The Next Gp32

Phil posted on Apr 29 2004 at 10:31 AM said:
<rant>psp.........hmmm someone said it will do to mobile gaming what the ps did to home gaming. i certainly hope not. i don't want to picture a world dominated by hi-tech 3rd rewind time ultra realistic stealth action, i want fun mobile gaming, i want humor. i want SPRITES! can you imagine no more street fighters, no more 2d sonic no more good old gameplay over graphics. i want the PSP to bomb unmercifully.

Crash and burn baby, crash and burn.</rant>

Are you serious? Honestly. Home consolewise Sony had a huge library of great 2d games (Castlevania, Suikoden, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Arc The Lad etc... the list goes on and on). Nintendo on the otherhand....has none.

If anyone is responsible for that death of 2d gaming goodness, its NINTEDO. They released their N64, and went totall 3d. Where as sony still had / has a great library of 2d games. How can you possibly compare that?

"But but but the GB's have mostly 2d games! thats what I mean!" Which is a bogus argument. You know what GB/GBC/GBA mostly have 2d games? Because thats all the systems specs can handle! Its not by choice that they are flooded with 2d games, its by lack of choice. Once Nintendo gets their next gen handheld, they will do the same thing as what they did when they got their next gen console. They will go 3d. Its inevitable. It will happen. And nintendo will do it. Regardless of sony's position, or the success or failure of the PSP. To think otherwise is self imposed blindness.

You cant blame the progress from 2d to 3d on sony, even if the PSP fails miserably, 2d mobile gaming will die, it will be replaced by 3d pollygons, just like it did on the PC and home consoles. (a sad sad thing)

Sony kept 2d console gaming alive long after Nintedo abandoned it. So blaming this on sony is really stupid.

I can picture you now, hands on your head, sitting in a corner rocking saying over and over again "sony is the bad guy, sony is the bad guy" :p (friendly smile)

Last edited by a moderator:
ide like to see handheld windows
that would have the best homebrewn scene ever
although it would need some kick ass specs

i don't mean like the hand held laptops
but like an actually handheld with a joystick and buttons

gametrac has windows ce
why couldn't something else have 2000

diablo2 posted on Apr 29 2004 at 07:00 PM said:

gametrac has windows ce
Because the overhead would be so high, you would need a 2000mhz (2ghz) system with a massive video card just to be able to play the latest games. It would effectivly be a PC that you can hold in your hands. It would end up being the price of a new laptop ($2000), because thats what it would be really. Not to mention that to run that powerfull of a CPU and video card, the battery would have to be the size of a laptops battery (those are pretty big) which would end up being twice the size of the unit itself!

FYI: Dreamcast uses WinCE also.

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 30 2004 at 02:59 AM said:
diablo2 posted on Apr 29 2004 at 07:00 PM said:

gametrac has windows ce
Because the overhead would be so high, you would need a 2000mhz (2ghz) system with a massive video card just to be able to play the latest games. It would effectivly be a PC that you can hold in your hands. It would end up being the price of a new laptop ($2000), because thats what it would be really. Not to mention that to run that powerfull of a CPU and video card, the battery would have to be the size of a laptops battery (those are pretty big) which would end up being twice the size of the unit itself!

FYI: Dreamcast uses WinCE also.
But the emus would all be soooo easy to port from the PC (that s why there are so many on PPC) And we would have full speed SNES w/sound.

Back