Gba Emulation

I just want to thank Exophase for your great work. I'm playing GBA games all the time and many of them runs close to perfect with gpsp, and to know that you're still working on the project with updates to come makes me even more happy! :)

Sorry, n00b question: I am trying to get a 'game boy advance BIOS'. Can anyone point me in the direction of one?

EDIT: I've found this **POOF!!** ... but is it the right one?

fredster83 said:
Sorry, n00b question: I am trying to get a 'game boy advance BIOS'. Can anyone point me in the direction of one?

EDIT: I've found this ... but is it the right one?
That's the one I use and it works fine. Don't think you should link directly to such files in this forum though.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, this video is getting KILLER SOUND out of gpsp.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DlEsRno8bzA

Mine crackles like crazy, though most games are great speed (Castlevania, Metroid, Advance wars...Mario Kart, Mario Golf and FF Tactics..excuriataingly slow on the other hand)

anwyas...chekcing this guys settings, he's got sound buffering to like 2048bytes

I can only set it to about 16xx bytes.

what's the deal there? How's that possible? And how do I get faster sound?

ketchupgun said:
ok, this video is getting KILLER SOUND out of gpsp.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DlEsRno8bzA

Mine crackles like crazy, though most games are great speed (Castlevania, Metroid, Advance wars...Mario Kart, Mario Golf and FF Tactics..excuriataingly slow on the other hand)

anwyas...chekcing this guys settings, he's got sound buffering to like 2048bytes

I can only set it to about 16xx bytes.

what's the deal there? How's that possible? And how do I get faster sound?

That's me, got your message as well :)
This is the version I use: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=36767

Is this a BIOS thiing?

My old BIOS (call it "A") in my old version of gpsp worked fine..no "wrong BIOS" messages.
I upgrade GPSP to the new one with better sound and the old BIOS is "wrong" .. so I find a new one ("B") and it looks like its fine..no error messages...everything seems to be working fine.

Explain this little hiccup then:
I start up Mario Golf Advance with the newest EMU and the newer BIOS(B) and it take me to a screen with "RPG mode" "QuickPlay" "Options etc etc etc"..when I hit RPG mode or Quick play, it just goes back to the "Gameboy bios screen"..and I can't play it. (btw, GrandTheftAuto just resatrts itself as well)

Under the circumstances of the Old Emu and Bios A, it would launch out of the title screen directly into RPG mode.

I try this same ROM in my VisualBoy Advance on my Mac, and it too goes straight to RPG mode, no options selection screen.

Any answers on that?

--
ketch

ketchupgun said:
Is this a BIOS thiing?

My old BIOS (call it "A") in my old version of gpsp worked fine..no "wrong BIOS" messages.
I upgrade GPSP to the new one with better sound and the old BIOS is "wrong" .. so I find a new one ("B") and it looks like its fine..no error messages...everything seems to be working fine.

Explain this little hiccup then:
I start up Mario Golf Advance with the newest EMU and the newer BIOS(B) and it take me to a screen with "RPG mode" "QuickPlay" "Options etc etc etc"..when I hit RPG mode or Quick play, it just goes back to the "Gameboy bios screen"..and I can't play it. (btw, GrandTheftAuto just resatrts itself as well)

Under the circumstances of the Old Emu and Bios A, it would launch out of the title screen directly into RPG mode.

I try this same ROM in my VisualBoy Advance on my Mac, and it too goes straight to RPG mode, no options selection screen.

Any answers on that?

--
ketch
Well you are doing better than me... cause there are only two games that I am trying to play on the GBA emu and those are Mario Golf Advanced which does not even boot up... and Mario Power Tennis which boots up to the opening screen and then when I hit "start" it reboots.

I have tested it with a game called "International Karate Advanced" and it seems to work ok... though a little slow. What am I missing... are there some settings that I need to change?

While I wait for an answer I will read from the beginning of this thread, thanks.

I love the GBA emulator. I was one of these fools who bought the GBA when it first came out and never upgraded to a lit screen so seeing some of my old games on the gp2x fully lit is very nice.

My favourite game has to be Golden Sun and although it runs quite slowly sometimes without sound I love it to bits.

As for problems in setting it up I had none. But it took me a while to work out how to save the cpu speed :S

After trying the newest version of the emulator, I'm impressed. I've only tried 3 games with it so far (Sonic Advance, Wario Ware and Golden Sun), and SA & WW both run full speed, only with sound issues (lag and it sometimes scrambles for a few seconds). Golden Sun was a bit slow, but I haven't tried it without sound yet. I'm starting to believe that if someone can be bothered to program it so it can use the second core to process sound (like in Picodrive) then we'll probably be able to experience full speed GBA emulation on most games some day. We can only hope :p

Barnaby said:
After trying the newest version of the emulator, I'm impressed.
Echo that for sure!
Seriously, DEVs, you're relaly hitting a stride here. This emu is amazing. and I can't believe the wealth of games playable atm.

I've been playing ALOT of serious Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Advance wars...great speed, great sound, full 16:9 ... sure there's a couple of little glitches, but hey, this is pretty unreal adancement for GBA emu.

atm FFTactics is also at a good speed, the Tony Hawk's are not.
Mario Golf...I keep getting launched out of it...which leads me to a question:
How do you kow you have the right BIOS? (can you trust the app not giving you a "wrong bios" message)

just thought i would ask here,

has anyone tried to use Goomba with the gba emulator on the 2x (goomba is a gb/gbc emulator for GBA, you put gb/gbc roms in and it makes a gba rom with the emulator included)
i think its meant for use on the gameboy micro (micro doesnt have any GB/GBC hardware) but it works with any gba.

i assume it works im just wondering (it doesnt matter to me if it works or not im just curious if anyone has/had tried it)

Samba Pa Ti said:
just thought i would ask here,

has anyone tried to use Goomba with the gba emulator on the 2x (goomba is a gb/gbc emulator for GBA, you put gb/gbc roms in and it makes a gba rom with the emulator included)
i think its meant for use on the gameboy micro (micro doesnt have any GB/GBC hardware) but it works with any gba.

i assume it works im just wondering (it doesnt matter to me if it works or not im just curious if anyone has/had tried it)

Running one emulator inside another emu in the GP2X....this is going mad!!!!! Insane ;);)

Is it just me or are there really only 2 display modes for GpSp, really tiny and really stretched-out. After playing many snes and megadrive games on the GP2X, this is the only emulator that I have a problem with when doing fullscreen. Am I missing an option or something or does everyone experience either a stretched or tiny image with this emulator?

fredster83 said:
Is it just me or are there really only 2 display modes for GpSp, really tiny and really stretched-out. After playing many snes and megadrive games on the GP2X, this is the only emulator that I have a problem with when doing fullscreen. Am I missing an option or something or does everyone experience either a stretched or tiny image with this emulator?
Because the GBA's resolution is only 256x160, it will appear tiny on the GP2X screen if not stretched. And when it's stretched, about half of the pixels will double and half of them stay normal, which means is ugly. SNES however, has much better resolution (256x224), and will look ok when fullscreen, because not so many pixels are stretched. I prefer playing snes unstretched though, because it's almost the same as the GP2X resolution.

Back