Gp32x Googleised

Would you donate money to rid GP32x of google ads?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I use google advertisments on my compatibility list. They are content targeted and usually very relevant to the site. Take a look at the right side of the Compatibility list and you will see what I mean.

I don't think having advertisments on a site is a bad thing, especially if it doesn't interfere with the actual content of the place. And these advertisments are hidden in the banner, so no problem there then! Also it may help the webmasters, as they are letting you use the place for free, nothing wrong with them getting something back for all their hard work.

As for the colour scheme, I can see what they have done, they have set the colour for the main GP32X page which is mainly brown. What they heed to do, is go back to the google advertisments panel, and change the colour scheme to match the forum pages. You can have lots of different colour schemes and layouts for google advertisments running at the same time! So the forum advertisments can match the forum colour scheme and the main GP32X advertisments can match that etc.

On another point, wasn't there always an advertisment there for Lik Sang? So changing it to goolge has only brought a bit of variety :), which in my books is a good thing!

Yeah, there's only one flaw with these google ads:

They sometimes oofer links to illegal websites selling DVD's full of MAME roms.

Horscht posted on Jul 21 2005 at 10:33 AM said:

Aha, but that's Google's problem, not the website's. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bronze posted on Jul 21 2005 at 12:06 PM said:
I was under the impression they had nothing to do with the seatch engine company 'Google' but were a different company with a similar name?

Nope, Google-ads are part of google. Using Google technology for targeted ads etc.

Bronze posted on Jul 21 2005 at 01:06 PM said:
I was under the impression they had nothing to do with the seatch engine company 'Google' but were a different company with a similar name?

They are google search engine.

Last edited:
Nova posted on Jul 20 2005 at 11:05 PM said:
alyinsanfran posted on Jul 21 2005 at 03:29 AM said:
C'mon dude, leave it be. What are you, running a 2400bps modem?
Ignore it! Not a big deal by any means!
If it helps us keep our community, no stress!
Good lord man, if you can create a better (ad' free) site, please go ahead. No?
Until then, let us all thank GoogleAds.

me said:
ok they really arent that bad, but hando, please make them blueish or something?

:blink: i dont remember saying anything requireing a telling off.

'Pologies Nova, I read the lo-fi version too fast and made assumptions. The poll doesn't show in lo-fi view.
The margaritas made me do it. ;)

Horscht posted on Jul 21 2005 at 10:33 AM said:

But that is useful :ph34r: The boating equipment adds are a bit misdirected.

phoda posted on Jul 21 2005 at 07:19 PM said:
I did not even notice the ads until I read this thread. Damn it!
I guess my brain is filtering ads naturally.
That's because people naturally tune ads out after at most a few weeks exposure to the internet. If you want to post secret information somewhere, just put it in an add and nobody will notice it.

The only reason I notice google ads is because they're NOT flashy or obnoxious like most other ads out there, so my brain unconsciously detects them as maybe containing usefull information. Still, I think I'll learn to filter them eventually. ;)

I like google ads. Mostly because they're TEXT ONLY. :) No blinky ads, no flash with SOUND (ARGH!!), no "SHOOT THE TENNIS BALL WITH YOUR LIGHTSABER TO WIN A FREE PSP!!!!" flash ads. :p

If you have adblock, you absolutely NEED to add this to your list:

*.falkag.*

because falkag ads and popups will try to install spyware/viruses/viruspyware/malware/soup onto your computer.

If the money from these ads keeps the site up or sponsors a coding contest then I am all for it!

I pretty much prefer these google adds (only these ones, not the ones used on other boards that randomly underline keywords in the posts themselves that open a small dialoque box when you float over them) to "normal" adds. And now the colour sheme fits the according pages (brown on HP, blue in Forum)

Horscht posted on Jul 21 2005 at 05:53 PM said:
I pretty much prefer these google adds (only these ones, not the ones used on other boards that randomly underline keywords in the posts themselves that open a small dialoque box when you float over them) to "normal" adds.

if you have adblock, block this:

http:*intellitxt.com*

and all will be well in the kingdom. :)

I hate those keyword things too. >_<

that's all i got to do? sweet.

EDIT: ooooohhhhh yeah god,yeah. This is soo much of a relief. thank you for the hint.

Back