GPD Pocket

I wonder what happened with the GPD Pocket Kickstarter ED talked about. Maybe it's still comming, though I do wonder if it's been canceled.

Good question :)
I had the campaign mostly finished at Kickstarter. Would've taken me about 2 - 3 more hours to have it finished and fully translated.
(Preview: )

I planned to launch it Monday 24th of April... but as I mentioned before, that was too slow for them, they wanted to start it immediately after the Indiegogo campaign finished... and therefore, they decided to use another partner.
What happened after that and what the status is right now... no idea.

They just seem to have added delay by switching partners.
But oh well, not my concern, though I would've loved to help them here. A Linux netbook is neat :)

I wonder if they didn't take into account the process for Kickstarter being longer. My understanding is that they are manually reviewing projects these days, either always or often.

For example when they submitted the Spectrum Next project, they had to wait a while only for KS to come back and request them to change some things. Once they did that , they resubmitted , more time goes by , and then finally they get a green light for it to go live. The entire process can take a while.

I know GPD will start the Chinese crowdfunding in 2 days time (the 4th) on JD.com. So ity seems they are doing the same three crowdfundings as the WIN ie Indiegogo, JD.com (China) and Makuake (Japan)

Kickstarter usually needs three days to evaluate.
With an existing prototype, there shouldn't be any problem.

I can't understand how so many people backed this.

It's too big for a pocket device and too small for day to day use. On this thing you have to type with 2 hands as opposed to thumbs and your hands will always be in cramped position. Am I missing an intense and emotional marketing campaign by some genius ad agency?

It kind of reminds me of an eeepc 701... I still have an love mine.

Kickstarter usually needs three days to evaluate.
With an existing prototype, there shouldn't be any problem.

That sounds like it comes from someone who has been doing some research about Kickstarter...

That sounds like it comes from someone who has been doing some research about Kickstarter...

Well, just read all news, conditions and helped start a Kickstarter project a week ago.
It only takes longer if you have something complicated or they don't believe there's a prototype.

Looks like the GPD Pocket has now over 10,000 backers from crowdfundings and still going

According to GPD, they will do two manufacturing bacthes of 10,000 (15 days seperating the batch runs) to cover crowdfunding backers and have some left for resellers

Spotted this pic of GPD at Japan It Week-> http://www.japan-it.jp/en/haru/
Tiny booth is tiny

DSC04682.JPG

If it is any good, yes.

I'm sceptical about Ubuntu though.
This sounds like it's basically the same hardware as the GPD Win (which would explain the short development time), and we all know how well Linux runs on the GPD Win...

As time has passed you seem quite taken with the Pocket ED. Any thoughts on whether you'll have some in stock?

Cheers.

edit - Multiquote didn't include my message from page 6.

Honestly, if you want a Linux gaming handheld, just get a Pandora or pyra, the main reasons to get a gpdwin is for windows gaming...

According to GPD's latest Indiegogo update today, they will be shipping GPD Pockets to backers starting early - mid June. So very soon.

They have 8,257 backers on Indiegogo

They also have an additional 4,400 backers from their Chinese and Japanese Crowdfundings which are still going

Just sold my GPD Win, as the build quality is rather sketchy. I don't think it will survive very long if you actually use it frequently.
Also the SD Slot had sometimes read/write issues on my unit, which makes you question the rest of the driver quality as well.

Just sold my GPD Win, as the build quality is rather sketchy. I don't think it will survive very long if you actually use it frequently.
Also the SD Slot had sometimes read/write issues on my unit, which makes you question the rest of the driver quality as well.

I've had my WIN for a while and find the build quality quite good and solid. No issues with mine.

I probably will sell mine as I ordered a Pocket. I don't need a pocket gaming machine. Think the Pocket will suit my needs better for a very portable computer.

So active cooling again although it is a metal casing? Kind of disappointing. The GPD Win is pretty loud on the highest setting, hope this fan is more silent

So active cooling again although it is a metal casing? Kind of disappointing. The GPD Win is pretty loud on the highest setting, hope this fan is more silent

The speaker is a lot bigger, so it should be more silent for the same cooling effect.

Back