Release Daphne WIP

BAFelton,

You may also want to try the scripts that were in posts #98 and #100. Both methods work well for reencoding the Daphne files.

Good luck, this is an awesome emulator on the Pandora!
+1 for the scripts. That was out of my scope, but may be easier if you know how to run them. I'm a drag, drop, and clik kind of guy personally! ;)

Chris

Thanks for the explanations ! They're useful even if I used the scripts just before your post.

I know people who don't like scripts so I'll give them the SUPER solution.

Made a french tutorial here : http://caanoo.forumactif.org/t2790-tuto-installer-un-jeu-laserdisc-pour-daphne#21169

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, linux newb trying to scunch these video files to get daphne to run more smoothly.

I installed "small-ffmpeg-gui" http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=ffmpeg-small-ffmpeg-gui-269

I've put the script into a text file in the same directory as the m2v files and named it "script.sh"

using terminal I've navigated to said directory.

i type:

"./script.sh"

and it returns the following error:

./script.sh: line3: ffmpeg: command not found

./script.sh: line5: ffmpeg: command not found

rm: cannot remove 'newdir/*.mpg': No such file or directory.

Can someone explain how to get / use ffmpeg correctly?

Thanks.

I think you shouldn't reencode on the Pandora. This will take several days at 100% cpuusage. Better use a pc with linux to use the scripts.

I don't have a windows pc, so unfortunately I don't know how it works there.

Somebody here might be able to help you though.

There were some suggestions for windowsusers. The ffmpeg scripts should work almost like the linuxversions, you just need to convert from bash to batch script.

ok managed to blag a pc :)

got a working ffmpeg.exe in the dir with the files and the bat file but i have no clue how to modify the script so it's a valid bat (as is it falls over on the first line) Could someone help with a script for pc?

all the command line arguments for ffmpeg should be the same for windows/linux/mac etc

ffmpeg is great but such a pain to use... one of the only commands I know where it actually matters what order you enter the arguments in.

I have been asked by a few people on how to re-encode the mpeg files step-by-step, so here goes on a PC running Windows:

I used FFMPEG which is a free download here:

http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

Then, I basically copied the encoding/demux command line mcobit used... which runs it in 2 parts, first an encode then a demux. To do this I created 2 small BAT files:

ENCODE.BAT

Code:
ffmpeg -i %1.m2v -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -deinterlace -s 640x480 %1.mpg

erase %1.m2v

DEMUX.BAT

Code:
ffmpeg -i %1.mpg -vcodec copy -an %1.m2v

erase %1.mpg

Then, I copied all of the relevant M2V files into a directory, along with ffmpeg.exe (in the bin directory of the ffmpeg download), and these three BAT files. I opened a DOS Prompt with Admin rights, CDed to this directory, and did the following:

I ran ENCODE <name>, and when that finished, I rand DEMUX <name>, where <name> is the m2v filename without the m2v extension. So, for example, with lair.m2v, I did the following at the C: prompt:

ENCODE lair

DEMUX lair

What is left is a new lair.m2v that has been encoded down to a 640x480 with a 2k bitrate.

NOTE: This will erase the original higher-resolution/higher-bitrate M2V files in that directory so make sure you are working with backups!

Finally, just copy them back over the other M2V files on your Pandora, and DELETE the .DAT files so that the emulator will rebuild them from the new M2V files .

Hope that helps!

And to make a demux.bat or encode.bat, i just created a file text with the code and then rename both files.

Hope it will help

Hope it will help
EXCELLENT It helped lots. THANKS. Using that I managed to get DragonsLair working perfectly. I had to feed the files in one at a time but there aren't to many in DL so that wasn't a problem...

Then I looked at DL2. oh :/ it's got HUNDREDS of files to convert. Can't do that by hand so I thought, can I modify the frame text file and use that as a .bat file.

so I made a batch file:

CONVERT.bat

as shown in the previous post

then i made a second batch file:

DL2.bat

CONVERT file1

CONVERT file2

CONVERT file3

etc.

but that doesn't work.. It only converts the first file, file1, then stops.

Can anyone show me how to do this right :)

I apologise for being a complete dope but I'm sure lots of newbies will find this interesting.

And even if this goes no further, Dragon'sLair is an absolute joy on the open pandora, Thanks to everyone involved in bringing it to me.

*****EDIT******

OH it's ok I figured it out.

call CONVERT file1

call CONVERT file2

call CONVERT file3

etc.

ok next problem. Dragon'sLair and SpaceAce are working nicely. Dragon's Lair II also works but every time I run it it insists on re parsing the video files. The .dat files are getting written to the directory and I tried deleting them and forcing Daphne to create a new set but It still insists on creating them again from scratch every time DLII is played.

Any ideas?

Just received my Pandora and started playing around with Daphne tonight. Big thanks to everyone who posted to this thread, there was enough information for me to get up and running fairly quickly. I'm now enjoying all my classic favorites on this tiny little device. Just in case I overlooked the information, I'm curious on how to force all the games to go full screen by default, can someone remind me how this is done?

Isn't there a configurationoption you can check for the games to start in fullscreen?

This should stay saved, if you ckecked the box.

But I can't remember right now... Need to check, when I get home today.

Don't worry about I found the option that you mentioned in the config tab of Daphne. I've got everything running full screen and life is good again.

I just updated to SuperZaxxon Beta 5a and can no longer get Daphne to run properly. After selecting the rom file and then the framefile, things start up just as they had previously but I can't get the start one player to register (either 1 or start) and if I press "2" the 2 player game will start but the D-pad will not register moves on either player 1 or player 2. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmm, need to test that.

There shouldn't be anything, that would cause this behaviour in b5a.

Edit: Anyone else having this problem?

So, I've continued my attempts at troubleshooting. Using the exact same SD card with Z Hotfix 6, Daphne works perfectly. If I boot into the older kernel (2.6.27) on SZ b5a, Daphne works perfectly. It is just when using kernel 3.2 I have the problems I posted above. As a non-computer person, I don't really understand what this could mean or if anything can be done about this. Any insight would be great!

As said, has anybody else problems with it? I deleted my daphne serup sdcard and would need some time to set it up again, if I needed to test it.

Yeah, having some real problems here on my szb5a 256mb cc Pandora. Takes an *age* to start a game after inserting a credit, (ages to even get to the rom startup sequence) and then ignores (or is very erratic interpreting) the dpad controls.

D.

That is really strange. Will check at the weekend, if I get some time.

Could someone with those problems please post the /tmp/pnd_run.daphne.out and daphne.log file from appdata?

Back