GPD WIN 3

There are other costs to take into account such as the R&D, the software development, the QA, etc.
Even for the manufacturing cost itself, it can get complex: the cost for making a single chip can be low, but if you need to retool all your factories to make them e it'll actually be more costly. It also depends on your quality: if only 50% of your chips are good enough to pass QA, your actual cost will be twice the cost of a single chip.
Sure, the high costs of the Tiger Lake may reflect the poor yield of Intels 10nm process. They still have trouble to get this working afaik.

The device would be locked to Apple software.
It had no SD-card slot and a single USC-C port.
It would cost 1500€ or more.
Dock would cost 200€.

No, thanks.
True. But imagine someone "not Apple" could get it's hands onto the M1. Think about the possibilities! ;)

Since it's my first post - hello everybody!

As much as I like GPD Win line (I personally own GPD Win and GPD Win 2), recent iterations of the device (GPD Win Max and announced GPD Win 3) have prices way beyond my possibilities.

Eh, I guess that they're a bit of "luxury" product (looking for the specs and price). Not telling they're not worth this price (or that price is not justified), just that I can't afford it. Despite that fact, I still consider those windows-based handhelds as the best thing you can have in terms of playing "on the go" (I'm still using my first GPD Win and I've finished plenty of great games on this device, mostly from my GOG library, but not only).

True. But imagine someone "not Apple" could get it's hands onto the M1. Think about the possibilities! ;)
How. Apple as far as I know haven't bought any founadaries, at least not any that are making 5nm bits and pieces. That means they need to sign a contract with a public foundary, pay them, send them the blueprints and let the go and make the parts. There's a possibility of corporate espionage to get those blueprints out, but I doubt anyone with a position to maintain would touch parts made from those with a large bargepole.

How. Apple as far as I know haven't bought any founadaries, at least not any that are making 5nm bits and pieces. That means they need to sign a contract with a public foundary, pay them, send them the blueprints and let the go and make the parts. There's a possibility of corporate espionage to get those blueprints out, but I doubt anyone with a position to maintain would touch parts made from those with a large bargepole.
I did not thought about illegal espionage stuff or anything like that. But it would be great if there is a affordable and public available ARM based SoC chip with comparable power like Apples recent M1. Even half that power would be great in an Handheld device, right? ^^

It might make competitors sit up a take notice, that apple have got this kind of performance out using ARM silicon and software tweaks. But traditionally, whatever apple does only really affects apple users and I've not grokked apple's previous silicon as pushing competitors but maybe that's been pushing what qualcomm have been doing, and I've just never put two and two together yet.

And review from Liliputing.

The keyboard seems to be even poorer than VAIO UX ....

....It’s possible that GPD could improve the typing experience somewhat through software or firmware updates. But without switching to physical keys that actually move, there’s only so much the company can do to make typing on the Win 3 comfortable. It’s clearly a device that was not designed for entering a lot of text or playing games that require keyboard and mouse input. ,,,,,

To be honest, I don't care about the keyboard quality.
As long as it's there it is enough for a gaming device.

I'm reeeealllly tempted to by the IGG early bird for 780€.
On the other side, I don't like the idea of not buying from DragonBox ...
But then I have to wait longer :'(
Such a hard decision to make.

But imagine, how many "when is it finally finished", "this project is a scam", "The Pyra's 3D acceleration is broken! I want my money back!" users we would get in our community
Depends on how more money would have speed up the entire Pyra production, I guess. ^^"
Weird thing is, GPD actualy doesn't even need a crowdfunding campaign to fund their products. They just doing it anyways. But they are smart enough to start the campaign only after the devices are already developed. One way to prevent rage people.

I will - as soon as GPD tell me prices and availability.
Due to the global parts shortage they don't know the final price and how fast they can get the parts for retail units.

I ordered one from Indiegogo.
My first GPD product.
I'm a little pissed I missed the real campaign by one day and only get the second batch.
However that might be a good thing and I they fix all the first batch issues for my unit.

Back