Gp2x Bootup Times...

It's a portable gaming type device... not a full blown PC..

I won't stand boot time longer than 10 seconds.

heck my PocketPC boots up in about 5 seconds.

I wonder if those same people that can stand the 1 minute boot time is the same fanboys that believe that

"I don't mind bugs and nicks with the unit because when I find a way to clear the problem I feel good about it and more closer with the unit". ..

(no offense intended.. just MHO)

beg1689 posted on Dec 10 2005 at 12:13 PM said:
whens the last time you complained about your computer starting in 30 seconds? what the hell are u in such a rush to do? I wouldnt care if it took a minute to boot up once its done it works fine.
All the time. There is NO EXCUSE for slow PC boot times. Absolutely ridiculous these days... Have to wait 30 seconds just to get through the BIOS, so even if you have sleep.

Anyway thats OT. The GP2X should boot in a couple of seconds at worst. At least the HH menus will I believe. Maybe we'll still have a to wait a few more secs for Linux.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
judge0: Networking is not in the kernel. If it was, I would be running(or closer to) network over usb. JFFS2 is also great becuase it tries to maximize the life of the NAND.

The more complex the device, the longer it will take to boot. For example, Sony's PSP takes its sweet time to boot which Sony was able to hide using stanby.

I kept it to myself, but I was concerned that the boot time was going to get annoying for me too.

I got my GP2X over the weekend finally, and I can say that it hasn't annoyed me in the least bit.

As much as many want to compare this system to others, you have to realize, this system is drastically different than other systems. This system is based on a kernel that is normally meant for computing, whereas other systems are specialized to the bone.

For example, the GBA has no internal filesystem, it just executes whatever code is on the cart.

The PSP has a specialized filesystem which is definitely not as flexible as the 2X, but even so, takes a little bit to boot.

The first thing I think everybody should realize is, this system is a jack of all trades unlike all others, the PSP requires you to jump through the hoops, while this has already done some of the hoop jumping. In closing, saying that you "demand" the boot time to be shorter is going to probably cut something out that someone else wanted to use for something. As is always the case, just give it some time.

I was expecting the 20 second boot time to be horrible... to be honest, it's nothing I can't live with (although I'd rather not), and it doesn't really interfere with the 5 minute gaming fast thing. A little surprisingly.

Basically, it doesn't feel as long as it sounds, although I'd appreciate a widget that showed a random (from, say, about 8000) funny picture instead of the loading screen to make it an easier wait :) Not that that'd speed things up, of course...

I'll shut up now lol.

mysql101 posted on Dec 10 2005 at 01:51 PM said:
The boot time is a bit long, but I can deal with it.

What i'd like to see is the removal of the splash screen and see the actual linux bootup text - mounting drives, starting services, etc. Geek factor would go way up :)
Oh same here. That would be very cool. It would be real nice to see the penguin when you boot the GP2X.

I may fact enjoy trying to read everything it was doing. That would help me past the time when it is booting.

jdwrrzmm posted on Dec 19 2005 at 11:30 PM said:
mysql101 posted on Dec 10 2005 at 01:51 PM said:
The boot time is a bit long, but I can deal with it.

What i'd like to see is the removal of the splash screen and see the actual linux bootup text - mounting drives, starting services, etc. Geek factor would go way up :)
Oh same here. That would be very cool. It would be real nice to see the penguin when you boot the GP2X.

I may fact enjoy trying to read everything it was doing. That would help me past the time when it is booting.

Third'd

I still stare at my PC's post screens when it boots up :lol:

Willei posted on Dec 10 2005 at 01:58 PM said:
To be honest, I can live with it on the GP2X as well, annoying though it is. The only real problem I have with it is that it crashes on startup from time to time, so I'm sitting there watching it for 60 seconds thinking it's still loading before I work out what's probably happened! :p

i hear that, nothing i hate more than getting on the train to work switching on my GP2X waiting, only do the same again at the next stop, thats a real pain.......would be handy to have a loading progress bar or something, at least itll be easier to see if the buggers not going to load

The PSP takes around 30 seconds on a cold boot.

The difference is, the PSP doesn't often need a cold boot as you can change the discs while the thing's still switched on and there's a warm boot option which only takes a second.

By all accounts though, I'm still biased towards the GP32.

i thought the gp2x boot time would bug me, it doesnt, i miss the gp32 opening music for some bizarre reason

nearly half a minute boot time is highly unacceptable, if its not down to less than 10 seconds eventually im guna be very annoyed...

Hope I can provide some information based on my similar works in other gargets for whom interested here:

- The boot up time is reasonable for a full function version of Linux OS currently used, not much to do without customizing the OS (e.g. disable hardware checkings)

- MAY be tune a little bit faster, about 3-5 seconds (e.g. background loading some of the unnecessary apps)

- CANNOT perform optimization as PDA / smartphone does which got "sleep mode" to minimize the impact on booting.

Back