GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Frankly, the Pyra's specs (2 SD, 1 uSD, eMMC, 3 USB, HDMI, backlit keyboard, WiFi, BT, 4G, 6Ah, etc) works better for me regardless of ARM or X86. The bits that would be missing from the GPD device are all pieces that I intend to use extensively.
+1 Especially the 3 SD cards and 4G

We didn't choose x86 because we'd have to create our own bios. That's the main reason I think.

The OMAP5 won't be that good with x86 as the CherryTrail, especially games. It's too old.
But if we could get a real good Cortex A72 then it might no be a huge difference.

In the end it all comes down to sales numbers. Enough sale = enough money = paid developers, more attention from the big ones.

The GPD WIN will be about the same size as the GPD XD as shown in the 3D print photos below:

d17d7aa4462309f7d6bf6065750e0cf3d6cad6a9.jpg
3166a9deb48f8c540a3407583d292df5e1fe7f9e.jpg

1c3500afa40f4bfb07785323044f78f0f63618d1.jpg

In previous conversations on this, well over a year ago, two of the most resounding reasons for NOT considering an X86 (then Bay Trail) SoC were that we wanted to preserve the PND system and everything that was already compiled AND that Notaz stated he would not participate in the project if it was not on ARM. PND is getting replaced anyway. Notaz, though still involved, has publicly stated that life's twists and turns has left him with inadequate time to do everything he would like.

x86 is usually more power hungry, and more expensive than ARM, so those were probably part of the reason

You know that the GPD keyboard can't possibly be as good as the Pyra keyboard will be though...

The Pyra keyboard was designed by committee. I'm not sure that it can even be "good".

D.

Looks fairly larger than the Pandora.

Looks indeed very 7 Inch-ish. if the build quality is as good as the (mockup/rendering) images suggest, it could be an interesting Handheld, no problem with windows there. Alt least an mobile OS that will get regular updates, unlike other mobile OS. ;)

Assessing scale off a badly photoshopped image is probably not such a good idea. ;)

So does that make it bigger than or the same size as a Pyra?

The GPD XD is 155 x 89 x 24mm. The GPD WIN looks like it will be 155 x 94 x 24mm

The Pyra is 140 x 84 x 29 mm

So the GPD WIN will be 15mm wider, 10mm deeper and 5mm thinner than the Pyra

Here's the chinese GPD designer holding a 3D print model of the GPD WIN

It's still early days, and they are still taking input from the community which wants changes to the keyboard, like the removal of the right columns of keys etc.

1936fb8b87d6277fbfaef04f2f381f30e824fcc5.jpg
52883681800a19d80bfa467234fa828ba71e4680.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose, to answer this question, two other questions need to be answered :
Does Allwiner sell SoCs per batches of thousands ?
Does Allwiner support something else than Android ? (read: Is the kernel source available and is it actually possible to build it without blobs ?)

I suppose, to answer this question, two other questions need to be answered :
Does Allwiner sell SoCs per batches of thousands ?
Does Allwiner support something else than Android ? (read: Is the kernel source available and is it actually possible to build it without blobs ?)

The A80 supports Lubuntu and remix os as well afaik, i guess we have no idea what it's successor will support

Does Allwiner sell SoCs per batches of thousands ? I assume so

The A80 supports Lubuntu and remix os as well afaik, i guess we have no idea what it's successor will support
Well it may support it, but if it's just using hacked together drivers using Android blobs is the bigger question. And how easily can these drivers be updated to a newer Linux kernel versions.

Did Allwinner have a chip that would be a decent fit for the Pyra while the Pyra was being developed? If so, ED will have talked to them, and asked if they'd supply thousands of chips to him rather than millions. Unless there was some other problem, like NVidia's insistence that you let them design your system for you, the answer was probably no.

Would one of the AMD's server SoCs make more sense in that case? They should have more support unless AMD goes out of business

Would one of the AMD's server SoCs make more sense in that case? They should have more support unless AMD goes out of business

They're a poor fit for a mobile application. Their TDP is way too high, they have features that are probably useless like 10GbE and PCI-E v3, and they're missing very important features like an integrated GPU and video decode. And at $150 a pop they cost much more than a proper mobile SoC will.

Honestly they don't look very good compared to other server offerings either.

Interesting device. Unfortunately, it isn't for me, because AFAIK Z85XX CPUs are not GNU/Linux friendly. I know it because about a month ago I wanted to buy a 10" tablet with one of these SoCs to use it as a GNU/Linux machine. I started searching Linux forums to see how it runs on these devices, and found that although most (if not all) of these tablets allow disabling Secure Boot and installing other OSs, there are tons of problems installing Linux: problems with buggy UEFI implementations, 32/64 bit UEFI binaries compatibility problems and non available Linux drivers for these SoCs mainly. Finally I discarded buying one of these tablets and went by the safe route: I bought a laptop with an Atom N2940 SoC, that is not as good as the Z85XX ones, but is good enough and works flawlessly with GNU/Linux.

Interesting device. Unfortunately, it isn't for me, because AFAIK Z85XX CPUs are not GNU/Linux friendly. I know it because about a month ago I wanted to buy a 10" tablet with one of these SoCs to use it as a GNU/Linux machine. I started searching Linux forums to see how it runs on these devices, and found that although most (if not all) of these tablets allow disabling Secure Boot and installing other OSs, there are tons of problems installing Linux: problems with buggy UEFI implementations, 32/64 bit UEFI binaries compatibility problems and non available Linux drivers for these SoCs mainly. Finally I discarded buying one of these tablets and went by the safe route: I bought a laptop with an Atom N2940 SoC, that is not as good as the Z85XX ones, but is good enough and works flawlessly with GNU/Linux.

I'm still really curious to see how well it runs with virtualization. There'd be a performance hit, but for what I'd be interesting in doing in Linux that may be a somewhat acceptable tradeoff. Are you interested in doing any tests on your laptop? It's not the same as the SoC this is using but I expect it to be pretty similar in this regard.

Back