Bored? Waiting? Let's Expand The Usb Compatibility List!

Prometheus

This topic was inspired by a PM I received after mentioning some additions to the Pandora Wiki's USB Compatibility List in another thread, where the matter of seemingly only being able to wait until the Pandora ships had briefly come up. If you're bored (and if you don't know how to code or other such things) and want to do something while we wait, it seems that it might be a good idea to start adding some more things to the list now, so that it's decently populated with items that we know will surely be tested on real Pandoras as they begin to arrive. :p

My PM correspondent was wondering how to go about adding items without having a Pandora to test them on, so for anyone else wondering the same, here's some info;

At the time of writing, everything on the list has been tested on Linux. The reason this is relevant is because the chances are that if a device works on one Linux distribution it will likely work on another - including the Pandora's. This is because a lot of devices are supported in the kernel, meaning that they don't need additional drivers to be loaded.

Don't worry if you don't use Linux, though - that's why there are yes/no fields for "Tested in Linux" and "Tested on Pandora". In many cases, a quick Googling might tell you whether someone out there has tested a given device on Linux. Though if you'd prefer to take a more hands-on approach, you could test out your USB peripherals with a LiveCD (Ubuntu might be a good start if you're inexperienced with Linux).

If you don't have a wiki account (why not? :p ), but still want to add stuff, just fill in the following (I've rephrased it in questionnaire format for ease of answering, but it corresponds to the tables in the compatibility list) and I'll happily add your devices for you as and when free moments present themselves;

What is the device?: [Example: "Brand X" USB Gamepad]
Does it require additional drivers to be installed before it can be used?: [If yes, where are they available from? Leave blank if unknown.]
What type of USB connector does it use?: [Example: standard-A - the most common type of USB plug.]
What USB standard does it support?: [Example: USB 1.1]
What is its current draw?: [How much power does it need? Leave blank if unknown or not applicable.]
How will it need to be connected to the Pandora?: [Example: It's USB 1.1, so it's going to need to go through a High Speed Hub or the On-The-Go port.]
Has it been tested in Linux?: [Yes/No]
Additional comments: [Is there anything else we should know about the device?]

(I hope nobody minds me making this thread - it just seemed like a good idea to have a focussed effort on this, given all the "boredom" postings that crop up. It is something everybody can use, after all. :p )

Great idea :)

I'll just re-post my wiki tips from a recent thread:
Gruso said:
- Make use of the preview function, and try to do all the fine tuning before you save your changes. That way only one entry shows up on the Recent Changes page, making it easier to review recent work.

- Add some text to the Summary box at the bottom before saving. "Added links", "fixed typos", that sort of thing. It helps to make the Recent Changes page more informative.

- Wikicode is strange if you've never seen it, but easy to pick up and "hack" if you copy it from another page. All page changes on the wiki are undoable, so don't fret about screwing it up! If you want a safe playground, you can even create your own page on the wiki (eg. http://pandorawiki.org/kingoddball). Creating a new page is as simple as typing in a URL that doesn't exist, as I did just then. Suddeny the page does exist, and you can edit it.
Also, some good advice from Javacat on inserting links. In short, link to other Pandora wiki pages wherever you can, even if those pages don't exist yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have an account on the wiki and i'm not quite sure how to enter this one but:
Any Xbox 360 (wired) controller will work through the xpad module.

EDIT: If you're curious, that also includes gamepads for PC that needs the Windows Xinput driver. Such gamepads include the Logitech Chillstream. I don't have a complete list, but if it works with X360, it will work under linux. And it's considerably easier than in Windows XP.

Excuse me if this offtopic, but is there a good list of what digital camera will work in linux as webcams when connected via USB? Because I'm considering getting a fujifilm z100fd but I want to use it as a webcam too. Is there an app or something?

ThaDSman said:
Excuse me if this offtopic, but is there a good list of what digital camera will work in linux as webcams when connected via USB? Because I'm considering getting a fujifilm z100fd but I want to use it as a webcam too. Is there an app or something?

Actually most digital cameras to my knowledge don't work as webcams. At all.

ThaDSman said:
Google indicates there's a v4l driver for it so assuming it works, there's no app, there's no installation. You plug it in and use it. Like with most hardware under linux.

zhasha said:
ThaDSman said:
Google indicates there's a v4l driver for it so assuming it works, there's no app, there's no installation. You plug it in and use it. Like with most hardware under linux.

O that's good to know thanks for the info, its a very stylish camera imo

Just added 3 devices to the list (wacom tablet, PS3 controller and Smasung s1 mini 1.8' HD)

:)

EDIT: I am just going to report this from another topic. Useful info

Tom` said:
Prometheus said:
I just got through adding a bunch of new stuff to the USB compatibility list on the wiki (namely, hard disk drives, DVD/CD drives, webcams, and USB joypads/adapters). You could join in with that - it's something to do, and useful for the future.
The list is looking good. I'll test some stuff tomorrow - incidentally, I think the output of dmesg should tell you whether the device is using Full Speed or High Speed.

for example, from my Wi-Fi card:
Code:
[    0.952950] usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
EHCI is High Speed, OHCI is Low Speed when applied to USB.
If not, surely it would be somewhere in the output of lsusb -v or lsusb -vv, but I don't know how to interpret those.

I'm hoping this would work as it designed for the EEEPC http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/asus-eee-30-gb-18-in-external-hdd-usb-black_asus-01024.html#descriptionTab_513

This is a great idea, I might give it a shot in my spare time.

Could be a good opportunity to get used to Linux before i get the panda!

Any builds that you guys would want me to consider?

Nation.A.List said:
I'm hoping this would work as it designed for the EEEPC http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/asus-eee-30-gb-18-in-external-hdd-usb-black_asus-01024.html#descriptionTab_513

I don't see the point of an external hardrive if it's only 30GB... I would rather just buy and carry 2 cheap 16GB memory card.

There are 1.8' harddrive with much greater capacity out there. For example the S1 mini from Samsung ranges from 120 to 250GB. I also believe it's the smallest 1.8' external harddrive out there (85g!). It might be a bit more expensive but you get a lot more than 30GB storage.

I actually own a Samsung s1 mini 250GB. The only problem with it is that it's Logical Block Size is 4096. Most hard drive are 512 although it looks like more will move to 4096. Partitioning and formating it with Linux is a problem because most tool don't properly support a Logical Block Size of 4096. With Palimpsest on the latest Ubuntu it was able to format it to EXT3 though. I think things will improve in the future. The windows 7 partitioner has no problem with it.

Some reading: http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3691

If the pandora includes all the standard kernel modules then it's probably easier to just list the hardware that's not compatible. I think the only time I've had hardware not instantly supported when I plug it in was the ps2 eyetoy.

chris_r said:
If the pandora includes all the standard kernel modules then it's probably easier to just list the hardware that's not compatible. I think the only time I've had hardware not instantly supported when I plug it in was the ps2 eyetoy.

I guess for some device like webcam we could have the name of the kernel driver that take charge of it and have a link to a compatibility page.

It would also be interesting to have a list of some application for use with the device. For example application with webcam support that are available on the Pandora.

I think it's still a good think to have a compatibility list... people can have a good idea of what the Pandora can do. And while Linux has generally good bluit-in driver support it's definitely not 100%.

Posted by "Christoph.K" on the German boards
http://www.digistor.com/Digistor-External-DVD-Burner-USB-2-0-Slot-Load

DVD writer with integrated battery, so you don't need an external PSU :)

ThaDSman said:
zhasha said:
ThaDSman said:

I've been looking at this stuff too, check out Gphoto2 and libgphoto2 - there's a lot of stuff in there about connecting cameras on Linux - including stuff like remote control or interval capture on some cameras.
gphoto.org
also
Compatible cameras

Kept this in this thread because that enormous list of cameras is probably relevant to the wiki, but I'm not sure how to begin including it.

a

aliking said:
ThaDSman said:
zhasha said:
ThaDSman said:

I've been looking at this stuff too, check out Gphoto2 and libgphoto2 - there's a lot of stuff in there about connecting cameras on Linux - including stuff like remote control or interval capture on some cameras.
gphoto.org
also
Compatible cameras

Kept this in this thread because that enormous list of cameras is probably relevant to the wiki, but I'm not sure how to begin including it.

a

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, but I see it has no GUI. O'well it's time start learning how to use the command line in Linux anyway, might as well start on the Pandora.

B-ZaR said:
ThaDSman said:

Actually most digital cameras to my knowledge don't work as webcams. At all.

Well, theoraetically, if your camera has an av out and you have a tv tuner card, you could set it up. Unfortunately, most cameras either have a much higher or lower (depending on whether its a video or still shot) FPS. I have heard webcams run at 15. Still shots don't have nearly that much, and don't need it. Video cameras can have anywhere from 30 to 60.

ThaDSman said:
aliking said:
gphoto.org
also
Compatible cameras

a

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, but I see it has no GUI. O'well it's time start learning how to use the command line in Linux anyway, might as well start on the Pandora.
Then go for gThumb maybe? Anyway, if your camera is intended to work as a webcam, it will create a v4l(2) device node and any webcam enabled application can take hold of it. If you want a good webcam program, look at Cheese. It's virtually identical to PhotoBooth on Mac OS X.

zhasha said:
Don't have an account on the wiki and i'm not quite sure how to enter this one but:
Any Xbox 360 (wired) controller will work through the xpad module.

EDIT: If you're curious, that also includes gamepads for PC that needs the Windows Xinput driver. Such gamepads include the Logitech Chillstream. I don't have a complete list, but if it works with X360, it will work under linux. And it's considerably easier than in Windows XP.
Added.

I also added another USB hub, too.

Back