Best Handheld For Emulation

4LPH4 W0LF

Still Fresh
Im sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm thinking of condensing down my library of consoles, and wanted to know which handheld is best for emulation, so i can have one all-around handheld, and not have so many collecting dust. im looking for:
-Decent build quality
-some games that dont require emulators (homebrew or commercial)
-emulates Sega Genesis/CD/possibly 32x, Super Nintendo, NES, GB/C/A, Turbografx16, SMS/GG, MAME,Neo Geo, MSX, Atari Lynx and Atari 2600 smoothly/semi smoothly
-it would be great if it could run PSX (and have it playable, of course), and i know im probably asking too much, but maybe have N64 and/or Saturn emulation playable.
-im trying not to get a Pandora (dont have the money)
i already have the following
-GP2X F100
-Tapwave Zodiac
-N Gage QD
if there is something better than these listed above (other than PSP, id rather not mod it, tried it once before and it turned out miserably), let me know. Im currently looking at the Wiz, Caanoo, Gizmondo, A320, A330, or Gemmei, but if theres one i dont know of then let me know. Thanks for your help!

All roads point to Caanoo as the best investment in terms of time and money .. its a wonderful machine and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed in the range of emulators available for it - as well as new homebrew and other stuff on the horizon ..

thanks for your input guys. Im wondering though, is there anything the Caanoo does that the wiz doesnt or anything the Caanoo does better than the Wiz? cause from what ive heard, the wiz is a good machine too, and i like the idea of having a dpad... but i cant decide if id like it better than a stick.
Edit: also, is the Homebrew scene dead on the Wiz?
Edit 2: ive heard that the Wiz's screen can actually rot. does this happen and how soon can it happen? overall im leaning towards caanoo right now
Edit 3: one thing that im not liking about the Caanoo is the lack or a wonderswan color emulator and neo geo pocket color. these are on the Wiz, do they work with Ginge? or are their native ports i dont know about yet

4LPH4 W0LF said:
Edit: also, is the Homebrew scene dead on the Wiz?
It's not impossible for something new to appear, but maybe.

4LPH4 W0LF said:
Edit 2: ive heard that the Wiz's screen can actually rot. does this happen and how soon can it happen? overall im leaning towards caanoo right now
I believe this is only possible when the screen is damaged.

4LPH4 W0LF said:
Edit 3: one thing that im not liking about the Caanoo is the lack or a wonderswan color emulator and neo geo pocket color. these are on the Wiz, do they work with Ginge? or are their native ports i dont know about yet
They would probably work with GINGE, since it has excellent compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you like a bigger screen and have bigger hands probly a caanoo would be good, but if the nub goes ur probly screwed, If you like a smaller more portable handheld with a dpad and awsome looking screen go for the Wiz.. IMO. I play streetfighter alpha 3 on mine almost everyday with no probs yet and Lots of PSX rpgs play great for me Lunar 2, Dragon quest 7, Arc the lad and RE 2,3

I'm going to agree with others and say the Caanoo. Only other possibility is if the PS Vita gets jailbroken, but given that console's potential dependence on online connectivity, even that may be a bad prospect. I'll admit I'm personally looking forward to the Vita being jailbroken though. I anticipate it could get full speed DC and/or emulation of at least some games eventually in addition to solid n64 and psx emulators.

Back