Gngeo2x 0.6.12

Q: Why I didnt see all my roms in green?
A: Verify your folder romspath1 & romspath2 in RAGE2X.CFG (you can change "roms/" & "/mnt/sd/roms/neogeomvs/")
Check if your zipped roms have the correct MAME name.

where do i check if the zipped roms have the correct MAME name? :ph34r:

EDIT: whoops i'm dumb, rage2x displays the name it's looking for :)

Is there a dat file for the roms? I'm dying to try this... but not sure which files to use!

Thanks a lot!

As far as I can tell, everything works great!

Is KOF2000 supposed to be completely playable, though? 'Cause I'm missing a layer (the one showing lifebars, powerbars, text, et cetera), all the other sprites work fine and I have all the files I'm supposed to have (as far as I can tell - and I've tried quite a few different combinations). Is this an issue with the emulator or have I simply picked up a bad file somewhere or something? :/
I didn't test kof2000, but maybe you need to redump it with the new dumpgfx? Or you allready did it, then it's a bug :lol:

Will it ever play games in fullscreen? I realize hardware scaling is CPU intensive, but if GnGeo can run so well on one CPU then surely hardware scaling is possible with the remaining power.
It is fullscreen, save for a hundred or so pixels. Very inconsequential.

Rage2x is a really good frontend, lol. Just use it for christ's sake ;)

And I seem to have worked out my problems, but I'm not sure why it happened in the first place...

Maybe you forgot to add the skin/font.bmp file? it's mandatory now.

As for the zoom optimization, it's for the zoomed out sprites used by the neogeo. Even if it's still slower that normal rendering, it gain a nice boost (nearly 10fps) in game like samourai shadow when the screen is completly zoomed out.

Hooray for a new version of gngeo2x--

It looks like this is for an old mame version and not the more recent and easier to find version. How does the romrc file work, and how I help out by modifying it to support all the roms I have?

Well, I didn't test the non-prototype version of garou. And for now I'm not sure fi it will work.
For the romrc, the format is simple: One section for each roms part (cpu, char, gfx, z80, sound_data).
Maybe you can try the followinf utility http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/dat2gn.c
it convet a kawaks dat file to a romrc file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else here get a glitch at rage2x when scrolling down to the 11th rom (or greater than 10) if you set your list to "See Available List"?

Here is my feedback so far on the emulator.

- Much better speed with sound. (Usually take 68K <--- 20% for newer fighters)

- BUG! You cannot control the volume when using the .cf settings for the games. (Sam Sho 5 Sp won't play sound at all when using the .cf file.)

Tests: (sound is at 11025 for all games, no raster)

SVC Chaos: OCL 250Mhz, 68K -20% very good, steady 40-60fps. Only Minor hiccups when starting match.

Samurai Showdown 5 Special: OCL 266Mhz, 68K -15%, variable fps 30-60. Slightly stuttery in the first match then is very smooth.

KOF 2003: OCL 266Mhz, 68k -20%, Z80 -5%, 30-55 fps. Slight random chop. Very playable.

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: OCL 266Mhz, 68K -15%, Z80 -15%. Chops up a bit for the first few seconds then is a rock solid 55fps. Awesome.

Samurai Showdown II: Default 266. OMFG Perfect. 60fps.

Last Blade: Default 266Mhz. 60fps Solid! Woot!

Metal Slug: Default Settings 266Mhz. Holy Crap. 60fps solid with sound! FNA!

Metal Slug 5: OCL 266Mhz, 68K -20%. Very minor slowdown here and there. 50-60fps. Actual game seems to run a slight bit slower. Very Minor.

AWESOME work guys.

The GP2X is the ONLY handheld that can emulate all AES/MVS Neo Geo games!

Hi Pepone!

I've just loaded the new version, and even if I've run just a couple of games, I think the lcd timing issue is gone...RULEZ!
Thanks again, now colors are solid-rock and if I modify the lcd settings from the firmware menu, it is still on when play roms.

Now I have no excuses to donate! ;)

Aruse

Hi Pepone!

I've just loaded the new version, and even if I've run just a couple of games, I think the lcd timing issue is gone...RULEZ!
Thanks again, now colors are solid-rock and if I modify the lcd settings from the firmware menu, it is still on when play roms.

Now I have no excuses to donate! ;)

Aruse

Well, I don't know what it was, since I didn't touch anything on this part. It's maybe the new selector, or the fact that I use the lastest Paeryn SDL.
Anyway, I'm really happy that it work :D

Well, I don't know what it was, since I didn't touch anything on this part. It's maybe the new selector, or the fact that I use the lastest Paeryn SDL.
Anyway, I'm really happy that it work :D

Hahahahah!!! I was guessing something like that!
Anyway it works and that's the matter to me, hope others will use that sdl too (now it's vobbo turn.. ;) )

Thanks

(so did you notice "clear screen" as an improvement of lcd freq, or is something else?)

i noticed rage2x seems darker, and less washed out. whatever happened, the result was good :D

Well, I didn't test the non-prototype version of garou. And for now I'm not sure fi it will work.
For the romrc, the format is simple: One section for each roms part (cpu, char, gfx, z80, sound_data).
Maybe you can try the followinf utility http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/dat2gn.c
it convet a kawaks dat file to a romrc file.

I actually already found that same piece of code somewhere else but immediately noticed:

Code:
* This piece of code is weird, but it seems to work.
 * Crypted ROMs are not supported ATM.

Since Garou is encrypted - that's a problem :(
Granted I could use Kawaks to generate non-encrypted C's but that kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise which is to get the standard mame dump of Garou.zip working. I've written an email to the author of that code asking if he has since added support for encrypted roms. Hopefully he has and this will get things started in making Gngeo compatable with roms for kawaks.

In the mean time, I came up with this (a guess based on how roms similar to garou look in the romrc file)

Code:
#mame set of garou
game garou MVS "Garou - Mark of the Wolves (set 1)" 
CPU 0x500000
253-ep1.p1 0x0 0x80000 NORM
253-ep2.p2 0x80000 0x80000 NORM
253-ep3.p3 0x100000 0x80000 NORM
253-ep4.p4 0x180000 0x80000 NORM
END
SFIX 0x20000
253-sma.bin 0x0 0x20000 NORM
END
SM1 0x40000
253-m1.bin 0x0 0x40000 NORM
END
SOUND1 0x1000000
253-v1.bin 0x0 0x400000 NORM
253-v2.bin 0x400000 0x400000 NORM
253-v3.bin 0x800000 0x400000 NORM
253-v4.bin 0xc00000 0x400000 NORM
END
GFX 0x4000000
253-c1.bin 0x0 0x800000 ALTERNATE
253-c2.bin 0x1 0x800000 ALTERNATE
253-c3.bin 0x1000000 0x800000 ALTERNATE
253-c4.bin 0x1000001 0x800000 ALTERNATE
253-c5.bin 0x2000000 0x800000 ALTERNATE
253-c6.bin 0x2000001 0x800000 ALTERNATE
253-c7.bin 0x3000000 0x800000 ALTERNATE
253-c8.bin 0x3000001 0x800000 ALTERNATE
END
END

I'm at work so I can't test it in gngeo, but that entry does work with dumpgfx. Somebody care to try it for real?

I dunno. Using an older version I can play Metal Slug X & 5 just fine. Using the latest version I can see the game's stats (power meter..etc), hear the sounds, but cannot see the ingame graphics. I tried everything I could think of to no avail, including creating a new dumpgfx file with the latest version. Ahh well...no biggie. I'm fine with the version I am using right now.

I dunno. Using an older version I can play Metal Slug X & 5 just fine. Using the latest version I can see the game's stats (power meter..etc), hear the sounds, but cannot see the ingame graphics. I tried everything I could think of to no avail, including creating a new dumpgfx file with the latest version. Ahh well...no biggie. I'm fine with the version I am using right now.
I've tested mslugX, and it work correctly. Are you sure the gfx file is correct? it looks like that gngeo can't find it.

I've tested mslugX, and it work correctly. Are you sure the gfx file is correct? it looks like that gngeo can't find it.

Yep. I let Gngeo create the gfx file itself, and it created it in the same directory as mslugx (roms). I just don;t get it. Perhaps something with the BIOS files? I did notice that I no longer had the correct unibios named after the upgrade. It was named "uni-bios.22" or something of that nature, and I had to rename it to "uni-bios.rom" for the emulator to recognize it.

Yep. I let Gngeo create the gfx file itself, and it created it in the same directory as mslugx (roms). I just don;t get it. Perhaps something with the BIOS files? I did notice that I no longer had the correct unibios named after the upgrade. It was named "uni-bios.22" or something of that nature, and I had to rename it to "uni-bios.rom" for the emulator to recognize it.

Humm very strange. The fact that uni-bios was rename to "uni-bios.22" is very odd. Looks like a corrupted fs.

Humm very strange. The fact that uni-bios was rename to "uni-bios.22" is very odd. Looks like a corrupted fs.

No, actually I was using the bios romset from the latest Mame (v0.106) and that IS what it is named there for some reason. It did work in the previous version however...from what I remember.

It seems that Gngeo relies on filenames rather that CRC checksums for the BIOS roms. IMHO it should be the other way around.

As far as I can tell, everything works great!

Is KOF2000 supposed to be completely playable, though? 'Cause I'm missing a layer (the one showing lifebars, powerbars, text, et cetera), all the other sprites work fine and I have all the files I'm supposed to have (as far as I can tell - and I've tried quite a few different combinations). Is this an issue with the emulator or have I simply picked up a bad file somewhere or something? :/
I didn't test kof2000, but maybe you need to redump it with the new dumpgfx? Or you allready did it, then it's a bug :lol:
Well, I couldn't find a copy of KOF2000 that dumpgfx would approve (and I looked for a while), so I had to piece it together from a few different archives, so it could very well be that I just got a bad file somewhere. I did use the new dumpgfx, though.

Could someone else try out KOF2000 and see if they get the same result?

Oh, and I love the hotkeys, by the way!

i found one bug with rage2x, if i run rage2x from a mount for one partition on my pc through the USB via SAMBA. Before with old version it work perfectly but with this version i have only black screen.

In telnet i have this:
[root@gp2x gngeonew]$exec /mnt/ext/gngeo/gngeonew/rage2x.gpe
SDL_GP2X: CreateDevice
SDL_GP2X: VideoInit
SDL_GP2X: Physical screen = 320x240 (ilace = 0)
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x108a28 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_GP2X: Showing cursor (nil)
SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
SDL_GP2X: ListModes
SDL_GP2X: Setting video mode 320x240 16 bpp, flags=0
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: InitHWSurfaces 0x40025800, 5089280
SDL_GP2X: Screen bucket 0x107fe4
SDL_GP2X: First free bucket 0x108d48 (size = 5089280)
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x108d60 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager adding new free bucket of 5089024 bytes @ 0x10ae38
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocated 256 bytes at 0x40025800
SDL_GP2X: Allocated cursor bucket @ 0x108d48
SDL_GP2X: Showing cursor 0x108d60
SDL_GP2X: Showing cursor 0x108d60
SDL_GP2X: Showing cursor (nil)
Setting 920t clock to 133 Mhz...
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
SDL_GP2X: Freeing cursor 0x108d60
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager freeing 256 bytes @ 0x40025800 from bucket 0x108d48
SDL_GP2X: merging with next bucket (0x10ae38) making 5089280 bytes
SDL_GP2X: VideoQuit
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: Freeing bucket 0x108d48 (size 5089280)
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurface 0x1080e8
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager freeing 153600 bytes @ 0x40000000 from bucket 0x107fe4
SDL_GP2X: DeleteDevice

Back