GPD Pocket

I think PowerGod was wondering why you've picked the GPDPocket for your device of choice, when a Raspberry Pi is a 10th of the price, and runs exactly the same (or close enough). Or if you're still thinking a handheld, why not a GPDWin - which actually has gaming controls

I had the gpd pocket a while ago just trying to make some use from it it has a duelboot setup windows 10/linux ubuntu 17.10 a very versatile machine for on the go.

Last edited:
Yeah, agreed. There are some upgrades that would be very welcome - backlit keys, Yoga-style hinge etc. But a weaker CPU and battery shut this one down for me.

Shame when they were remoulding to add on the additional ports, they didn't look at fixing the keyboard layout.
Interestingly, this device charges from MicroUSB rather than the Type-C, judging by that powerbank graphic.

I must admit, I am looking forward to seeing the GPD Pocket 2 if and when they make one. Hopefully they'll include some of these changes (having the inbuilt TF card slot would be nice for me)

Same price as the pocket with a convertible henge and 8350 but otherwise the same specs? They say it will go up $200 in 2 days?
Completely not worth it at that "normal" price and really why the 8350 not 8500/8550? A 7" convertible sounds interesting but I wouldn't pay $500 for it.

I think there trackpoint looks broken, its some sort of touch sensor or something. I wonder if it will work with gloves like the trackpoint on my thinkpad.
This may be a rarely used feature on any normal laptop, but for a handheld type device its quite use full.

I hate it if i have to take of my gloves, to change a song or reply to a message in winter

Shame when they were remoulding to add on the additional ports, they didn't look at fixing the keyboard layout.
Interestingly, this device charges from MicroUSB rather than the Type-C, judging by that powerbank graphic.

These are both pretty notable flaws in this device, imo. USB-C is able to accept power at a much faster rate but I suppose with the lower-power processor, it might not be as necessary to quick charge.

The keyboard on the GPD Pocket is so atrocious though. Although I would be curious to see if there is anyone who has used both the Pocket and the Gemini. Both have their compromises. I think the Pocket's are worse but I have never used one.

convertible henge

7588305442_48693a2fb2_z.jpg

sorry ;)

These are both pretty notable flaws in this device, imo. USB-C is able to accept power at a much faster rate but I suppose with the lower-power processor, it might not be as necessary to quick charge.
A 2 Amp microUSB port can barely keep up with an Atom processor. Hence the Microsoft Surface 3 had a proprietary microUSB that powers at over 2 Amps, and GPD went USB-C.

Yeah, agreed. There are some upgrades that would be very welcome - backlit keys, Yoga-style hinge etc. But a weaker CPU and battery shut this one down for me.

Well it looks like GPD are annoyed, they are contemplating legal action

so far they have some renders and photoshopped images ... long, long way to a finished and useable product

someone had one of these btw. : https://www.slashgear.com/umid-mbook-m2-debuts-faster-cpu-499-in-q4-video-2257507/ ? (like almost a decade ago ...)

stumbled onto that one while searching for something completly different ... the idea with an optical mouse and the mousebuttons to the side of the screen is new to me and looks quite interesting

Oh wow, really? This could get to be quite fun...

Yes, Wade the co-owner of GPD was on the GPD Discord channel last night. I brought up the Mix Yoga. He said they were looking to take legal action. He wasn't happy about it

I bet he wasn't.

Also, the listed CPU can't make use of 8GB of RAM, only 2GB... It's also spec'd as only supporting 1920x1080 (though that's via HDMI so not sure if that will be a problem).

I bet he wasn't.

Also, the listed CPU can't make use of 8GB of RAM, only 2GB... It's also spec'd as only supporting 1920x1080 (though that's via HDMI so not sure if that will be a problem).
The Intel spec sheets "Max Memory" is often BS.

I see GearBest is also selling the "One Netbook One Mix" device - though I'm not sure which bit is the company name, and which bit is the device name :) Did anything follow with the legal threat?
https://www.gearbest.com/promotion-One-Netbook-Laptop-special-2489.html

It's really odd to me, because it's not like they're just reusing the moulds for the Pocket, as they've moved the trackpad etc. so why would you have made it look so similar when you were already making changes

Back