Version Confusion

100,000 is the number of presses that shall be made,
99,999 is allowed provided that the 100,000th follows,
100,002 is right out.
Then ye shall give thee GP2X of Anteoch to your foe,
And he, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

cbox posted on May 25 2006 at 10:17 PM said:
I don't think they actually sit there and press it until it dies and count how many times it took. MTBF is always just a guesstimation and will probably last way longer than the expected lifetime of the product.

Have you never seen the counter machines in Ikea?

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on May 25 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
If I were you I would ask ED* if he is going to make the Radek D-Pad mod (Closer To The Final Replacement Of Stick) available as a service, trade-in or otherwise, it might be cheaper to get that done then replace your GP with a MKII.

*EvilDragon, proprietor of German GP2X shop

Now THAT I would pay bank for. Replacing the craptastic stick alltogether for a D-Pad? Mmmm... lovely.

nickspoon posted on May 25 2006 at 10:27 AM said:
The stick is NOT faulty. It never was. It does exactly what it was intended to do, and it does this correctly. Maybe not well, but correctly. If you press a direction, you hit a microswitch. This causes a signal that tells the system what the direction you hit was. If you hit a direction that is not the one you intended to hit, it's your fault. The stick is merely a mechanism.
Yes, a mechanism being subjected to a use it was not designed for. I said clearly that it works now, but that due to its design and the stresses being put upon it (big caps, being shoved in pockets), the stick is highly likely to fail.

Aninhumer posted on May 25 2006 at 10:38 AM said:
I thought the 100,000 presses was just a manufacturer cop-out?
Besides 100,000 is still a lot, we had the same argument about the NAND until someone pointed out that 100,000 writes would last about 40 years, with constant use. (Obviously 100,000 presses wouldn't last that long, but probably longer than you think)
I thought that we were estimating the NAND would be written a few hundred times per power-on cycle with the old firmware. The stick is being pressed thousands of times when gaming, sometimes with much enthusiasm and force, it is definitely not designed for that.

@GeminiDomino, Thanks for reading about the D-Pad, if it comes in under $35 shipped it will be hard not to purchase. In any event I fully plan on buying one for my GP2X when the stick fails, cost be damned. On the other hand if I find a nice GameCube D-Pad broken somewhere I might do that mod on my own time :).

I don't recall who did that mod, I could do a search. It came out really nice.

nubie posted on May 25 2006 at 06:17 PM said:
@GeminiDomino, Thanks for reading about the D-Pad, if it comes in under $35 shipped it will be hard not to purchase. In any event I fully plan on buying one for my GP2X when the stick fails, cost be damned. On the other hand if I find a nice GameCube D-Pad broken somewhere I might do that mod on my own time :).

I don't recall who did that mod, I could do a search. It came out really nice.

I'd pay twice that.

I picked up both the MKII cap and Craig's new cap and have tried them and I'd rate them as follows:

1) Craig's new GP2X cap. Wide and comfy, it's the one I've kept on my gp2x the most. I don't really notice the letters when playing.
2) MKII cap from lik-sang. Smoother than Craig's but a little smaller
3) my custom built one I used before I got Craig's, made from a replacement PSP cap
4) original cap - poopoo

Back