GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

You can get 256GB microSD cards, and I've never heard of non-power-of-two card sizes.

Do you have a link to one of those 256GB uSD cards?. I just came from a thread on another forum where they were talking about how 200GB is the max you can get uSD cards. And that was only released last year
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...rd-is-not-much-use-to-samsung-galaxy-s6-users <- World's largest capacity uSD card announced in march last year

There has been talk of this 512GB beast, but I don't think it's released yet (keeps getting delayed). http://www.cnet.com/au/news/microdia-will-sell-a-1000-ish-512gb-microsd-come-july/

Either way, I haven't come across a 256GB uSD card. Well, not unless it was fake as one Dingoonity member just recently bought.

Last edited:
@EvilDragon might want to mention that the Pyra will have 5GHz on the specs page.

Yes, I'm planning a major overhaul of the page during the next week.
I'm currently on my way to ski holidays, so I got plenty time in the late afternoons / evening to do that.

Now I'll prepare a newspost for the boards - I'm typing them on the Pyra :D

I love it! Pyra news update from the Pyra. Maybe we can throw together an update to that page so you can have some time off on your holiday instead of working on things like that (I know, if you don't do it who will).

Enjoy your holiday. Spend some time relaxing and having fun.

Something like this?
It's a good start, I still think that Gpd Win (and Neo 900) have nothing to do in the official Pyra wiki page, the fact that it is on Pyra official wiki page do
Something like this?
smacks of desperation and a knee-jerk reaction to competition.
[/QUOTE]
People will see it as an official recognition of gpd win as something worthy to worry about. While if it's made by a ramdom a guy of the community it will be perceived as an isolated action of community member(s) who <Pyra is better. Which doesn't mean a thing about Pyra's team position about gpd win, Pyra's team which should be worried about the Pyra developpementand not a ramdom new look-alike product.
The

5 ghz is the Wifi??
Sounds great as long the module also supports the old Wifi standart..
Looking forward for the Newspost
Also its cool you use the Pyra to whrite it..

5 ghz is the Wifi??
Sounds great as long the module also supports the old Wifi standart..
2.4 and 5. ED discussed it here and other people in the thread were saying that it would be useful (and a few said it was crucial, I think).

2.4 and 5. ED discussed it here and other people in the thread were saying that it would be useful (and a few said it was crucial, I think).

After reading the comments in the discussion I think it is indeed worth the additional 10 Euro

Something like this?
There is too much, unorganized informations + three color are too much especially combined with too much (pointless) devices (Neo 900 and Pandora) for a clear comparison. There is nonsense like "Keyboard layout = good", key number is misleading because Pyra have less keys but more with modifiers. Tried to edit but can't make it as organized as I'd want (assuming that it's possible) so i dropped it.

It's a good start, I still think that Gpd Win (and Neo 900) have nothing to do in the official Pyra wiki page, the fact that it is on Pyra official wiki page do
smacks of desperation and a knee-jerk reaction to competition.
People will see it as an official recognition of gpd win as something worthy to worry about. While if it's made by a ramdom a guy of the community it will be perceived as an isolated action of community member(s) maybe zealous ones who want to prove that Pyra is better. Which doesn't mean a thing about Pyra's team position about gpd win (Pyra's team which should be worried about the Pyra developement and not a weak copy of their project) therefore Pyra itself.

So at this state it isn't much productive and can be counterproductive, unless for people who aren't much influenced by appearence and like to read closely, who aren't numerous.

Last edited:
I don't think the Keyboard Layout line is nonsense at all. It's one of the more important items that needs pointing out.

The layout of the WIN has been panned by pretty much everyone because the keyboard is badly offset to the left, so much so that you will pretty much be typing with your left thumb almost entirely

3fcWwao.jpg

I meant "good" is a nonsense because it mean nothing , I'd see that type of informations in a non green/red schema. Maybe something like another table named "Confirmed and potential issues identified",
__________________Pyra _____________Gpd Win__________________
Keyboard:
Touchscreen:
Heat:
Red for confirmed (when the problem is confirmed and there is no corrections planned), orange for potential, empty for nothing. With explanations of the issue and corrections planned.

Last edited:
I don't think the Keyboard Layout line is nonsense at all. It's one of the more important items that needs pointing out.

True. The Pyra one has turned out well, as I can now say after typing a looong newspost on it (which will be put online in a few minutes).

The layout of the WIN has been panned by pretty much everyone because the keyboard is badly offset to the left, so much so that you will pretty much be typing with your left thumb almost entirely

3fcWwao.jpg

Well, left-typing is not that much of an issue... it's weird, but it can be done.
It's more worrying for me that most people can't reach H,J and K with their thumb (tested using a dummy with multiple users).

Shift is on both sides, so that's okay, but Fn is only on the left side, so F1 - F7 will be awkward to type.

One thing just struck me: Where is the INS key? Did they forget that one?

They left out a number of keys like Ins, Home, End etc.

They had initially omitted Pg Up, Pg Dn and Print scrn also, but these where added after I pointed their ommission out. Strangely though, I had pointed out the others also, but they didn't get added. I also recommended Pg Up, Pg Dn , Home and End be put on the arrow keys under Fn - just like they are with a number of laptops. But instead Pg Up and Pg Dwn got put in the right column of keys - and as mentioned Home and End didn't get added anywhere.

As for typing with your left thumb, yes it's super weird when you try it. And yes it can be done. But thats not the core issue. The issue is that you are typing with one thumb so that type speed is reduced dramatically.'
I guess that rather than doing that, people will adopt a stretched grip with their right hand so they can type evenly between thumbs. But this would be a bit awkward i'd imagine

Last edited:
They left out a number of keys like Ins, Home, End etc.

They had initially omitted Pg Up, Pg Dn and Print scrn also, but these where added after I pointed their ommission out. Strangely though, I had pointed out the others also, but they didn't get added. I also recommended Pg Up, Pg Dn , Home and End be put on the arrow keys under Fn - just like they are with a number of laptops. But instead Pg Up and Pg Dwn got put in the right column of keys - and as mentioned Home and End didn't get added anywhere.

Oh, you're right. It really seems to be focused on gaming than, as Home and End are essential keys when using an editor (at least for me :))

As for typing with your left thumb, yes it's super weird when you try it. And yes it can be done. But thats not the core issue. The issue is that you are typing with one thumb so that type speed is reduced dramatically.'

Oh, right... didn't even think about that.

I wonder why they didn't put the right hand function buttons in the center in between the nubs, it#s more than enough space there. This way they could have spread the main keyboard comfortably to the right edge and split it in the middle (idea of a split keyboard is growing on me).

When I compare the Pyra (and much of the same could be said of the pandora) to various other products that might be considered similar, i see the following:

• The Pyra runs an OS I actually get on with. I find Windows intensely irritating in hundreds of little ways, and can't stand the dumbed-down-ness of most smartphone UIs
  • The Pyra is produced by an organisation that cares about users. Neither ED nor anyone else around here is likely to sell my details to advertisers, nor deliberately weaken software to encourage me to upgrade.
  • The Pyra has a keyboard. A remarkably good keyboard. Probably one of the best its possible to make for a device that size. Debated to perfection by an army of armchair pedants!
  • The Pyra has a matte resistive touchscreen. I don't want to waste screen space on giant buttons, nor do I want to see a reflection of the room lights in the screen.
  • The Pyra has extensive support for peripherals (USB, SD-cards). this reduces the number of adaptors I have to carry around and makes it far more useful when it's not living in my pocket.
  • The Pyra has a huge battery, combined with relatively power-efficient software. Its absurd how many people I see scrabbling for a phone charger halfway through the day.
  • The Pyra is hacker-friendly. Writing your own software is convenient. You can talk to the devs who organised things. Unbrickable bootloader. No "warranty void if sticker removed" rubbish.
  • The Pyra has a longer product life cycle than most modern electronic goods. Combined with an upgradable processor module. If The Pandora is anything to go by, the Pyra will be supported for at least 8 years. That reduces long term cost, as well as environmental impact.
  • The Pyra is made in Europe. By workers paid a decent wage in decent conditions.
  • I really like being able to read about the development process from start to finish.
I've probably forgotten a few things there, and I dare-say some people will disagree with me. There's nothing worse than people buying a product that they are later dissatisfied with, as a result of misleading marketing.

"Simultaneous use of mouse and all other controls" This seems somewhat disingenuous to me. The Pandora and Pyra have to switch between mouse and joystick modes too. As far as I can tell the main difference is that on the Pandora and Pyra the switching is done in software, rather than in hardware. They certainly can't be used in both modes simultaneously.

I also think it somewhat misleading to list the USB A (+ eSata with adapter) port as being a USB3 port in the table. That it's using a physical USB3 port is a technicality. And yes I saw the note, but that's called hiding stuff in the fine print and it doesn't leave a good impression. The last thing we want is for people to buy the Pyra due to false expectations and then pan it when it doesn't meet them.

-Neelix

Does the GPD Win let you use the keyboard when you're using the nubs in joystick mode? I always assumed that table entry was trying to refer to something related to that, but I'm not sure.

Does the GPD Win let you use the keyboard when you're using the nubs in joystick mode? I always assumed that table entry was trying to refer to something related to that, but I'm not sure.
I'd be very surprised if any controls were actually disabled. At most I would expect the mapping of the gaming controls to change.
Is there any real information from GPD about how this will work?

-Neelix

Back