Global Chip Shortage Threatens Production of Laptops, Smartphones and More

at least if you're uncouth

maxresdefault.jpg

There are already a few companies producing velocars. With newer, lighter material and optional electric assist, they can be a real alternative to cars if you only use it for urban/short distance travels.

There are already a few companies producing velocars. With newer, lighter material and optional electric assist, they can be a real alternative to cars if you only use it for urban/short distance travels.
Mm I’ve been following them for a few years but this was the first time I came across a two seat amphibian velocar that old and used to cover that much distance!

If people used their cars and computers (and smartphones) longer there would not be that big of a crisis.
It's not like we don't have everything we need already.
People just want more and more all the time.

I'm not too worried about it all.
If I get back my RMAd Win 3 PCB and get my backed Astro Slider phone I have everything I could ever dream of (nah, maybe an eGPU, but not for the current price)
If I can get enough money to sustain myself, I'm a happy man and have al the luxury I need.
I don't need to buy new stuff every year. Current hardware is more than capable for anything.

My old gaming laptop from 2015 (gtx 980m) can play any game I want to play at 1080p 60 fps on high (maybe medium).
Instead of manufacturers producing faster hardware I rather wish for game companies to finally stop making 200GB 4k games which waste storage and computation power.

The only technical advancement we really need is medicine.

Last edited:
I can see velocars being better than cars, but what's their advantage compared to bicycles ? Weather protection ?

Maybe with all the shortages (current and upcoming), we’ll see a renaissance of this: https://www.recumbent.news/2021/10/26/biking-across-the-sea/
Do you know how much CO2 these things produce while working????

If people used their cars ... longer
Cars have something called Katalysator/catalyst it has a maximum working duration. After a while, it will not clean the exhaust air quality. So old cars, when they press the accelerator, will exhaust black fumes. So you need to replace (oxidated) parts.
Same with using an XT instead of a modern AMD... there is kind of a balance beween life-years (of a product) and usability v/s repair costs and replacement costs + recycle costs...

Why didn't you wait until @Nintendo post this? ;)

Last edited:
I can see velocars being better than cars, but what's their advantage compared to bicycles ? Weather protection ?
My father used to drive one, supposedly they are extremely fast.

And speed
And safety
And cargo capacity
Yup, except scrap safety. Some are so low that no one sees you, my father got into an accident thanks to that and got wounded pretty badly. The outside case does not really protect you against incoming cars, unfortunately. Though I guess that this issue could be solved by putting a flag on it…

My father used to drive one, supposedly they are extremely fast.

Yup, except scrap safety. Some are so low that no one sees you, my father got into an accident thanks to that and got wounded pretty badly. The outside case does not really protect you against incoming cars, unfortunately. Though I guess that this issue could be solved by putting a flag on it…
It depends on the vehicle but a lot of velonauts are told by drivers that they actually notice them more because they seem so unusual - but yes, a flag and reflective stripes would certainly help. There are reports where lorries have hit velomobiles and the passengers have made it out alive because the fairing helped protect them, far more than they would have been protected on a typical bicycle. Of course, it’s no silver bullet and severe accidents will still happen, as in the case with your father. It would definitely be improved with the integration of a roll cage, but it’s still got to be better than what the average bicycle offers.

It didn't make the Sinclair C5 significantly slower though, which is where I think this idea came from.
I must have confused things. I can see how it wouldn't hurt the Sinclair C5. I thought it was about those wind-slippery fully enclosed bikes with the driver in a layed back position.

Back