Gngeo2x 0.6.9 *update*

Azure posted on Apr 3 2006 at 07:39 PM said:
Well, the big three games I'm concerned about are Blazing Star, Pulstar, and Twinkle Star Sprites (I'm a shmup fan  :) ). If you can only test one, could you do TSS? Thanks in advance, iignotus  ;)
TSS
no sound, no OC i get mid 30s
No sound, OC to 250 (anyone can get to this, I personally max out around 266) 60fps
low quality sound, OC to 250 mid 40's
high quality, OC to 250 mid 30's

Maybe its just my rom, but the sound isn't very good, kinda static and garbled, you are better off no sound or low quality than wasting frames on higher quality garble;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Blazing Star I play all the time, it runs at near-or-at 60 FPS with a 299 MHz overclock, and very close to that at 266, with 'high quality' sound (22050hz audio). Twinkle Star Sprites I played last night at 299, it was 60 FPS as well, it lagged but the real NeoGeo lags in the same places. You can overclock the emulated NeoGeo's 68000 to reduce that, too. :) Seems like it'd be about the same at 266 since I saw nearly 0 system lag from the '2x itself.

Pulstar I didn't try. But since it's about the same as the Blazing Star engine but less stressful (it's sort of a prequel), expect great things. ;)

Not at all ... sound seemed great at 22050hz. Maybe if he tried 11khz that was the issue, some games sound horrible downsampled. As for speed, even the hardware scaling bit where your character and opponent scale and fly their way onscreen at the start of a stage was appallingly smooth, and scaling is the slowest thing you can do in GnGeo2x right now. (Except maybe rotation. Seems rarely utilized)

Epicenter posted on Apr 4 2006 at 07:37 AM said:
(Except maybe rotation. Seems rarely utilized)
Indeed, the neogeo don't have rotation capability.
It can only scaling down sprite.

Epicenter posted on Apr 4 2006 at 09:23 AM said:
No wonder it's not used often then.. software rotation is pitifully slow.
actuallly, the neogeo can't even do software rotation.

The Neogeo has a very simple design: it push sprites from gfx rom to video, that's pretty much all. It don't have a framebuffer, just a some sort of video ram where there is information like "draw sprite XXX on screen at location x,y"

All the power of this beast come from the enormous size of GFX roms.

pepone posted on Apr 4 2006 at 11:55 AM said:
It don't have a framebuffer, just a some sort of video ram where there is information like "draw sprite XXX on screen at location x,y"

Hi Pepone!

Just one question about video, buffers and so on: is there a way to have vsync/double buffer enabled on gngeo?
I've searched a lot, but found nothing, sorry if it's have been asked before.
Thanks a lot for this emu!

Massi

Aruseman posted on Apr 5 2006 at 10:14 AM said:
pepone posted on Apr 4 2006 at 11:55 AM said:
It don't have a framebuffer, just a some sort of video ram where there is information like "draw sprite XXX on screen at location x,y"

Hi Pepone!

Just one question about video, buffers and so on: is there a way to have vsync/double buffer enabled on gngeo?
I've searched a lot, but found nothing, sorry if it's have been asked before.
Thanks a lot for this emu!

Massi
It's not possible for now. I may add it in the future, but the framerate will depend on your lcd setting.

Pepone is possible put the frameskip (as mame )with number 0, 1, 2, 3, no autoframeskip ?

Thanks for you time.

antidark posted on Apr 5 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
Pepone is possible put the frameskip (as mame )with number 0, 1, 2, 3, no autoframeskip ?

Thanks for you time.
No, the only option is autoframeskip sorry :(
Well, actually I don't even quite understand what fskip 1,2,3 should do?
fskip 1 == 30fps?
fskip 2 == ?

pepone posted on Apr 5 2006 at 06:55 AM said:
Pepone is possible put the frameskip (as mame )with number 0, 1, 2, 3, no autoframeskip  ?

Thanks for you time.
fskip 1 == 30fps?
fskip 2 == ?

I think it is
Fskip2=20
3= 15

I am not sure it is really weird.

pepone posted on Apr 5 2006 at 11:55 PM said:

Thanks for you time.
fskip 1 == 30fps?
fskip 2 == ?

It's jsut how many frames you skip before writing a frame. so..

if framerate is 60 then.

FS1 = 30
FS2 = 20
FS3 = 15
FS4 = 12
FS5 = 10

so...

actual framerate = (60 / (FS + 1))

Is it just me or is the whole Frameskip nomenclature nonsense. It should be the number of frames to skip or draw per second, e.g. "Frameskip: 30 FPS" for 30 FPS on a 60 Hz console, 20 on a 50 Hz one ..

JyCet posted on Feb 27 2006 at 08:37 AM said:
@antidark
I found the stupid raster bug, I'll release the v0.5.1 this evening.
I'll test more save stat!

EDIT:
RAGE2X v0.5.1
(fix raster bug & reduce cpu speed to 150MHz)
;)
Hi JyCet

Any chance of getting rage to rememeber what game you last played and position you at it next time you start or return back to rage from gngeo?

Also could left and right shoulders be used to go to top/bootom of the list?

Thanks for the great front end, I was around in the neo goeo emulation scene when the original PC rage front end first came out, its nice to see something familuar again !

Please, i would like to know if there is the possibility to save the progress with some games (metal slug and others) because i don't like to play games every time from the beginning; thanks

Chronoz posted on Apr 7 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
Please, i would like to know if there is the possibility to save the progress with some games (metal slug and others) because i don't like to play games every time from the beginning; thanks

:lol:

Save states ... for arcade games :lol:

TelcoLou posted on Apr 7 2006 at 06:54 PM said:

Er, what happened to the home console that I keep hearing about? :rolleyes: :D

Nickmon posted on Apr 7 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
Any chance of getting rage to rememeber what game you last played and position you at it next time you start or return back to rage from gngeo?

You do know that doing that will keep writing to the card and reduce its life right? And also if your batteries go out during a write (common because writes take more juice than reads) your card can get corrupted. That is a bad feature unless you have the option to turn off.

TelcoLou posted on Apr 7 2006 at 06:54 PM said:

You've never seen that done? I have. And for some games it's very useful. Like if I just got to stage 5 in Dodonpachi without dying and have to run and do something. I want to save where I am.

Back