getiplayer not giving me the full list?

Tetlee

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Have been using get-iplayer for some time, but only just realised that it doesn't give me the full list of programs.

If I type get-iplayer now for instance the top of the list starts with 446: MI High: Series 5-6

Anyone have any idea why the list is starting at the M's instead of the A's which for me aren't listed?

Hi,

It's just because the terminal, by default, will only scroll back 1000 lines, and get-iplayer's results currently fill 2000 lines (2 lines for each program).

To get the full results, change the 'scrollback' setting in Terminal's preferences (Edit->Preferences).

I need to get around to updating the PND anyways, to be honest - I vaguely remember that there's a way to show less info for each program, so they'll fit on one line each.

Hi,

It's just because the terminal, by default, will only scroll back 1000 lines, and get-iplayer's results currently fill 2000 lines (2 lines for each program).

To get the full results, change the 'scrollback' setting in Terminal's preferences (Edit->Preferences).

I need to get around to updating the PND anyways, to be honest - I vaguely remember that there's a way to show less info for each program, so they'll fit on one line each.

Wow, that was an easier solution that I was expecting, thanks so much for the quick response!

Ah, less info in the description would be so much better and less confusing to scroll down, would be great if you could do that.

EDIT: this post is back-to-front - I've no idea why.

be aware that it now includes ffmpeg (for re-packaging into mp4s) and Atomic Parsley (for retagging) so you'll want to use the '--raw' flag along with the '--get' one if you don't want them to be automatically invoked (as they take a minute or two to do their job).

ok. new version is now at the repo - should just be 1 line per program now.

Last edited by a moderator:
be aware that it now includes ffmpeg (for re-packaging into mp4s) and Atomic Parsley (for retagging) so you'll want to use the '--raw' flag along with the '--get' one if you don't want them to be automatically invoked (as they take a minute or two to do their job)

Great, thanks for updating it!

Not quite sure the implications of the above bit, is there any benefit to allowing the repackaging/retagging? and by using the --raw flag would I be going back to the standard list format with more than one line descriptions again?

Also, just to confirm, to use the --raw flag do you mean I would need to call up a download like this.... get-iplayer --get 37 --raw

.. or are you meaning somewhere else?

Thanks again.

If you're just watching what you download on your Pandora, there's no great advantage to repacking and retagging ( the --raw flag keeps the content in an flv container, rather than putting in a mp4 one).

The advantage of repacking is mainly if you were going to transfer the file to watch it on something like an xbox (which only accepts mp4 files, not flv ones), or maybe use something like xbmc on a desktop computer to view it (in which case, you'd see a nice thumbnail picture and title, rather than a big ugly filename).

The --raw flag doesn't affect the list format, just the downloaded content (so you're right, you'd just type "get-iplayer --get 37 --raw")

Back