Gp2x Bootup Time

jimb

Still Fresh
Just wondering how long its going to take for the GP2X to boot up into a ready state?

Considering it uses a (1MB?) Linux O/S for the GUI, drivers/codecs (for video/MP3 playback) would there be a sigificant delay before the unit is ready?

Also, what if there is a major system crash? What options will be available for re-installing the O/S?

I thought the official figure from craig was 4, although there is always room to optimise

The beta units take a while (over 10 seconds) but they have linux set up in an odd way which can be optimised.

Plus for direct hardware there will be a boot similar to the GP32 time.

-Craig

Define "major system crash" most computer crashes happen for two reasons

1. Software creates a page fault or other error causing the memory to dump. Basicly the program tryed to use memory are ready in use and freaks (MS windows is prone to this problem).

2. Hardware Dies (most major systems crashes are caused by this)

Remember the gp2x is embedded it doesn't have a harddrive or plug and play devices so most of the things that cause major crashes have been eliminated.

And in any case GPH says that the will have firmware upgrades from time to time so if linux gets trashed (not that likely really) then you could download the firmware and you'll be back up and running.

Define "major system crash"
Lets suppose I start the unit and it shows a blank screen and no GUI or bootup details. Maybe caused by something which corrupted the Linux O/S.

And in any case GPH says that the will have firmware upgrades from time to time
I think this is where I'm getting confused.
When I hear 'firmware' I think of something similar to a PC BIOS firmware upgrade. That is, a basic piece of code for the hardware and no actual O/S.
So, for GP2X, does 'firmware' mean everything you need for the unit? i.e, O/S, GUI, Icons, codecs, etc.. ?

what's the deal? it's seems like a lot of people are overly concerned about the most obscure things about the gp2x.

like boot up time, what it can and can't emulate, where the headphone jack is, whether the joystick is concave or convex, on and on and on.

i mean seriously, with a lot of this stuff, who cares? never has a handheld been thru the gauntlet so many times before even reaching the shelves i swear. :angry:

Aimless_E posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
Define "major system crash" most computer crashes happen for two reasons

1. Software creates a page fault or other error causing the memory to dump. Basicly the program tryed to use memory are ready in use and freaks (MS windows is prone to this problem).

2. Hardware Dies (most major systems crashes are caused by this)

Remember the gp2x is embedded it doesn't have a harddrive or plug and play devices so most of the things that cause major crashes have been eliminated.

And in any case GPH says that the will have firmware upgrades from time to time so if linux gets trashed (not that likely really) then you could download the firmware and you'll be back up and running.

3. Memory leaks : program keeps writing to ram without getting rid of useless data eventually fills up RAM, system grinds to a halt

4. 100% CPU usage : mostly caused infinate loops or tasks being given too high a priority.

5. runtime errors : primarily caused by bad programming (can be caused by corrupt data but the code should allow for it). System locks up for no reason or quits with an error

Last edited by a moderator:
tengen posted on Oct 19 2005 at 05:20 PM said:
what's the deal? it's seems like a lot of people are overly concerned about the most obscure things about the gp2x.

like boot up time, what it can and can't emulate, where the headphone jack is, whether the joystick is concave or convex, on and on and on.

i mean seriously, with a lot of this stuff, who cares? never has a handheld been thru the gauntlet so many times before even reaching the shelves i swear. :angry:

They're little things so some people but together some of these add up to a lot. They're all things that could effect the quality of enjoyment. SOme times you have to be critical about things or ask questions to get straight answers.

jimb posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:27 PM said:
Also, what if there is a major system crash? What options will be available for re-installing the O/S?

umm same thing could happen with the hundreds of embedded items you have around the house (ok slight exageration)... washing machine, tv, ...

not something you normally worry about :s

i assume that any critical areas of the system data will only be accessable for reading (in normal circumstances), so unless theres a mechanical problem should be fine!

jimb posted on Oct 19 2005 at 02:20 PM said:
When I hear 'firmware' I think of something similar to a PC BIOS firmware upgrade. That is, a basic piece of code for the hardware and no actual O/S.
So, for GP2X, does 'firmware' mean everything you need for the unit? i.e, O/S, GUI, Icons, codecs, etc.. ?

Just simply think of it as an OS update, like Service Pack 2, or updating from system 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 (simply bug fixs and make the product work better).

So if the boot time was to slow, they could make a new firmware to download that fixed the problem, or adds new fuctionality to the device.

The thing with bootup time is, just like Windows, it can be highly frustrating if *something* keeps crashing the system or a emulator/game makes the O/S behave oddly forcing you to keep re-booting. You'll soon get fed up if it takes say, 20 seconds to get the unit operating again.

The reason I ask though is because I used to have an iPAQ which would become sloooow and unstable after running a few apps/games. That thing took some time to kick back into action.

greenmikey posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:42 PM said:
The one video looked about 20 seconds, but maybe that was because I was waiting so anxiously.

If you mean the latest video at http://www.gpx2.co.kr/wmv/GP2X.wmv

It gets turned on at 1:11 and the interface appears at 1:35 so the bootup time does seem to be 20 seconds right now.

Htwo posted on Oct 20 2005 at 06:23 PM said:
greenmikey posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:42 PM said:
The one video looked about 20 seconds, but maybe that was because I was waiting so anxiously.

If you mean the latest video at http://www.gpx2.co.kr/wmv/GP2X.wmv

It gets turned on at 1:11 and the interface appears at 1:35 so the bootup time does seem to be 20 seconds right now.
WOW 24 seconds. That is not good. I hope it can be improved (and is).

its likely that it will be improved, however its not that much of a problem as you can return to the launcher without restarting the unit.

tengen posted on Oct 19 2005 at 04:20 PM said:

The deal is as I see it, that many of us working class folks don't want to part with ~$200 for a new system without knowing about every aspect of it. Maybe you have unlimited disposable income and don't care to know about the products you buy .. if so, then good for you.

And why the anger over a simple question ... on a message board about the GP2X whose goal is to bring together folks who have questions and share information?

Back