage to use)

Has anybody an idea about the colors of the led? I bought a usb 3 C hub with 2 C and 2 A ports, as i habe a thumb drive on the A port and want to use other usb devices on the C port while charging. As long as the hub is plugged in, in shows purple light. And i habe absolutely no idea, what it means.

But as i see now, it now seems to have issues with shutdown...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk

Update....

After working 3 hours with usb c hub and battery save option enabled on task symbol, until 80 percent battery, the device seemd to not shutdown or reboot, but going to sleep mode, with sometimes awake after several minutes. After 10 or more tries i let it sit for a few hours, because i fell asleep. After waking up and giving it another try, it won't boot. Panic arose.

Connected usb hub, charger and got a purple led. As one thread stated, red is loading in active mode, blue is sleep/booting, purple is charging while sleeping.

Without hub, it charged a few minutes, led went of. Device boots again.

Then with hub connected, it not even loads. I think the completely new usb c hub is crap. And the device did go to sleep, instead of rebooting, because the battery was low, although it stated otherwise.

I will have to get the hub back ubd buy one from Amazon, which definitely says, that it has a c port for loading.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk

Back