The "must Have" List

id10t

Hi,

I am hoping one of the moderators will make this a sticky.

I'd like to see a list and short summary of what everyone feels is a "must have"
for a newbie to get the best experience from their gp2x.
I don't mean wish list, I mean stuff that's already there.
It's easy to see what the most popular downloads are, but an emulator is
an empty shell without the roms.

To show my age, my games playing peak was the ZX Spectrum 48K rubber key version,
then again with the Amiga early days. I vaguely remember wasting time playing R-type
in the arcades, but if you asked me to name the top 10 titles to play in Mame, I couldn't.
So I'm asking here!
At the minute I'm playing Bombjack ;-)

What's your top 5 for each emu?

ID

The following are by no means complete, just a couple of suggestions:

Atari 2600
- Bank Heist
- Battlezone
- Cosmic Ark
- Demon Attack
- Pole Position

Atari ST
- Buggy Boy
- Dungeon Master
- Pang
- Stunt Car Racer
- Xenon II: Megablast

C64
- Bagitman
- Chop Lifter
- Jumpman
- Powerdrift
- Wizball

GB /Color
- Driver
- Grand Theft Auto (series)
- Metroid II
- Warlocked
- Zelda (series)

Genesis
- Aladdin
- Battle Squadron
- Battle Toads and Double Dragon
- Cannon Fodder
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Chaos Engine
- Contra Hard Corps
- Cool Spot
- Dune II
- Ecco (series)
- James Pond (series)
- Jurassic Park 2
- Kid Chameleon
- King's Bounty
- Lion King
- Lost Vikings
- Lotus Turbo Challenge II
- Marble Madness
- Mega Bomberman
- Mega Turrican
- Mortal Kombat II
- Mr. Nutz
- Outrun
- Outrun 2019
- Pirates! Gold
- Power Drive
- Prince of Persia
- Psycho Pinball
- Road Blasters
- Road Rash (series)
- Rock 'n Roll Racing
- Saturday Night Slam Masters
- Sensible Soccer International Edition
- Shadow Run
- Shining Force (series)
- Smash TV
- Sonic the Hedgehog (series)
- Street Racer
- Streets of Rage 2
- Subterrania
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
- Top Gear 2
- Turrican
- Vectorman (series)
- WWF Super Wrestlemania
- WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game
- Wiz 'n Liz
- Worms
- Xenon 2: Megablast
- Zombies Ate My Neighbours

GP2X
- Beats of Rage
- BrassMunkey
- Dodgin Diamond II
- Extender
- Kurukuru2x
- LiquidWar
- Madmix
- Noiz2sa
- Payback
- Powermanga
- RetrovirusRTS
- S-Tris
- Spout
- Tilematch
- Vektar (series)
- Zoov

MAME
- Galaga
- Galaga Plus
- Phoenix
- Street Fighter II

NeoGeo
- Ghost Pilots
- Metal Slug (series)
- Neo Bomberman
- Neo Drift Out
- The King of Fighters '96

NES
- Kirby
- Punchout
- Metroid
- Super Mario Bros. (series)
- The Legend of Zelda

SMS
- Aerial Assault
- Asterix
- Bubble Bobble
- Miracle Warriors
- Ms. Pacman

SNES
- Chrono Trigger
- Donkey Kong Country (series)
- F-Zero
- Super Mario World (series)
- Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Alex

Neo Geo
Bang Bead (i bealive)
Magic Drop (series)

Snes
Earthbound (best game ever)
Super mario All Stars + Super Mario World

(ill post more when i get home)

Why having all these "Best [enter console/handheld/8-bit/16-bit computer] game that I should download" topics and do instead of these a nice survey for each console/handheld/etc.? At gp32spain.com there is a nice list of the Top10 of each system. Can we here at gp32x.de have such a list, too?! (nicely twinking to the gurus here...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Overlooked classics for each emulator:

Atari 2600: Berzerk. Best. Game. Ever.

Spectrum: Manic Miner. Second. Best. Game. Ever.

Atari ST: others have said Xenon 2, so I'll go with Kick Off 2, even if it is a bit of a bind with the GP2X controller. Powerdrift is also a good shout, the ST version is probably the best conversion that the GP2X can run.

PC Engine: R-Type. End of. Given that we can't emulate the arcade game (maybe one day), the PC Engine version's probably the most authentic conversion out there.

Neo Geo: Pulstar. Often overlooked spiritual successor to R-Type, written by most of the original R-Type coders when they left Irem.

MAME/Arcade: ooooh, so many. But they don't make them any more like Moon Cresta. Or the original vector Star Wars game.

SNES
- Chrono Trigger
- F-Zero

Can any GP2X SNES emulator even run Chrono Trigger or F-Zero at a playable framerate without severe graphics and sound issues?

SNES
- Chrono Trigger
- F-Zero

Can any GP2X SNES emulator even run Chrono Trigger or F-Zero at a playable framerate without severe graphics and sound issues?
I'm sure that any of them can run Chrono Trigger no problem, and NK'snes runs F-Zero great without sound.

- Alex

SquidgeSNES seems to run F-Zero perfectly with sound. Same for Chrono Trigger. Anyways, for the best games, get the classic GB/GBC Pokemon games. No matter what people say, Pokemon Red/Blue and Gold/Silver are incredible games.

F-zero runs fullspeed with sound in SquidgeSNES. As does Chrono trigger, with the rare transparency issue.

edit: xenonflash beat me to it (sorry, had the reply window open in the background for a while)

This thread sucks.. 'Coz theres No Screenshots!!! :)

Okay, I'm only complaining .. I don't have the druthers to make some of my own, alas .. but it sure would be nice if there were a weekly "Top-10 favourite GP2X Apps in Use" section, with a link to the app, and screenshots .. In fact, I wish there were a more active screenshot/demo section of the GP2X community sites .. right now to get my "whats going on in GP2X land" fix, I just search for gp2x on YouTube, and that is actually often quite interesting ..

Why having all these "Best [enter console/handheld/8-bit/16-bit computer] game that I should download" topics and do instead of these a nice survey for each console/handheld/etc.? At gp32spain.com there is a nice list of the Top10 of each system. Can we here at gp32x.de have such a list, too?! (nicely twinking to the gurus here...)

that'd be great for a place to have a top-# for each platform by votes.

that'd be great for a place to have a top-# for each platform by votes.
It would, but it should also be subdivided by game genre, otherwise it'd be full of crap beat-em-ups, the popularity of which I've NEVER understood.

So each platform would have a listing for the five best shmups, best platformers, best sports games, best beat 'em ups (if you must), RPGs, and so on.

We should just stick it in a/the wiki; I could host something and have been tempted for months to make a website for it, but really.. a wiki could do as well.

ie:

Top level -- show pics of each machine, such as NES, SNES, Atari ST, Amiga, etc.

Pick a machine, shows screen two..

Second level -- show genre icons; RPG, Platformer, Shooter, Fighter, etc.

Pick a genre to descent to screenshot matrix

Third level -- say a grid of 5 by 5 screenshot thumbnails -- top 25 for that genre on that machine
-- also have links to various specific system sites; like for Atari ST, coudl link to Atari Legend for comprehensive details of every game.

The page/site goal is just to have top 25 for each system/genre, and link to better sites for real hard details.

Always tempted :)

The real work is..

o agree on genres for each machine
o agreeing on top 25 of each genre for each machine
o gather screenshot(s?) for each of the top 25 for each genre

== total work estimate: say 6 genres * 15-25 games for each * 10 platforms .. so wild estimate is like 1200 screenshots needed. Yow :)

jeff

That's why this should be a one-man show, a thousand different opinions will get you nowhere.

- Alex

so just have the basic genres then have polls for the best games, simple enough (but only votes on games) cause everything else (like alex. said) will get you nowhere

This may be a bit off topic, but hardware wise I would definitely reccomend getting the Hard Drive/TV-out connection cable and a decent portable hard drive. Its brilliant being able to store several gb of music, movies and games and play them all on the go straight from the hard drive. :D

Back