Gigas Engine 0.5.1

Q-Wi-Q posted on Apr 15 2004 at 08:33 PM said:
everything you stated works.

dude. if you finish this engine, I guarantee you a kick-ass RPG if your program doesn't require "language" code :p
dont worry, i dont like scripting either - its a bit silly, if they are using an RPG maker chances are they dont know how to code, yet you have to learn a language unique to that one program to use it :D

i've used a system called hotspots, which is where you select an area to act as a trigger, tick the options you want, select what you want it to do from pre-set lists and then just save and apply it, the theory is i want everything to be editable from the GP32 itself (as well as the PC based editor) so typing is out of the question.

im currently looking for map designers, artists and sound people to help with the demo, if anybodys interested in helping and has an example or two of what they can do drop me a line at gigas at pirotic dot com

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say Im very impressed, Ive been been wondering when someone would make a rpg maker for the gp32, IT just simply amazes me that someone can develop something so good from scratch, VERY NICE WORK, now keep on Impressing us! :)

Some sprites here. And a site with links to sprite rips are here including the above one.

Enjoy. :D

~GPJosh

EDIT: For the second link you have to join a Yahoo group but it has sprite sheets for everybody. B)

GPJosh posted on Apr 15 2004 at 09:22 PM said:
Some sprites here. And a site with links to sprite rips are here including the above one.

Enjoy. :D

~GPJosh

EDIT: For the second link you have to join a Yahoo group but it has sprite sheets for everybody. B)
cheers for that sprite sheet, just incorporating it atm - and it looks much better with the 6 frame walk animation ;)

Heh the combat is cool! I died tho! :D I can't wait too see the final product and to start making me some RPGs!

EDIT: Why not just put in shorter sprites insted of updating the chrono trigger ones! Umm, why not put in link from the snes one? That will fit the doorways nicely. Will there ever be a version with RF and will you be able to make Diable style games where you just hack away at hundreds of monsters and they drop loot and all that stuff (except for random dungeons).

Enslaved posted on Apr 15 2004 at 11:05 PM said:
EDIT: Why not just put in shorter sprites insted of updating the chrono trigger ones! Umm, why not put in link from the snes one? That will fit the doorways nicely. Will there ever be a version with RF and will you be able to make Diable style games where you just hack away at hundreds of monsters and they drop loot and all that stuff (except for random dungeons).

Hiya mate!

:p i suppose that would be easier, but for debugging i want to put it thru its pace's, so if it supports 6 frame walking/standing animations, i should really debug it with a 6 frame walking animation :D it'll still work with the old 3 frame ones, just show each one for 2 normal frame durations.. all seems to work ok atm, just having to go thru the tedious task of ripping the new chrono trigger graphics and placing them into the proper positions on the gigas sprite table - would be easier if these sprites were not 2 pixels taller than the last ones, oh well, just a case of changing the max_sprite_height define :D

i try to always make the sprite 'spaces' bigger than i need to, that way if i find a game which has larger sprites than say, chrono trigger - i can use them, seems stupid being stingy with the sprite sizes and limiting yourself.

As for RF, its already coded - just not implemented as i dont have two GP32s and therefore cannot test it.

Diablo huh? i suppose you could make a Diablo game, the only real problem is Gigas is tile based where as Diablo is isometric - but if you've played/seen that Four Swords game out on gamecube you'll realise you can do hack and slash pretty well with standard tile based games :D

As for the loot, you can make the enemys drop 'chests' just like in SoM, so i suppose thats possible.

hope that answers everything

the next demo game i'm making is a piss take of RPG's, it steals the kingdom hearts story of how difference 'realitys' can mix together, and you get a comedy cross-breed of Pokemon, Chrono Trigger and Zelda :p with all the main characters making cameos.. it probably wont turn out as good as im imagining it, but i'll give it a good shot ;) if you want a cameo let me know

- Pirotic

Veeeery nice. :)
Looks promising, I hope you will publish the editor-tools soon.
Is there a windows-client planned for these games? Maybe even a convertor for other RPG-Engines (graal, RPGMaker2k)?

[Edit]
From the FAQ:
Q.) Is it free?
A.) Shareware, so yes.
:huh: What exactly does that mean? Shareware isn't free IIRC.

Actually, I think that the sitches do work. Last night when I was half asleep, I understood that the house that the switches are behind would get squished when you stepped on both switches :D Unless that is what you really mean, then the switches do work for me :p

yes, I think every one here would like to have the tools before the game
not trying to say your game would suck, I just think we are all eger to get on making cool little games , and then when you update your maker, we could make even more complex things!
yay!

~Octavious

also, I like the menu how it is

just make start the menu tho, not B also

tiles are 16 pixels, which is the standard - but you can specify the tile size in the game settings so your free to do what you want.

the editor is PC based at the moment, once i get the PC editor done i'll start coding the GP32 in-game editor.

i could release the editors, but i haven't managed to get the SMC loading working yet so the data files just sit around unused - if any coders fancy helping me code the loading/saving routines drop me a message.

the other option is to go open source, so you use the editors to generate the data files, then whack the data files in the \gigas\gamedata\ folder then double click compile.bat and your whole game is a nice little fxe file :p

of course, i need to get the SMC coded at one point regardless.

- cheers

i want the editor!!!

how i got the editor yet, i want the pc version too!!!
please reply me!

(my english is poor and bad)

Back