Gba Emulation

would it be possible for you to put up a video online showing your settings and the performance? This might help in diagnosing any problems you might have and also go to confirming with the rest of us, what your performance is... :)

EDIT: If you even care at this point.... <_<

Notice: As of June 18th, 2007, GBA emulation on the GP2X using gpSP is fullspeed only via 1-2 frameskip. Please note that while the majority of users are satisfied with this current situation and eagerly anticipate further optimization, still individual users' opinions may vary. The author makes no guarantees, implied or expressed, about the perfection of this freeware project. Feel free to consult youtube.com for usage videos prior to download.

Is that satisfactory? Can we go home now? ;)

saehn said:
Notice: As of June 18th, 2007, GBA emulation on the GP2X using gpSP is fullspeed only via 1-2 frameskip. Please note that while the majority of users are satisfied with this current situation and eagerly anticipate further optimization, still individual users' opinions may vary. The author makes no guarantees, implied or expressed, about the perfection of this freeware project. Feel free to consult youtube.com for usage videos prior to download.

Is that satisfactory? Can we go home now? ;)
According to Akuma no Houken calling it "fullspeed" makes you a liar. I'm talking to him over PM to try to determine the correct term we're supposed to use.

Other than that, very good :B

EDIT: The argument has died down on PM, and we basically came to the agreement that there should be a FAQ entry about things like "fullspeed" and "frameskip" so new users have a clear understanding of what this means. I think this is a good idea, maybe someone can point me in the direction I need to go with this..

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you haven't got the volume limit enabled? ;). The GP2X is incredibly loud for some things, try the Neo Geo emulator on full volume :D.

Forgive my ignorance (I've never written a line of code before, so I've no idea whats involved), but if an emulator can be made to look full speed by using something like fs1, then simply saying something like "runs at full speed with the help of frameskip, otherwise runs at approximately 60% speed." would be more than appropriate. Maybe define 'frameskip' for people who have not used an emulator before.

After all, if you can't emulate the target system (cpu, audio, etc) and a certain amount of graphics at full speed, then no amount of frame skip is going to help you. So therefore, the base system is running at full speed, but the renderer may not be able to actually take the output from that system and output it in a usable format 60 times per second (or whatever).

Exophase said:
And DaveC, no offense, but your definitions are even more arbitrary - am I to understand that "fullspeed" is a fitting description but "fullspeed emulation" isn't? So the word emulation qualifies that no frames are skipped? I'm completely lost now. Why don't you all just spend a little bit more on the extra words necessary to describe something.
Yeah I was trying to come up with something to explain the difference but failed :p

As you said we should just call it "fullspeed, FS1" or something like that and call it a day.

Exophase said:
According to Akuma no Houken calling it "fullspeed" makes you a liar. I'm talking to him over PM to try to determine the correct term we're supposed to use.

Other than that, very good :B

EDIT: The argument has died down on PM, and we basically came to the agreement that there should be a FAQ entry about things like "fullspeed" and "frameskip" so new users have a clear understanding of what this means. I think this is a good idea, maybe someone can point me in the direction I need to go with this..
Uh... Wouldn't it be fullspeed anyways? For me GBA runs at 240mhz (also with with Craig's RAM timings) at fullspeed (more, or less), it just skips frames. So, wouldn't it be fullspeed but, not full framerate?

EDIT: Ugh... That's what I get for not reading the entire thread... Again...

Heres something to think about. If your playing on a GBA and a lot is happening on screen so you get a bit of lag on the screen is your gameboy no longer running full speed???

I've just tried gpsp2x for the first time in a few months, and I'm amazed at how far it's come. Before I never got any sound whatsoever and now I'm almost ready to put my NDS down coz of this emu! Well done to all those involved!!

I have a question about scaling for gpsp2x, is there any chance of a superior scaling method being used to display fullscreen on the GP2X? At the moment I stick to the unscaled option as scaled looks quite hideous! I'm not familiar with the lingo but if this could be smoothed over somehow the GP2x would definitely replace my DS for GBA and I would definitely donate (again).

quartercast said:
I have a question about scaling for gpsp2x, is there any chance of a superior scaling method being used to display fullscreen on the GP2X? At the moment I stick to the unscaled option as scaled looks quite hideous! I'm not familiar with the lingo but if this could be smoothed over somehow the GP2x would definitely replace my DS for GBA and I would definitely donate (again).
Trooper ;)

If by "superior scaling" you mean the one that blurrs it out and makes it kind of fuzzy then no it is not very practical here. Doing all of that is CPU intensive and would slow down the emu too much. It needs the highest overclock possible as it is and still drops frames so there is just not enough "oomph" in the GP2X hardware left to do it. The scaled option looks hideous because GBA res is not evenly divisible by the GP2X res at fullscreen. 1:1 is going to be the best looking option.

You could rotate the picture 90 degrees and double pixels in the vertical direction (though it'd be horizontal on the GP2X screen) but I doubt it would be very practical or look any better :D.

Orkie said:
You could rotate the picture 90 degrees and double pixels in the vertical direction (though it'd be horizontal on the GP2X screen) but I doubt it would be very practical or look any better :D.
That would murder the aspect ratio.

Speaking of which, the current scaling doesn't respect the GBA's aspect ratio (black bars), so when that's taken into consideration it will look a BIT better.

Back