GPD MicroPC

The M.2 2242 SSD card in the MicroPC can be swapped out by taking the bottom cover off.

Here is a pic of the M.2 2242 SSD in the MIcroPC

49949920_2228284850826102_8454264778506895360_n.jpg

Ask them for two micro SD slots and I might buy one.
That's still one of the major selling points for the Pyra for me.

As I was browsing Amazon, I came across the Pocket 2 budget edition that seems to be the Pocket, but with 4GB of ram and a lower end processor, which seemed to be aimed at a 'budget' configuration. Not sure what the advantages of it over the Pocket would be other than maybe cost. It seems like the Pocket 2 Budget edition may have been an alternate version of this unit as well.

Sold by 'GPD Lanruo' which I don't know much about, but if it's part of GPD it seems like there's a small range of GPD low-cost UMPC's that may be coming soon.

Some benchmarks, it appears to be a little better in some respects to my Pocket 1, mmmm......
That is getting more tempting with each video. Thanks!

Edit: I'd be interesting particularly now in battery life tests and fan noise tests, although I'm sure my current laptop would be making extreme fan noises playing a 3d game like that typing of the dead, so I guess it'd be an improvement on my current setup regardless. As I understand that fan switch, it's a three way switch suggesting full off, full on and auto modes.

Last edited:
Looks pretty compact at the inside, they even put a heatpipe in and included of course a active fan. The entire device seems still not thicker than the Pyra, even if they would have made the battery removable. Seems well engineered indeed.

The Lanyard Hole isnt a Lanyard Hole, its for a wrist band, nobody would want to carry such a thing on the neck, but according of your work envroivment, it wouldnt be the badest idea to secure your Handheld whit a wrist band,

On the New 2DS XL; i noticed that there istnt a hole for a Wrist Band /Lanyard, which is a bit of a shame, as this Thing is market as a Child Handheld, and Childs are known for trop somethimes things on the floor..
[doublepost=1547480912,1547480703][/doublepost]
Looks pretty compact at the inside, they even put a heatpipe in and included of course a active fan. The entire device seems still not thicker than the Pyra, even if they would have made the battery removable. Seems well engineered indeed.
This is because the GPD ditnt have this Modular CPU like the Pyra have: if you have CPU and all the other Stuff on one PCB, its dosnt need that much space
Also the Pyra could have a Thinner Case, but this would take much more time, and would cost more in Europe..
GPD should have the Case Company in theyre Neighborhood..

I think you may have causality the wrong way around there, matzesu. The Pyra doesn't have active cooling because there isn't the space to fit it. If there were space, plus the power budget to run it, plus ED had experience in designing these kind of heatpipe assemblies, he might have tried it out, but none of those pass muster, so we're limited to passive cooling. Also, even Atom cpus generally need active cooling to stay performant when stressed. We still have to see how long the OMAP5 can run flat out before things start to get too toasty, I think.

With the right (mobile) Chip and a pretty good heatpipe/vapor chamber design, I'm pretty sure we can have the same thickness and still modular CPU, as long as it's an passive cooled (ARM) CPU. Big advantage to the x86 CPU's that GPD uses.
There are thin high performance Smartphones with passive cooled CPU and the Pyra has compared much more space for a bigger cooling unit than a Smartphone so we even could dodge the typical CPU throttling. :)
I'm pretty confident that in the future, there will be interesting options available for the Pyra and as matzesu mentioned, the Pyra case still has some room. ^^

Well, I'm probably not backing it, but I support having smaller, chunkier devices that sacrifice looks for better cooling, more ports, and more durability. I'd go straight for it if I didn't already have a Win 2. You can't go wrong with that many ports, though.

Back