Gngeo2x 0.6.9 *update*

Doh i was looking under puzzle not bust a move i will go try this soon that game is wawesome :Z I just get a black screen when it starts so i'm guessing i've got a bad bios

Doh i was looking under puzzle not bust a move i will go try this soon that game is wawesome :Z I just get a black screen when it starts so i'm guessing i've got a bad bios

if you just get a black screen with absolutely nothing (nothing flash in the top left corner?) then your script is probably iffy. make sure you encode it in UNIX, and you've got the roms in the roms folder of the gngeo directory, and also that the script is actually right:

#/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gngeo
exec /mnt/sd/gngeo/gngeo.gpe roms/mslug.zip

for metal slug. phew! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

if you just get a black screen with absolutely nothing (nothing flash in the top left corner?) then your script is probably iffy. make sure you encode it in UNIX, and you've got the roms in the roms folder of the gngeo directory, and also that the script is actually right:

#/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gngeo

or if you want to run the game with sound.

#/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gngeo
exec /mnt/sd/gngeo/gngeo.gpe roms/nameofgame.zip --sound

I have 2 scripts for each game so I can run it with or without sound helps when testing and you want to be quick. :)

alternatively you can alter the file in conf, there is some interesting stuff in there, such as a fps counter displayer and a sound true/false switch, as well as arcade/home switches. pepone has labelled the things unchangeable in the gp2x version, such as controls and hotkeys.

#/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gngeo

or if you want to run the game with sound.

#/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gngeo
exec /mnt/sd/gngeo/gngeo.gpe roms/nameofgame.zip --sound

I have 2 scripts for each game so I can run it with or without sound helps when testing and you want to be quick. :)

My scripts look exactly like that, yet my roms never, ever do anything but BLACKSCREEN'D me. Programmer's notepad and all, every Bios file.....

I am just wondering what "at a good speed" means. Everyones definition of that will be different. Some think "at a good speed" means 60% speed at FS2, while others would call 95% at FS0-1 "at a good speed".

Maybe someone could give a percentage of fullspeed and at what FS. Like "runs 90% speed at FS2" or something like that.

Also I am hoping that some sort of ROM selector is implemented, messing with scripts is a bit much for some.

I am just wondering what "at a good speed" means. Everyones definition of that will be different. Some think "at a good speed" means 60% speed at FS2, while others would call 95% at FS0-1 "at a good speed".

Maybe someone could give a percentage of fullspeed and at what FS. Like "runs 90% speed at FS2" or something like that.

Also I am hoping that some sort of ROM selector is implemented, messing with scripts is a bit much for some.

I did spend an evening observing the minimum framerates on all the listed working titles and edited the wiki accordingly. But the damn thing logged me out just as I was saving the results, and I didn't write them down first, 4 hours wasted. :(

All the titles were tested with sound enabled most had a minimum frame rate of around 25fps and did have peaks as high as in the high 40fps low 50 fps.

There were a couple of games that suffered with sound enabled and they have been mentioned on the wiki, Metal slug, Fatal Fury 2, Neo Turf Masters and Savage Reign. All have really good frame rates without sound enabled. Metal Slug is 60fps without sound. :)

I guess there is some kind of frameskip involved as there is an option called autoframskip in the config file and it is set to auto. The games play really smoothly though so it is hard to tell if this is really doing anything over frameskip 1.

On the subject of scripts if there are no objections I can post scripts for all the working titles currently on the wiki in a zip on the archive if it helps. I also got a couple more games not on the wiki to test and can add those to. I got to pop out but if it is something that will be useful I will post the scripts when I get back in.

I made mine by taking the .gpu that comes with the default skin and editing it in Windows notepad with the script instruction and saving it. I just changed the extension to .gpe and the resulting files work just fine, good thing as I don't have the other noetpad programs mention earlier in the thread. :D

On the subject of scripts if there are no objections I can post scripts for all the working titles currently on the wiki in a zip on the archive if it helps. I also got a couple more games not on the wiki to test and can add those to. I got to pop out but if it is something that will be useful I will post the scripts when I get back in.

I made mine by taking the .gpu that comes with the default skin and editing it in Windows notepad with the script instruction and saving it. I just changed the extension to .gpe and the resulting files work just fine, good thing as I don't have the other noetpad programs mention earlier in the thread. :D

is it really necessary? you just change the filename in the last line of the script..

but one of the main things i find that is annoying with creating scripts is clutter. now my root SD has about 7 or 8 .gpe files in it.. and its just a bit untidy really.

is it really necessary? you just change the filename in the last line of the script..

but one of the main things i find that is annoying with creating scripts is clutter. now my root SD has about 7 or 8 .gpe files in it.. and its just a bit untidy really.

Yes it is, as you have to keep taking out the SD card out or connecting your GP2X to your PC/Mac to make any changes to the files. If you have a script written for each rom you are testing you don't have to mess about all the time.

As DaveC said some people are not comfortable writing scripts and to have one ready made for the title they wanted to run could prove helpful, but only if people want them, which it looks like they don't.

Yes it is, as you have to keep taking out the SD card out or connecting your GP2X to your PC/Mac to make any changes to the files. If you have a script written for each rom you are testing you don't have to mess about all the time.

As DaveC said some people are not comfortable writing scripts and to have one ready made for the title they wanted to run could prove helpful, but only if people want them, which it looks like they don't.

:lol: before i tried to run this emulator i had never written a script.. i just copied and pasted the example from the readme and put in the right filename. i have one for each rom i use.

also, with regards to some roms not working, would it be useful to try changing the region in the conf file to usa, or japan? i dont think europe is the most popular region, so many roms might not be european dumps..

Am I missing something? Have any of you tried to set up kounch's selector? I've never worked with scipts before and I'm not usually too good with this kind of thing but looking through the examples managed to set it up for pretty much all of the GP2x emulators that accept a command line prompt over a couple of evenings, including Gngeo2x. It's actually fairly simple, give it a try :)

Am I missing something? Have any of you tried to set up kounch's selector? I've never worked with scipts before and I'm not usually too good with this kind of thing but looking through the examples managed to set it up for pretty much all of the GP2x emulators that accept a command line prompt over a couple of evenings, including Gngeo2x. It's actually fairly simple, give it a try :)

i have seen that kind of thing in the file archives.. i just wasnt sure whether it would work. thanks for the heads up ^_^

:lol: before i tried to run this emulator i had never written a script.. i just copied and pasted the example from the readme and put in the right filename. i have one for each rom i use.

You and me both :D . I was just responding to a suggestion, but it looks like thanks to halo9 there is a better way. :)

also, with regards to some roms not working, would it be useful to try changing the region in the conf file to usa, or japan? i dont think europe is the most popular region, so many roms might not be european dumps..

I think the region setting just affects, the language, game title and splash screen you see when running the game. I think the roms are the same as those on the AES system and it just depends on what system it runs on as to the options that become available. I think. :unsure:

I was too lazy to try it out, but I will now, Thanks :D

OK I'll try to explain what I did. I'm a noob so bear with me. All of the following files go together in any directory on your SD card:

I renamed the file 'gngeo.gpe' to 'gngeo'. This hides it from the GP2x menu, avoiding a selection mistake later.

I then made a new script to execute using VIM (try Google) called 'gngeo2x.gpe' containing this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

./selector ./gngeo2x_config
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

I made a file called 'gngeo2x_config' containing this:

Code:
#Selector configuration file
#Version 1.0

#Full path to skin files
skinPath=./

#List of full paths of command line options
cmdLine=./gngeo
cmdLine=./gngeo --sound
cmdLine=./gngeo >log.txt
cmdLine=./gngeo --sound >log.txt

#Full absolute path to base directory for file explorer
baseDir=/mnt/sd/roms/neogeomvs/

#File filters
fileFilter=zip

The line near the end starting with 'baseDir' should be altered to point to your game roms folder.

You need to also put the program 'selector' from kounch's selector download into the same directory. This is from the applications/launchers section of downloads. You need to put the 'romrc' file and the 'conf' and 'roms' folders from the GNGeo zip in this folder too. Your bios goes in the folder 'roms'.

I think that's about it. If anyone knows how to do this better, please let me know as this is how i have all my emulators set up. You can also put one of the 'fondo.png' skins from selector in here too. I've not seen one for neogeo so if anyone's good with photoshop and feeling a bit keen...

I think if you read through the script line by line it's fairly obvious what everything's doing. Try pressing A and Y in the selector menu to add sound and/or log file output.

Hope this helps...

:D

EDITS: for fat-fingered typing

I did exactly the same thing you did, and I get the following error...

No se pudo acceder al direct.

Babelfish is no help. Any ideas?

I did exactly the same thing you did, and I get the following error...

No se pudo acceder al direct.

Babelfish is no help. Any ideas?

If what you are looking for is the translation, that means: Could not reach the directory.

So the path in the script may not be ok. Check it

Yeah, I ended up blaming fat fingers for the problem.

Works well, thanks for the scripts.

I used selector to launch my games, but when I select the game, it takes me to a black screen....I may be missing something, but I'm pretty sure my scripts so far are correct if I can get selector going and actually see my zips in the program.

Works well, thanks for the scripts.
No problem, glad I can finally help someone else..

I used selector to launch my games, but when I select the game, it takes me to a black screen....I may be missing something, but I'm pretty sure my scripts so far are correct if I can get selector going and actually see my zips in the program.
Have you renamed you 'gnegeo.gpe' file to 'gngeo'? that's the only bit after selector, unless you don't have the bios?

Back