Gametrac/gizmondo

I like it

I have been trying to pre order it but no shops know what it is and its due out here next month (UK).

I want to try and support the device as much as i can as its manufactered in the UK and i think its a UK company that is behind it.

To be honist i can't see it dethroning Nintendo but it could be a good rival for the PSP. The deviced have similar specs and look like they are goping for the same movie/mp3/games crowd.

Rumours suggest the RRP could be as low as £60 or as high as £199 but i have never heard a price tage greater than £199 so it looks like its going to be £50-£100 less then the PSP for starters.
I highly doubt that this will compete with the psp

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it

I have been trying to pre order it but no shops know what it is and its due out here next month (UK).

I want to try and support the device as much as i can as its manufactered in the UK and i think its a UK company that is behind it.

To be honist i can't see it dethroning Nintendo but it could be a good rival for the PSP. The deviced have similar specs and look like they are goping for the same movie/mp3/games crowd.

Rumours suggest the RRP could be as low as £60 or as high as £199 but i have never heard a price tage greater than £199 so it looks like its going to be £50-£100 less then the PSP for starters.
the sony logo alone will atract consumers
remember when ps2 was released

I like it

the sony logo alone will atract consumers
remember when ps2 was released
Not only that, the PSP is WAAAY more powerful than the dorkmondo. And the screen is way bigger too 4.5" vs 2.8" OUCH!

I did not say it was going to do better than the PSP i said it COULD be a good rival. The PSX and Saturn were rivals but the PSX outsold the Saturn by something like 2-1.

The PSP is Sonys atempt to lure the stupid Playstation owning Sheep into buying another shoddy device and charging way over the odds for it. The £250-£300 pricetag along will be enough to stop most of Sonys target audience of 13-20 year olds as most of them do not have that kind of income and i can't see the parents forking out for that until Christmas.

The PSP and Gizmondo both look cheap and i would go as far to say tacky. They are both trying to do the same things and as far as i can see the important parts of the specs are not very diffrent.

The Playstation brand is enough to sell the unit but at the right price. The PSX and PS2 only started to sell once they had been drasticly reduced. £250-£300 for a handheld is atleast £100 too expensive IMO and with the right marketing and games the Gizmondo could capitalise on that.

IMO and with the right marketing and games the Gizmondo could capitalise on that.
Whoops.

i doesn't seem to me like it would have enough power to get something like ps1 or n64 and deffinently not saturn
i am not really on top of jaguars specs so i am not sure about this one
it seems like a lot more power
just not enough to make the console of the mid 90s emulated at playable speeds

I don't think ANY of the current crop of handhelds will be powerful enough to emulate the first generation of 3D consoles at a decent speed. We could be thinking about Neo-Geo or CPS emulation, though.

There wont b emulatio but DS is N64 and above gafix and PSP is just below PS2 grafix
True...and both the Zodiac and Gizmondo (still find that name stupid) are capable of N64-ish graphics, but that doesn't mean they can emulate consoles of similar capabilities.

Mind you, I remember when I had an original P166 that ran N64 emulation nicely...

Mind you, I remember when I had an original P166 that ran N64 emulation nicely...
Uhhh I'm sorry but a P166 was never able to do N64 emulation nicely. :rolleyes:

A 1 ghz with a good video card still has trouble with N64 emulation.
Oh, I should have remembered you were staring over my shoulder when I was playing on my PC all those years ago.

I didn't say PERFECTLY, I said NICELY...don't make me get the dictionary definition of 'nice'. :p Full of graphical glitches and hardly playable, but amazing to see it running on my P166 at all.

I think you guys are under estimating the GZ a bit, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the PSP have a 333 mhz cpu. Thats pretty good and you see what it can do with Death Jr, now look at the GZ with 400 mhz. If PSP can do that, then GZ should be able to do similiar, so IMO I think its safe to say that the GZ is much faster than Gp32. Plus Gizmondo has the advantage of having GPS, GPRS, and bluetooth for multiplayer games, all of these together can make a pretty kick ass game.

BTW, Zcbarry and I had the first Gametrac website.

There wont b emulatio but DS is N64 and above gafix and PSP is just below PS2 grafix
True...and both the Zodiac and Gizmondo (still find that name stupid) are capable of N64-ish graphics, but that doesn't mean they can emulate consoles of similar capabilities.

Um the Zodiac is no where near N64 quality 3D, maybe Sega Saturn. The N64 had perspective correction Full screen antialiasing, Zbuffer, Mip Mapping. The Zodiac has absolutely no 3D hardware, not sure about the jizzmondo.

I did not say it was going to do better than the PSP i said it COULD be a good rival. The PSX and Saturn were rivals but the PSX outsold the Saturn by something like 2-1.

The PSP is Sonys atempt to lure the stupid Playstation owning Sheep into buying another shoddy device and charging way over the odds for it. The £250-£300 pricetag along will be enough to stop most of Sonys target audience of 13-20 year olds as most of them do not have that kind of income and i can't see the parents forking out for that until Christmas.

The PSP and Gizmondo both look cheap and i would go as far to say tacky. They are both trying to do the same things and as far as i can see the important parts of the specs are not very diffrent.

The Playstation brand is enough to sell the unit but at the right price. The PSX and PS2 only started to sell once they had been drasticly reduced. £250-£300 for a handheld is atleast £100 too expensive IMO and with the right marketing and games the Gizmondo could capitalise on that.
I still believe that there is no way the gizmondo can compete with the psp. Even though the psp has a high price tag people will buy it because they know playstation always finds a way to get astonishing games.

Can you explain why playstations are a shoddy device?

Their specs may be the same but are the games, cause in the end, thats all that matters right?

Arent they making a gta game for the psp? My point exactly.

Mhz doesn't really mean anything unless both machines are using identical processors with the same hardware. For example, a Pentium133 can beat the GP32's 166Mhz processor several times over.

Until we find out what else the Giz & PSP devices have, I'd suspend judgement. The PSP may have a 333Mhz processor, but may be able to shift half the processor intensive tasks to another part of the system, which could make it faster than the 400Mhz Giz.

I still believe that there is no way the gizmondo can compete with the psp. Even though the psp has a high price tag people will buy it because they know playstation always finds a way to get astonishing games.

Their specs may be the same but are the games, cause in the end, thats all that matters right?

Have you not heard about the blue screen of death and the lawsuit against Sony with regards to the PSX and PS2?

A lot of PSX and PS2 consoles have RUMORED to be faulty on purpose so after a year they start to develop disc read errors and the owner has to but another console.

I am quite sure the lawsuit is still ongoing and they have been filed in Europe and the USA.

Also i have got a Sony Mini disc and a Sony portable Cd player and within 1 month of getting them both screwed up. I was able to get the CD repaired but the mini disc had to be replaced then i got the same fault and was told by Sony it had been a faulty batch and the new one was from another batch. All was fine then two days after the year waranty ran out it developed the fault again and was left with a £200 mini disc player/recorder that i could not use.

I went out and bought an Awia one for £100 and not only was it a nicer design but its now been working for almost three years without any problems.

Sony products cost a little bit extra when compared to other brands yet the quality is far worse. I would go out of my way to avoid buying another Sony product if i could.

Back to the topic

I do not think its the Sony name that sell the devices but the third party games that they are slowly losing. If you take away the GTA, Tekken, Smackdowns then what is the Playstation brand left with?

Some below par rubbish both Microsoft and Nintendo can survive without third party support but its vital to Sonys sucess.

I do not think its the Sony name that sell the devices but the third party games that they are slowly losing. If you take away the GTA, Tekken, Smackdowns then what is the Playstation brand left with?
Square Soft with the FF serie

see you :lol:

Um the Zodiac is no where near N64 quality 3D, maybe Sega Saturn. The N64 had perspective correction Full screen antialiasing, Zbuffer, Mip Mapping. The Zodiac has absolutely no 3D hardware, not sure about the jizzmondo.
Well, I've not tried it myself, but those screenshots looked fairly smooth without all the pixelating I associate with PS1 games. The PS1 could actually throw around more polygons than the N64...it was just the special efffects you mentioned that made the games look prettier.

Still, I'm sure you're right.

Have you not heard about the blue screen of death and the lawsuit against Sony with regards to the PSX and PS2?

A lot of PSX and PS2 consoles have RUMORED to be faulty on purpose so after a year they start to develop disc read errors and the owner has to but another console.

I am quite sure the lawsuit is still ongoing and they have been filed in Europe and the USA.

Also i have got a Sony Mini disc and a Sony portable Cd player and within 1 month of getting them both screwed up. I was able to get the CD repaired but the mini disc had to be replaced then i got the same fault and was told by Sony it had been a faulty batch and the new one was from another batch. All was fine then two days after the year waranty ran out it developed the fault again and was left with a £200 mini disc player/recorder that i could not use.

I went out and bought an Awia one for £100 and not only was it a nicer design but its now been working for almost three years without any problems.

Sony products cost a little bit extra when compared to other brands yet the quality is far worse. I would go out of my way to avoid buying another Sony product if i could.

Back to the topic

Some below par rubbish both Microsoft and Nintendo can survive without third party support but its vital to Sonys sucess.
Hmm no i didnt hear about that, i have never ran into problems with any of my Playstation. They could cost a little xtra but they still have some great games.

FF series
im not sure is MGS still on ps?
Kingdom Hearts series
Driver
Ratchet and Clank series
Jak series
GT series
Onimusha series

Whats left when u take away mario, metroid, and zelda series from nintendo? Pokemon games? yea, ps really needs those kinds of games <_<

Back to the topic

You are so full of #### how much is nintendo paying you? WTF is it with nintendo fan boys? Why is there such allegiance to nintendo? Why have any allegiance to anyone?, they're all just companies out to make money. How can you call the PSP crap and that it looks cheap? The DS looks cheap but of course you would never admit that cause everything Nintendo makes is a gift from god eh? WTF is this nintendo phenomenon I think it should be studied. No doubt you think the N64 was a great machine. A good rival the gizmondo to a PSP, are you kidding? The DS might be a good rival.

Back to the topic

You are so full of #### how much is nintendo paying you? WTF is it with nintendo fan boys? Why is there such allegiance to nintendo? Why have any allegiance to anyone?, they're all just companies out to make money. How can you call the PSP crap and that it looks cheap? The DS looks cheap but of course you would never admit that cause everything Nintendo makes is a gift from god eh? WTF is this nintendo phenomenon I think it should be studied. No doubt you think the N64 was a great machine. A good rival the gizmondo to a PSP, are you kidding? The DS might be a good rival.
Lol, nicely said

Back