Status
Not open for further replies.
(naw)mcx posted on May 21 2009 at 03:29 PM said:
25yvm9u.jpg
Yes, no? No, yes?

yes.

blue is 'Feb. 2008<lf>rev 1.0'
red is 'Sept. 2008<lf>rev 1.1'
green is '04/09<lf>rev 1.2/1.3' - can't really tell.

ps: where did the two SD flash controllers go? :/

Last edited by a moderator:
darkblu posted on May 21 2009 at 07:54 PM said:
ps: where did the two SD flash controllers go? :/
What two SD flash controllers..? They OMAP3530 is controlling the SD card ports.

Exophase posted on May 21 2009 at 08:53 PM said:
What two SD flash controllers..? They OMAP3530 is controlling the SD card ports.
well, whatever function the two square chips at roughly 10 and 2 o'clock north of the SD slots had. the ATMEL ones. IIRC they could be traced into the SD slot connectors on the 1.0 rev board.

ed: u22 and u18 on the 1.1 rev, u8 and u9 (AFAICT) on the 1.0 rev.

darkblu posted on May 21 2009 at 09:27 PM) [quote="Exophase posted on May 21 2009 at 08:53 PM said:
well, whatever function the two square chips at roughly 10 and 2 o'clock north of the SD slots had. the ATMEL ones. IIRC they could be traced into the SD slot connectors on the 1.0 rev board.

ed: u22 and u18 on the 1.1 rev, u8 and u9 (AFAICT"] on the 1.0 rev.[/quote]I'll try to find out what those chips are when I get a chance to look at the board ;B

I just got curious - so ignore me if you have something better to do :)
- these questions are propably to MWeston (or some other dev... )
But anyways, there was a chip on the red board where there's the JTAG on the green board.
What it is/was & where did it go? (or if removed, why not needed)
And on the green board above the chip right from the JTAG, there's an unpopulated place for a chip that's populated on the red board - what it is + why not on the green?

ver 1.0 - rev1 - blue - TEST - no wifi/bt, just a test board to get things rolling, learned a lot here and then rev2 changed a whole whack of things to be much, much better
ver 1.1 - rev2 - red - NEAR FINAL PROTO - wifi/bt, batt connector, basically ready to look like a production board but had errors and needed holes moved to line up with final case design
ver 1.2 - rev3 - green - PRE-PRODUCTION - added battery fuel gauge for better battery control and longer battery life, this is another test board that was supposed to be the same board going into production but Notaz and I found some quirks in the OMAP3 chip (such as GPIO's only being GPI's!!!)
ver 1.3 - rev4 - ??? - PRODUCTION - sort of still pre-production but also small run production board (starting soon on a run of 100 test boards to master reflow process which seems to be getting pretty good now). I just need to know that nothing else is bad on rev3 before building these and organizing software efforts to verify this is taking longer than desired.

ver 1.4 - rev5 - ??? - PRODUCTION - there will either be an identical repeat of rev4 and rev5 won't exist or this one will be to tweak mask openings to help solder balls melt better at reflow temperatures and belt speed selected. The plan is to have this right on rev4 already.

It's pretty safe to say that the Pandora board that ships to customers will have been incredibly well tested and we expect to start the second batch without changing a thing. Every single Pandora will have a complete functional test and 24-48 hour burn in cycle. This thing is way too late in shipping to customers, but when it is done, it will be a solid little product you will have fun with over the balance of your summer. Maybe there is some comfort in that. I don't know. :)

BTW: U18 and U22 are the nub controller chips. We only put those on a few boards to test the new firmware. There was no point putting them on every board until the tests are successful. Rev4 adds programming pins with a "bed of nails" setup so that firmware can be re-flashed on the fly. The chips themselves are capable of self-writing but the company that codes the nub algorithm isn't willing to put the engineering time into adding that code and testing it thoroughly for us (and I don't have access to their source code). The programming pads will be there for us to reprogram the chips right up until the day parts ship to customers, should that be necessary.

Thanks for your update, which of course makes me want to know more.
So, the green V1.2 Rev. 3 board is still pre-production.
What color will the (hopefully) production V1.3 Rev. 4 board be?
And, exactly what do you mean by "starting soon a run of 100 test boards"?
Is this ordered and awaiting completion?
Or, if it is not ordered, what hurdles are standing in the way?

Again, thanks for your attention to detail MWeston.
Waiting patiently,
j.

dflemstr posted on May 21 2009 at 10:06 AM said:
I'd prefer to have some really weird color, like some dark-blue-greenish color, or a gradient from red to blue :p
But it doesn't really matter in the end, now does it.

BTW, doesn't someone have the copyright on the Canadian flag? I don't know if you're allowed to "print it" and "sell it" just like that.
How about octarine?

. I just need to know that nothing else is bad on rev3 before building these and organizing software efforts to verify this is taking longer than desired.

ver 1.4 - rev5 - ??? - PRODUCTION - there will either be an identical repeat of rev4 and rev5 won't exist or this one will be to tweak mask openings to help solder balls melt better at reflow temperatures and belt speed selected. The plan is to have this right on rev4 already.
Uh... this sounds like we have still a long way before the Units are shipped. :-||"""
Does every electronic Device have such a large numbers of Testboards before the Unit is ready for customers?
And how long will it take to reach te final Boards and the Mass-Production of them?

fusion_power posted on May 22 2009 at 01:29 PM said:
Uh... this sounds like we have still a long way before the Units are shipped. :-||"""
Does every electronic Device have such a large numbers of Testboards before the Unit is ready for customers?
For most quality products that'd be the case, and from my point of view it's a very good sign: they take care of the quality and make sure everything works fine.

fusion_power posted on May 22 2009 at 12:29 PM said:
The last board I built is marked rev10_00, and that only ever made it to a 500 off prototype run. (and has far fewer parts than the pandora)

Laurent posted on May 22 2009 at 01:46 PM said:
For most quality products that'd be the case, and from my point of view it's a very good sign: they take care of the quality and make sure everything works fine.
Much better this way then the first batch of units breaking down.

Laurent posted on May 22 2009 at 11:46 AM said:
are you saying i'm being deprived of my rightful RROD experience on the pandora? rats.

ver 1.3 - rev4 - ??? - PRODUCTION - sort of still pre-production but also small run production board (starting soon on a run of 100 test boards to master reflow process which seems to be getting pretty good now"]. I just need to know that nothing else is bad on rev3 before building these and organizing software efforts to verify this is taking longer than desired.

And how long will it take to reach te final Boards and the Mass-Production of them?[/quote]Actually it's not long at all now, everything is waiting for the word 'go'. We just have some final wifi tests to complete, I know I know, tests tests tests, but this needs to be solid.

craigix posted on May 23 2009 at 01:15 AM) [quote="fusion_power posted on May 22 2009 at 12:29 PM) [quote="MWeston posted on May 22 2009 at 04:14 AM said:
ver 1.0 - rev1 - blue - TEST - no wifi/bt, just a test board to get things rolling, learned a lot here and then rev2 changed a whole whack of things to be much, much better
ver 1.1 - rev2 - red - NEAR FINAL PROTO - wifi/bt, batt connector, basically ready to look like a production board but had errors and needed holes moved to line up with final case design
ver 1.2 - rev3 - green - PRE-PRODUCTION - added battery fuel gauge for better battery control and longer battery life, this is another test board that was supposed to be the same board going into production but Notaz and I found some quirks in the OMAP3 chip (such as GPIO's only being GPI's!!!"]
ver 1.3 - rev4 - ??? - PRODUCTION - sort of still pre-production but also small run production board (starting soon on a run of 100 test boards to master reflow process which seems to be getting pretty good now"]. I just need to know that nothing else is bad on rev3 before building these and organizing software efforts to verify this is taking longer than desired.

And how long will it take to reach te final Boards and the Mass-Production of them?[/quote]Actually it's not long at all now, everything is waiting for the word 'go'. We just have some final wifi tests to complete, I know I know, tests tests tests, but this needs to be solid.[/quote]After this long, I want my Pandora good and stable.

And when you mean not long. Do you mean. Not long until shipping?

craigix posted on May 22 2009 at 07:15 PM) [quote="fusion_power posted on May 22 2009 at 12:29 PM) [quote="MWeston posted on May 22 2009 at 04:14 AM said:
ver 1.2 - rev3 - green - PRE-PRODUCTION - added battery fuel gauge for better battery control and longer battery life, this is another test board that was supposed to be the same board going into production but Notaz and I found some quirks in the OMAP3 chip (such as GPIO's only being GPI's!!!"]

And how long will it take to reach te final Boards and the Mass-Production of them?[/quote]Actually it's not long at all now, everything is waiting for the word 'go'. We just have some final wifi tests to complete, I know I know, tests tests tests, but this needs to be solid.[/quote]
Good to hear, Craig! Any input from you is welcome indeed. Now starts another several-page-long debate about what exactly you mean by "waiting." ;)

craigix posted on May 22 2009 at 08:15 PM said:
Actually it's not long at all now, everything is waiting for the word 'go'. We just have some final wifi tests to complete, I know I know, tests tests tests, but this needs to be solid.
NO! Bad Craig! No cookie!
You can't keep showing up, dangling the carrot in front of us, and then going "yoink"! :p

what does craig mean by "waiting"? is the mass production ready to start? are the final molds starting? waiting for shipping? waiting for 2 months? waiting for pandora 2? waiting for coffee? waiting for WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!!

let the debates begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back