GPD Pocket

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
GPD recently announced that they are contemplating launching a pure UMPC (no gaming controls) later this year and have asked the Dingoonity community for feedback on their initial rendors, specs etc. So if your interested and want to provide input - and it does need tweeking, especially the keyboard layout and power/back space positions. , the thread they started is here:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/what-do-you-think-of-this-new-7-inch-laptop/30/

Basically, they are looking to put together a product they have named GPD Pocket. The plan so far is for it to be a 7" UMPC running Win 10 or Ubuntu. It is planned to have a Intel Z8700 SOC, 4GB Ram, 128GB emmc and a 7" 1080p screen, Gorilla glass 3, 7000mAH battery, Aluminum body etc

Here are some photos:

gpdpocket_00.jpg

gpdpocke_02.jpg

gpdpocket_01.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa. Looks pretty nice. I'll be interested if the support Ubuntu (or some other Linux). Although, not sure I'd rule it out if it had Windows.

Edit: Hmmm 7", I read UMPC, but yeah, 7" is more netbook size...

Last edited:
The size and whether it is pocketable has been a point of discussion since they posted it. GPD are adament it will be pocketable even going as far as posting pictures of their early model of it in someones pocket. I'm still not totally convinced 100%

The design is very fluid. I pointed out a number of issues with the keyboard layout 20 minutes ago, and GPD have just changed it to address those issues in the last 5 minutes. So it's really early days and very fluid

They say it will be available with either (I think that's a choice) of Windows 10 or Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

The trackpoint location could improve. I'd want my thumb to rest on the left pointer button, index finger on the trackpoint. That's a relaxed position.
trackpoint_hand.png

Wanted to upload an actual photo but my android phone doesn't want to talk to my debian laptop.

icantyping.gif

Trackpointer in the wrong place.
No international keyboard for a majority international audience, on a type-only device.
Which also means no full symbol numberrow or F-key row.
Headphonejack on the wrong side of the case
Zero sunvisor on glossy screen means catering for inside use in the dark.
Slimness over batterylife.
Spying hardware

Could sell a few of these if they go with ubuntu and actually listen this time around.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology#Hardware

If not on both sides, headphones have the cable on the left.
Putting the port on the right, the cable has to cross over.

So you can either route it all the way around the back. Which in this case, why wasnt it in the back to begin with, serving a better choice for docking. Well, that isnt an option here, as it would snag on the back of the screen lid, so

OR

You can have it be in the way of your left hand in the front, and in particular the right hand of right-handed individuals on the right.
Seeing as the cable of headphones is most often a straight-inflexible ordeal, this moves, even if angled, the mousing position arbitrarily to the right.
In turn increasing travel distance between keyboard and mouse for the right hand.

Quote from: wlin7730 on January 05, 2017, 06:21:50 AM
The reason to launch this product is that some handheld game players are also the fans of laptop, and they are very interested in this laptop which is easy to type and carry.

Playing games on chicklet keys?

Quote from: PowerLion1 on January 04, 2017, 08:48:55 PM
Also, thumbs sticks suck. That's why many laptops don't use them anymore and switched to a trackball, and now to touchpads.

This user has never used a laptop with a trackball. And does not understand that a trackpad is cheaper to make than a trackpoint.

It is like praising apple for doing away with the minijack. It is cheaper. Where would you even place a trackpad? For once GPD got something correct right away, even if it is in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Got it, good points. I just noticed my x60t has mic and hp on the right, too

That AMT stuff sounds like a really bad idea D:

Yeah, the trackpoint position seems to be a bit odd.
Trackpoins are meant to move the pointer without having the rearrange the fingers from the normal typing position. But to acheive this here, the closest thing in reach your are thumbs instead of your index fingers. And in this case, the thumbs would be in a pretty uncomfortable position. (I am assuming this device would'nt be suitable for thumptyping, as its probably to big. And even then the thumbs will have to move far too much downward to be comfortable)
At least having a trackpoint at all ist a good start.

That said, I would like to see a netbook with a real 7" form factor (other than a 7" display with a huge border around, so it is about the same size as a 9 to 10 inch device) and desktop linux support.
Maybe I missed some devices, but I don't remember a single one that has that two features. So this might be the first one.

Last edited:
FWIW found those two while browsing, Elitegroup T800 and a chinese Vaio P knockoff.
While the former reminds me of the Pocket design-wise, the latter is something I'd probably kill for if it had a hinge and built-in digitizer like the IBM X tablets. Total dream device.
Elitegroup_T800.jpg
Vaio_P_Clone.jpg

@erico thanks for the suggestion, alas don't have Wifi

Last edited:
Every 7 inch netbook I've seen has been large enough to have had a 9 inch screen so a real 7 inch netbook would be nice. Why use a z8700 in a device intended to run office and Internet? The z8500 would be fine for that and use less power/produce less heat.

I wonder how easy it will be to do repairs.
[doublepost=1483809803,1483809701][/doublepost]And maybe add a couple SD slots (I am sure you all know where that preference comes from).

Every 7 inch netbook I've seen has been large enough to have had a 9 inch screen so a real 7 inch netbook would be nice.

Indeed. I'm only concerned about the size of the keyboard in that case. I can adapt to a 9" keyboard in a netbook quite well, and at 4 inches and below I switch to thumb typing. This clearly isn't designed for handheld thumb typing, but I don't know if my fingers can cope with that density of keys yet.

Basically just a netbook, though the thin screen bezel might actually make it somewhat pocketable (jacket pocket or cargo pants perhaps).
That keyboard is a problem though, especially with that power button.
Plus without a fan, would I be correct in assuming that performance might be even worse than the Win?

The 10" eee 1000 or 1001 had a 92% sized key keyboard, and that worked just fine.

A full stretch ortholinear keyboard with a command button row in the middle would be sweeet.

Last edited:
Well it was briefly mentioned on Dingoonity but over on Tieba they are heavily touting Ubuntu on it more than anything else.
This is the world's first UMPC to support Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system!
This has almost deviated from the scope of the UMPC bar UMPC most models feature is to allow you to use handheld and typing.This stuff can only be used on the table and the same as the pen, at best close to the previous six or seven inches Of the Internet.

Pantsugrd : now on the market cheap 8300 small walled version is also very much about three hundred five hundred will be able to engage in basic units plus a Bluetooth keyboard holster can achieve the same effect and because of the lack of joystick and mode of operation of this product should be. Few people will be used to play the game, then use the price difference of 8700, then the price is very low if the price is not low if the GPD I am afraid that the competitiveness of worrying.
2017-1-8 00:17 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : Reply Pantsugrd : The main Linux users! First, the system open source, followed by open source software, gcc, gdb, emacs and other programming software can provide a good programming environment, install Chrome can also support Andriod games.
2017-1-8 00:26 Reply

Pantsugrd : Reply guerrillas sprayer : there will be a game console launch it?
2017-1-8 00:40 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : Reply Pantsugrd : not going out, but do not rule out this keyboard will shrink modified handle.
2017-1-8 02:21
Guerrillas sprayer : there are differences, first of all this product for geeks, Linux enthusiasts, mobile computing and mild office users. It is very small, very convenient to carry, and solve the input problem. Can replace the mainstream combo laptop and tablet. And then the two do not have portability.
2017-1-8 02:24 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : Then, based on improved WIN program before, the higher its program maturity, which means it does not WIN listed at the beginning of so many problems.
2017-1-8 02:26 Reply

Punish me : reply guerrillas sprayer: I'm talking about board and win .... typo
2017-1-8 02:28 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : And the heat, to brass heat, heat output of large diameter pipeline, a new fan.
2017-1-8 02:29 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : plus-one color aluminum CNC shell, appearance comparable MacBook Air. With the configuration, the performance and cost-effective certainly beyond the Surface 3.
Guerrillas sprayer : Reply bulging LF : That is quite! However, if the joystick, then the internal structure is equal to tear down again. But we do not want the name of WIN 2 in this mold based on the change, it will be buyers scolded. Coupled with the default resolution of 1920 * 1080, if you use it to play games, performance is certainly not as good as WIN.
2017-1-8 02:42 Reply

Bulging LF : Reply guerrillas sprayer: This mold is win2 generations, then really good. , A large number of people waiting for a generation of it
2017-1-8 02:50 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : Reply bulging LF : the WIN 2 will use a higher performance processor, rather than take Z8700 put forward such WIN Max, is expected to have to wait for next year
Is because gpd win with joystick button, only to attract me, you out of a play this easy, who recognize you this brand

Guerrillas sprayer : this does not matter, there is little notebook with Ubuntu system, not to mention such a small notebook Ubuntu, this product is definitely a geek circles and Linux users favorite, of course, we also offer Windows 10 firmware.
Guerrillas sprayer : will support Linux, the preferred 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, because mainstream desktop notebook, laptop or tablet combo rarely Linux support, but such a small notebook around the world were in developing our company. I have installed Windows in VMware with Ubuntu 14.10 LTS, running very smooth, mainly due to the speed of eMMC, plus Ubuntu itself on the memory requirements of Windows 10 is not high.
2017-1-8 02:47 Reply

andygraf : I was playing when GPD WIN sometimes want one-hand operation right mouse buttons, but GPD WIN can not do, and I feel the touch panel operation accurate positioning, speed may also be trying to control their own fingers glide speed, feel very free . You can also click on my hands, I personally feel that get hold of the touchpad very good.
2017-1-8 02:47 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : If fusion handles, which became one of the handheld. But if you do not use a higher performance processor, the player is not interested.
2017-1-8 02:48 Reply

Guerrillas sprayer : Reply andygraf : In addition, there are Steam client for Ubuntu developers, since the game is not entirely dependent on Steam handle keyboard can operate. So, do not worry about missing the handle can not play the game.
2017-1-8 02:51 Reply
Rather than a Windows device with the option of using Ubuntu this seems to be a Ubuntu device with the option of using Windows.

Back