GPD MicroPC

Jepp, looks like a Handheld for Workers, whit Serial Port, they could maybe acces a CNC Machine, the Whole Thing looks pretty robust,
And finaly a Wrist Band Atachmend Port, i dotnt know why, but a Handheld whitout Wrist Band dosnt look good for me, its like the Foxtail on the Arial Antenna of a Opel Manta
its a part of the Device..
Its looks more like Pandora/Pyra than the other GPD Devices, but its still no competitor, because its dosnt have Gaming Buttons..
But if you look for a Work PC for your Pocket, this could be a nice alternative..

I would be very interested if I didn't have a GPD Pocket yet. I love the additional ports. An SD card slot and removable battery would make it complete.
Don't need two similar devices though, but might sell my Pocket if this turn out right.

That trackpad seems like a waste of space considering the optical mouse from the pocket2 would allow more space for larger keys. I would expect keyboard input to be a bigger draw for the target audience.

A handheld in industrial, rugged design? I LIKE! <3 That's the direction I always wanted the Pyra case design goes. Sadly, it didn't. But OK, others do it now.
What is known about the Intel N4100 and could this CPU also suited for our humble (retro) stuff needs?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Celeron-N4100-SoC.271814.0.html

to quote that page:

Performance

The CPU performance of the Celeron N4100 is thanks to the slightly revised CPU architecture and the 200 MHz higher boost clock slightly better than the old Celeron N3450 and should reach the level of the old Pentium N4200 (1.1 - 2.5 GHz, 2 MB L2, Apollo Lake). Compared to the more expensive Core Y processors, especially the single thread performance is much lower in the Gemini Lake based SoCs. Still for basic tasks like office suits, browsing with moderate multitasking the processor performance should be fine.

GPU Performance

The UHD Graphics 600 (Gemini Lake) is based on Intel's Gen9 architecture, which supports DirectX 12 and is also used for the Kaby Lake / Skylake / Apollo Lake graphics adapters (like HD Graphics 520). Equipped with 12 EUs and a clock of up to 700 MHz, the performance should be roughly on par with the older HD Graphics 500 (Apollo Lake).

The chip also includes an advanced video engine with hardware support for the playback of VP9 and H.265 material (8-bit color-depth).

So nothing special, but for network admin etc will be fine.

It's been interesting to watch the MicroPC development progress.

GPD have been sharing the development of the product with me since early June. It started off as a quick sketch of a keyboard and touchpad which the CEO photoed ontop of a WIN 2.

Early June

rPcOgGQ.jpg

Next phase were design drawings which progressivly got better, here is an early one:

ejZvWHL.png

Next step was a more defined render that went through a number of iterations:

XhYzZ3s.png

Then they got a company to make a 3D print of the MicroPC which looked awesome, it was hard to tell it was just a 3D print:

iny0slK.png

And then finally they made a R&D prototype as per below. They plan on putting out an advanced proto at the end of Dec:

boyOzVc.png

Wish it had the same hinge as the one on the Win 2......but then again, it probably wouldn't be as tough enough for Network Engineers and Sys admins to use on a daily basis.

Fujitsu U830?

It is a good design, probably needs a trackpoint for enhanced mouse scrolling experience.

From the photo the screen area does not give an UMPC feel because the screen area looks plain, flat, and glossy. Similar to a tablet hooked to a keyboard.

Nonetheless, looks like a neat product from GPD.

Last edited:
Then they got a company to make a 3D print of the MicroPC which looked awesome, it was hard to tell it was just a 3D print:
Indeed. I wish the 3D printer I had access to printed like that. I guess that's probably a very expensive industrial printer

Fujitsu U830?

It is a good design, probably needs a trackpoint for enhanced mouse scrolling experience.

From the photo the screen area does not give an UMPC feel because the screen area looks plain, flat, and glossy. Similar to a tablet hooked to a keyboard.

Nonetheless, looks like a neat product from GPD.
A smaller touchpad with a trackpoint situated to the left of it like the Vulcan Flipstart?

EDIT: I mean to the right, I haven't looked at my Vulcan in a while lol...

Last edited:
Yes, you got it AVahne.

The Micro PC above looks like a cross between the Fujitsu U series and a Redfly terminal.

See what I mean:

redflycompanion29.jpg

Again it is a nice design, but there could be more.

Maybe add a wireless toggle switch, a thin sheet of protective adhesive behind the LCD cover made of a metal material for increased ruggedness.

Even though the comeback of the UMPC form factor is appreciated the general design direction is heading into the generic area thus products can become bland with reduced "design value."

Small details can mean a lot to some users.

It might be too early to speak at the moment because we have yet to see the "advanced proto."

Last edited:
GPD will also be launching another totally new product in 2019 - ie not a WIN or Pocket. It will probably be around Q3

Back