Gba Emulation

Kibiru

Still Fresh
I've heard there are GBA emulators that run most games at full speed, however, looking around, the best I can find still renders most games unplayable. Am I missing something here? :blink:

Kibiru said:
I've heard there are GBA emulators that run most games at full speed, however, looking around, the best I can find still renders most games unplayable. Am I missing something here? :blink:
No, you're not missing anything - the GBA emulation is unplayably slow unless you're prepared to overclock to > 250mhz and be very choosy about what games you want to play.

Things are improving, but my gut feeling is that we will never have fully 60hz, 100% CPU speed emulation for all games. Which is a pity :(

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried about 30 GBA games and the only one I've had trouble with was Star Wars Flight of the Falcon. I play Baldur's Gate and Shining Soul at full speed, no problems. I find, now, that GBA emulation is on par with SNES IMHO.

I have played about 25 GBA games on that emulator and not a single one is even playable.

Yes I agree its almost up to par with snes emulation, which isnt saying much. I have yet to get a snes game that does better than an average 20-35 (oh sure it gets 50+ when the screen is black lol), its like taking your favorite CD, rubbing some sand paper on the bottom and then trying to listen to it.

If thats your thing, cool, but when I listen to a CD, I want to 'enjoy' it, not 'deal with' it.

Even though I like SNES and GBA better then the rest, I find myself playing Genesis games more often now because I get domn near perfect emulation

^ wow and we thought daveC was bad!

I've just tried Mario World - 60fps. So there goes your (obviously wrong) argument.

Really? I just tried Mario World on snes, very jumpy, very low frame rate, and Zelda Minish Cap on GBA, again very jumpy and low frame rate.

There goes that. I love the Gp2x and the GP32 but you all have a tendency of candy coating the truth.

BTW if you are skipping frames, to get 60 fps then you are not really getting 60 fps stop pretending.

Nope, in this instance, craigix is totally correct. I have played many SNES games on the GP2X at full speed (one of them being Mario World).

Orkie said:
Nope, in this instance, craigix is totally correct. I have played many SNES games on the GP2X at full speed (one of them being Mario World).
I strongly disagree. The first game I tried when I got my GP2x was Mario World, not even close to full speed.

Its worst than most in some cases, the screen flickers like crazy.

Then you are wrong I'm afraid :). Maybe it fluctuates at times, but the frame rate is fairly solidly around 60 for me.

Orkie said:
Then you are wrong I'm afraid :). Maybe it fluctuates at time, but the frame rate is fairly solidly around 60 for me.
Just sitting on the map in mario , with auto frameskip I get a solid 40 FPS, playing the first level (while moving) I get 30-35. If there are 0 enemies arround and I am not moving at all, I get 50 FPS. I have it on right now looking at the FPS.

pkostrze said:
I've tried about 30 GBA games and the only one I've had trouble with was Star Wars Flight of the Falcon. I play Baldur's Gate and Shining Soul at full speed, no problems. I find, now, that GBA emulation is on par with SNES IMHO.
Not even close. I've only found any games to be playable (and even then, only 25-30 fps at best) when you overclock to more than 250mhz. Zelda was reporting 60fps and looked smooth enough - until I recently grabbed myself an NDS-Lite, where the colour palette and the speed were so much better. Having compared the emulation to the DS running GBA games, I have to say that I doubt very much that reasonable GBA emulation can be done at all on the GP2X.

Which is a real shame - I honestly thought it could.

D.

Akuma no Houkon said:
Orkie said:
Then you are wrong I'm afraid :). Maybe it fluctuates at time, but the frame rate is fairly solidly around 60 for me.
Just sitting on the map in mario , with auto frameskip I get a solid 40 FPS, playing the first level (while moving) I get 30-35. If there are 0 enemies arround and I am not moving at all, I get 50 FPS. I have it on right now looking at the FPS.

On what emulator? at what cpu speed? I've finished mario world it was 100% playable always up around 50-60fps and i'm not imagining this speed I have the game on the SNES. It is one of the rare games I play through on a regular basis.

I've also played though super ghouls and ghosts twice. (and is an excellent game btw).

On DrPocketSnes, the other SNES emu wont run, there is no doc saying where to put the roms, and it wont let me navigate the file system. I cant use it even thought its got a nice skin.

My oldest son is playing my GP2x right now so I dont know what CPU speed it was on, but I have tried with the max speed I can go (250 for about 2 mins before it locks up) and it didnt change the FPS enough to make a difference.

All the GBA games were tried on 250mhz.

I don't remember if DrPocketSNES allowed me to select the rom dir or not, but here's my setup:

sd:\roms\snes\

as your discussing snes emulation now i wonder if someone could help me - im using squidgeSNES and all is working pretty well but iv got no sound and i dont understand why - help?

all my gba games are perfectly playable at 189MHz. snes, not quite as good, theyre a bit jumpy

I have to say, I`m also pretty happy with the gba emulation.
Playing mostly Summon Knight and Polarium (which got me to start making a new clone) at the moment, which plays pretty damn fine.

I also tried a few other, like Minish Cap, Fire Emblem, Megaman Zero 4, or Gunstar Heroes, which run pretty okay as well.

Everything without overclocking.
(and I still haven`t found a correct gba bios)

Back