GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

think we're saying the same thing ED, I was just saying that since everything is ran in GPU on android, the fact it's one way or the other probably doesn't matter much performance wise because the whole system is effected basically the same. But when compared to directFB it costs a bunch as we both said.

I was reading a thread where a guy was comparing latency frames in a GBA emulator on multiple platforms and tracking input to output and the pandora is 5 frames of delay where the average android is 7 frames and native non emulated being 3 frames. From using android devices myself there doesn't appear to be any significant increase running in portrait over landscape YMMV. But clearly there's a benefit of not using GLES for the purists out there. While the hit isn't as significant as doing everything in CPU it seems, I would agree running everything in GPU effects battery as well as the added bit of latency.

That's actually the smaller issue. The bigger one is: A lot of code change would be needed!
Android was always like that, so all apps have been written for that.
For Linux, a lot would need to be rewritten. Not just a base desktop system (and just see how long Wayland actually took to come as far as they are now) but many many apps as well.
If you have such a graphic stack like on Android, the programs need to be changed to use it as well.

So my guess it you will not be able to run Linux on the GPD device for anything else than desktop usage. i know, that's not a showstopper.

However, I'm not sure how it works on Windows. Maybe older games will have issues as well...?

Depends. If the intel drivers support screen rotation (which I'm pretty sure they do) it can all happen transparently to all layers of the software stack.

So what rotation method does the GPD use at the end?
Now that I recieved the GPD Newsletter, I must say, neat looking devices ( GPD XD). If the real ones look as smooth as the ones on the (rendered?) images, I would like to see these surface finish for the Pyra too. :) Not badfor a "China device", even if it looks like an 3DS without 2. screen. I could see a tiny keyboard or touchpad there, because it looks so empty. ^^

The existing ones use Android, so they simply use the Android stack.
Nothing is known about the Win10 one, it's only an early concept.

GPD have announced some more details for the upcoming GPD WIN

Name: GPD WIN
CPU:Intel Atom X5 Z8500(probably the Z8550) ;Quad-core processor/Quad threading ;64 bit Instruction set ;14 nm Process technology.
Storage: 4GB/64GB
Operating System:Windows 10 Home.
Display:Capacitance screen, multi-touch support;5.5 Inch ;1280×720 resolution;Corning Gorilla Glass 3, In-Cell technology.
I/O port: 1×USB Type-C,1×USB(A) 3.0 ,HDMI D Type (Micro HDMI) ,3.5mm Headset jack, TF card Maximum up to 128GB
Network: WIFI and bluetooth are both support.
Battery: 6000mAh

Last edited:
oh cool full sized USB

... and micro HDMI... well I guess it's something

in-cell is like the "laminated" displays on the iphone, if you ever notice there's less/no visible gap between the touch surface and the image, so that's pretty neat.

5.5 inch display, so pretty close to the pyra in form factor as well (i've heard people say it might be a 7+ inch device)

heres just some video I found on gaming on a z8500 with temps etc

Hmm, I'm still not a fan of capacitive screens (I hate them, to be honest, never seen a proper working one... one raindrop outside and it suddenly reacts to totally wrong areas), and without a capacitive pen, it'll be nearly impossible hitting small buttons in games (and they WILL be small, as they're mostly based for 15" and
bigger screens).
It might also make it harder to use Linux with it.

I don't care about looks when it cripples the device a bit for me.

Hopefully, the analogue controls can be used as mouse as well.

The rest sounds good (except maybe the name :D)

I've got an HDMI stick PC with Intel Atom Z3735F. A few low-end games ran quite well, while others like FTL were pretty much unplayable. The lack of optimization in some games is quite the pity. And running those passively cooled sticks on turbo clock makes 'em cook after a short while. I'd still love to bring my rogueish Windows games with me everywhere. FTL or Teleglitch on the go? Hell yes.

Any handheld running Windows 10 though would exist in constant danger, at least in my hands. I can totally see me pulverizing it against a wall if it gave me that "Start and Cortana have stopped working" error. It's a good thing my gaming PC is too heavy for that.

I've got an HDMI stick PC with Intel Atom Z3735F. A few low-end games ran quite well, while others like FTL were pretty much unplayable. The lack of optimization in some games is quite the pity. And running those passively cooled sticks on turbo clock makes 'em cook after a short while. I'd still love to bring my rogueish Windows games with me everywhere. FTL or Teleglitch on the go? Hell yes.

Any handheld running Windows 10 though would exist in constant danger, at least in my hands. I can totally see me pulverizing it against a wall if it gave me that "Start and Cortana have stopped working" error. It's a good thing my gaming PC is too heavy for that.
FTL has a Linux release - so in theory, it might be possible to play on the Pyra with Exagear (though I can't remember what FTL's crazy resolution requirement is off-hand)

But yeah, if I could play FTL and Convoy on the go, I'd be pretty chuffed too :)

Has anybody seen this? The chinese manufaturer GPD announced a handheld device with similar controls with keyboard based on the x86 version of windows 10 mobile. Would this lead to problems regarding the pyra? For example with patens regarding the design? Whats your opinon?

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...elease-an-x86-console-palmtop-computer.76762/
Generally positive opinions, the more the merrier. It'll be an interesting race to see if they can pull it off in a short amount of time, and how much it'll cost. There will be some competition but arguably if there are two competing brands it can drive advertising and we may end up with more total interest, a smaller slice of a much larger pie.
And with GPD being a Chinese company and DragonBox being German I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any legal issues either way.

What keeps me away for now is that it is coming from China (I don't want to support underpaying and exploitihg the workers) and with Windows (I don't want to support Microsoft, even indirectly, since I feel they are a largely negative and destructive force ). I also like supporting small businesses, although I suppose GPD may fall into that category as well.

I will keep following news on it since I love palmtops, and we shall see what happens.

Well, I am the german distributor of GPD, so I will stock this one as well.
Quality-wise.... humm... I'd expect it not to be perfect, but as long as I don't have a finished Pyra I can't claim that as well :)

I received the GPD XDs and while the devices are neat, there are stillt the typical issues I've seen with many chinese devices on those: Fingerprints on the display (looks preowned), quality is okay, but the plastic looks cheap and I also found a unit with a horribly squeaking hinge already with occassional pick and testing units.

So I expect them to be okay, quite nice for the price, but I'm aiming to be a lot better with the Pyra.

Yes, the SoC might be better, but my next goal after the Pyra has been released is looking into SoC upgrades :)

They want to let it build in license from big companies. Couldnt they forbid the use of the keyboard/ controller layout like samsung and apple argue over smaller similarities?

Perhaps it could make the pyra more public if it would be mentioned in articles about the gpd product.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk

Well, I am the german distributor of GPD, so I will stock this one as well.
Quality-wise.... humm... I'd expect it not to be perfect, but as long as I don't have a finished Pyra I can't claim that as well :)

I received the GPD XDs and while the devices are neat, there are stillt the typical issues I've seen with many chinese devices on those: Fingerprints on the display (looks preowned), quality is okay, but the plastic looks cheap and I also found a unit with a horribly squeaking hinge already with occassional pick and testing units.

So I expect them to be okay, quite nice for the price, but I'm aiming to be a lot better with the Pyra.

Yes, the SoC might be better, but my next goal after the Pyra has been released is looking into SoC upgrades :)
Everything except for the quality issues is great news. I am glad you were finally able to get in contact with GPD. Really looking forward to the SoC upgrade already, not that I feel the Pyra Mark 1 won't be completely capable of fulfilling many needs for me.

I knew i read the name gpd before
I am glad to hear that it will be no problem. And it might be interesting to have both side by side. But i am way more exited for the pyra than a win device, since i opted to not use win when its possible and i like the open source character of the pandy and the pyra

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk

Back